torque converter questions

BlackSnakeMoan

Pokemon
Reaction score
I just finished installing a 2900 stall tc and i have a few concerns.

1- how many liters did u put in a new tc? (i did put 3)
2- I felt that the steering wheel is a bit stiffer. What should i do?

the guy who did the install say i better check the oil level at the dealership because the new oil cooler i installed taked oil and is not independent as the stock one.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check power steering fluid with regards to the steering being stiffer.

Trans, was the new trans cooler installed in addition to the factory cooler? How much larger is the new one vs the factory unit? Not sure what you mean by the stock one being "independent".

I filled the torque converter slowly with as much fluid I could before installing. If you fill it and wait a few minutes, the fluid will settle and you can fill it more. I think I repeated that a few times but don't remember how many quarts it actually ended up taking.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Isn't that when

your step daughter tells you to "shut the fuck up" and means it?

BlackSnakeMoan

Pokemon
Reaction score
Check power steering fluid with regards to the steering being stiffer.

Trans, was the new trans cooler installed in addition to the factory cooler? How much larger is the new one vs the factory unit? Not sure what you mean by the stock one being "independent".

I filled the torque converter slowly with as much fluid I could before installing. If you fill it and wait a few minutes, the fluid will settle and you can fill it more. I think I repeated that a few times but don't remember how many quarts it actually ended up taking.

No i replaced the old cooler and the old one is a bit bigger.

BlackSnakeMoan

Pokemon
Reaction score
ya and theres this strong vibration that stays for about 5 secs coming from the tc area when im going 55 mi/h. Happened to me 3 times in the last 2 days.
Do u know what might have caused it?

tlt05gt

Larry's Transmission
Reaction score
You only need to put about a quart of fluid in the converter. The more you put the better ( and more messy). If your getting a vibration at 55mph you need to check the converter bolts and trans mount first. If those are ok I would run it on a lift to find out where its coming from. I own a Transmission Shop and do these all day.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is probably a noob question...but was is the stall on the stock TC?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back