tow hook

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
^^^ That looks great El Tortuga, but I'm just curious, since your fabbed up tow brackets look very similar to the Cooltec ones that I have...why not just buy the Cooltec ones? Just like metal working? :)

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ That looks great El Tortuga, but I'm just curious, since your fabbed up tow brackets look very similar to the Cooltec ones that I have...why not just buy the Cooltec ones? Just like metal working? :)

A lot cheaper, and yes, skill building exercise. I need the practice. I also full pen welded with fillets on both sides so its stupid strong. Definitely more than the bolting hardware. Can't recall exactly but the bumper bolts are good for like several times the weight of the car.

A buddy had machined several of the threaded bosses and so I got that free. A little bit of 1/4" strip some welding wire, paint, etc. I did have to pay for the bolting hardware and hook itself so I'm in for about $30-40 vs $330.

Last edited:

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Awesome work bud! Nice to save some coin, too. The Cooltecset up certainly isn't cheap.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Front

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3460.JPG

Rear

IMG_3461.JPG

IMG_3628.jpg

.75" threaded barstock approximately grade 8 material threads into brackets and .375" grade 8 bolt for shear for strap hook. less than $10.00 in materials. Time another factor. I did front and rear hooks at the same time as the oil cooler install. Took about a day and a half all welded in place - thats why the poor lookin welds. Both hooks will hold the car up in the air vertically if the bumper beams don't pull off.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Front

View attachment 57183

View attachment 57184

Rear

View attachment 57185

View attachment 57186

.75" threaded barstock approximately grade 8 material threads into brackets and .375" grade 8 bolt for shear for strap hook. less than $10.00 in materials. Time another factor. I did front and rear hooks at the same time as the oil cooler install. Took about a day and a half all welded in place - thats why the poor lookin welds. Both hooks will hold the car up in the air vertically if the bumper beams don't pull off.

Attaboy. Looks good to me.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back