Tr3650 fluids with Aluminum flywheels

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
So due to the lighter aluminum flywheel I have noise during idle which is liveable but what I can't live with is during low gears the gear lash or whatever noise it makes often described as "marbles grinding" or "coffee grinder" is just a plain awful.

I currently have the original mercon atf that ford put during assembly. And based on this article, a thicker blend of atf can help?

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
I have the same rattle. I have spec II with alum flywheel on stock 3650... drives me crazy.... New throw out bearing too...

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I have the McLeod aluminum fw, rxt clutch kit. It has a new pilot bearing and throw out as well.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
A twin disc will have floater plate rattle. On a McLeod it's usually right around 1700 rpms and most pronounced in 4th gear.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
I just have it at idle; push clutch in and it goes away. Would a heavier weight oil help?I have to look into Penzoil synchromesh

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the synchromesh...I switched to that when I still had my 3650 in the car per tremec's recommendation after emailing back and forth with them. Trans will be a little more notchy until it warms up with it so just take it easy on it while it's cold.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Snake oil.

What, Syncromesh? My Ford certified mechanic has been using Syncromesh in Ford manual transmissions for 20 years. Tremec recommended Syncromesh in their transmissions until very recently, when they switched to recommending Mobil1 synthetic ATF. I've run both Syncromesh and Mobil1 synthetic ATF in my transmissions (plural, more than one) and Syncromesh has a much better feel to it.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just the pretense of removing noise from the flywheel and clutch floater plate.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back