Torsen vs OEM LSD

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
You know what makes a lot of sense? For you to buy me a Torsen T2R.

Me? Buy YOU a T2R? You confuse me for someone with money! :) People aren't willing to pay high enough taxes to pay me that kind of money! :hi:

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
Second in line if Whiskey is buying Torsens for people!!

I skimmed quickly and didn't see it in this thread but I have read it on this forum somewhere. Is the bias ratio number available for the TruTrac?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Second in line if Whiskey is buying Torsens for people!!

I skimmed quickly and didn't see it in this thread but I have read it on this forum somewhere. Is the bias ratio number available for the TruTrac?

Somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5, depending on application. That's all I was able to find.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Me? Buy YOU a T2R? You confuse me for someone with money! :) People aren't willing to pay high enough taxes to pay me that kind of money! :hi:

Well have you considered selling some of those drugs that you confiscate? That way you don't require higher taxes and...AND you help out a different kind of addiction that we all have. Pretty good huh? I feel pretty smart right now for scheming that. You should roll with it Whiskey. We could all benefit from a Torsen.

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
I found a guy on the SVT forums selling what he claimed to be the Torsen out of the Boss cars for $500 a pop, except the part number he gave was CR3Z 4026 A. I did some googling but cant seem to nail down if this part number is legit and correct. Anyone have any idea?

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
T-2 . . . scroll halfway down.

Keep in mind that it is a piece of advertising, so the Torsen may also lose a little bias ratio as wear accumulates. Just not as much as a clutch-type limited slip diff.

T-2R

Norm

What I got out of that was that' according to Torsen, the Torsen starts off better than the clutch LSD and doesn't deteriorate.

I believe one part of that ad completely and that is the durability portion.

A good aftermarket clutched LSD might have more traction than Torsen wants to admit. When I get to a computer I'll visit a few websites and see what they got.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I found a guy on the SVT forums selling what he claimed to be the Torsen out of the Boss cars for $500 a pop, except the part number he gave was CR3Z 4026 A. I did some googling but cant seem to nail down if this part number is legit and correct. Anyone have any idea?

CR3Z-4026-A is the Ford part number for the Boss/GT500/track pack Torsen T2, and is the exact same as the M-4204-MB through FRPP. $500 is a decent deal for takeout units. I sold a used one a couple months ago for about that price ($550 shipped on Ebay).

And my mistake on the Bias I mentioned earlier. I thought both T2's were 2.7, but they're not.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Somewhere between 2.5 and 3.5, depending on application. That's all I was able to find.

I THINK the Eaton Trutrac has a 3:1 bias ratio. On all the various videos etc, they depict a max 3:1 ratio ....(or 1:3)

In my Eaton tru trac install manual, there is no mention of the bias ratio anywhere ! On Eaton's site, they just say anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5

In any event, the tru-trac works superb...and is well < $500 if you shop around. I believe Roush used it on their 2007/08 track pak car. They also used it on their 700 hp car at the 2012 sema show.

Drag racer's swear by it....as do road course folks. However,the 4:1 bias ratio of the Torsen T2R might be better suited for autocross, or any event with tight turns, 180 deg turns etc.

Jimbo

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
So for a DD/Autocross/HPDE Mustang, Boss Torsen or Trutrac?

The eaton tru-trac is less than 1/2 the price of a Boss Torsen. If folks can't destroy it with 700-900 rwhp and drag racing, I can't see having any problems using it for a DD + autocross /road course use. Apparently the 4:1 bias ratio Torsen + drag racing is a bad mix. Zero problems with my own tru-trac so far, but I only have 400 rwhp. The difference in handling on twisties vs oem ford traction lok is nothing short of amazing. Bear in mind I had the WL watts link installed at the same time as the tru-trac.

If you plan on changing the rear gear ratio to something like a 3.73 etc, that would be the time to do it...all at once. IE: tru-trac, 3.73 gears, watts link. The whiteline watts link I used..uses a new differential cover. No point in installing the WL watts link... then installing the tru-trac 6 months later.

The tru trac works superb rain or shine. I even tried it one day on a right hand sweeper on the hwy. I was in the center lane...and it had stopped raining. The drivers side tires were in the wet..but the pass sides were on the dry. Punch it with blower on..and you can feel the TQ get transferred to the inside wheels on pass side. Works superb. (The normal deal..in the dry, the TQ would get transferred to the outside wheels..as you power out of the corner).

The tru trac transfers tq to the wheel with the most traction..and does it incrementally...no more than required. The beauty is, it's transparent to the end user.

Jimbo

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
The eaton tru-trac is less than 1/2 the price of a Boss Torsen. If folks can't destroy it with 700-900 rwhp and drag racing, I can't see having any problems using it for a DD + autocross /road course use. Apparently the 4:1 bias ratio Torsen + drag racing is a bad mix. Zero problems with my own tru-trac so far, but I only have 400 rwhp. The difference in handling on twisties vs oem ford traction lok is nothing short of amazing. Bear in mind I had the WL watts link installed at the same time as the tru-trac.

If you plan on changing the rear gear ratio to something like a 3.73 etc, that would be the time to do it...all at once. IE: tru-trac, 3.73 gears, watts link. The whiteline watts link I used..uses a new differential cover. No point in installing the WL watts link... then installing the tru-trac 6 months later.

The tru trac works superb rain or shine. I even tried it one day on a right hand sweeper on the hwy. I was in the center lane...and it had stopped raining. The drivers side tires were in the wet..but the pass sides were on the dry. Punch it with blower on..and you can feel the TQ get transferred to the inside wheels on pass side. Works superb. (The normal deal..in the dry, the TQ would get transferred to the outside wheels..as you power out of the corner).

The tru trac transfers tq to the wheel with the most traction..and does it incrementally...no more than required. The beauty is, it's transparent to the end user.

Jimbo

The T2R is the 4:1, not the Boss Torsen, which is 2.7:1. I plan on installing a Whiteline WL when I replace my diff in the next few weeks which is why I am asking. I'm back on the fence now between the Boss Torsen and Eaton. Already have 3.73 gears, but I may go ahead and put a new set gears in there since everything else will be out anyways, plus I don't know how much the previous owner had beaten the gears (he had dragged it).

Still, seems like 1-0 for the Tru-trac atm.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
The T2R is the 4:1, not the Boss Torsen, which is 2.7:1. I plan on installing a Whiteline WL when I replace my diff in the next few weeks which is why I am asking. I'm back on the fence now between the Boss Torsen and Eaton. Already have 3.73 gears, but I may go ahead and put a new set gears in there since everything else will be out anyways, plus I don't know how much the previous owner had beaten the gears (he had dragged it).

Tru trac and 3.31's. Sounds like a winner

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I'm back on the fence now between the Boss Torsen and Eaton. Already have 3.73 gears, but I may go ahead and put a new set gears in there since everything else will be out anyways, plus I don't know how much the previous owner had beaten the gears (he had dragged it).

I think you'd be perfectly satisfied with either one. If they were both priced the same, I would just close my eyes and pick one. If you're buying new, the price difference would be the deciding factor for me, as I believe they're similarly comparable in strength and performance, yet the Torsen is $300 more.

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
Whats the cheapest you can find a TrueTrac for? Tough to imagine much cheaper than the $500+shipping i found on a new Boss Torsen.

EDIT: Found the TrueTrac for around $480+shipping at the cheapest. So the price is pretty much the same.

Decisions Decisions!

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Whats the cheapest you can find a TrueTrac for? Tough to imagine much cheaper than the $500+shipping i found on a new Boss Torsen.

EDIT: Found the TrueTrac for around $480+shipping at the cheapest. So the price is pretty much the same.

Decisions Decisions!

The T2 ( 2.7:1 ratio) as used in the Boss is $929.000 @ AM. http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-31spline-88-boss302-diff.html

Don't confuse the boss version with this version.. also called a "T2" by AM....
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-31spline-88-t2-diff.html $550.00 and has a 2:1 ratio This NOT the same version, nor as heavy duty as the T2 used in the Boss.

Nor this version, called a T2R (4:1 bias ratio). $723.00 http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-31spline-88-fr500-diff.html (this version won't hold up for drag racing....but great for auto cross).

The only 'real dea'l is either the Boss T2 version ( $929.00) or the eaton tru-trac ( aprx $480 to $500.00 ) .

Jimbo

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, there's a guy on another forum who gets the Boss Torsen straight from Ford and is selling them for $500.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back