Trading the Kenne Bell for the Whipple 3.4

A John In NJ

Rice Cooker
Reaction score
What modifications can be done to the 2.4 KB Head unit? Meaning porting? or anything of that nature to bring up the hp?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Don you daily drive your car right? Adam told me that the 2.8 is not a good daily driver due to heat. I also heard that from the guys at Kenne Bell. What are you running on the car now Don?
Yes, it's a DD. I have 24,000 miles on the car since the motor build 18 months ago (and almost 41K miles total). And I've had my 2.4L KB since January 2006. As I recall, other than the very first one on Adam's black car, mine was one of the first in the country. Definitely the first on an auto trans.

And yea, I know about the 2.8... I was just giving Mark some shit.

don_w

Reaction score
What modifications can be done to the 2.4 KB Head unit? Meaning porting? or anything of that nature to bring up the hp?
I don't remember the exact numbers, but Adam put a little tiny pulley on a 2.4 way back when and was in the 650-700ish range I believe.

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 2.6H on my car not the 2.6L. Say what you will but I am happy with my Kenne Bell and I daily drive the car. Man is it fun having a car to drive instead of talking about it on the forum:321:. I miss you John Boy...:leghump:

I will soon have my car. Lets not get into a pissing match, because I don't want to see you squat:321::leghump:

A John In NJ

Rice Cooker
Reaction score
Hey Don, Hows the Stock tranny hold up? Im about to buy off Ron's (94tbird) 2.4 off of him.. Just wanted an idea how much beating the stock auto tranny can take... My car is a DD as well

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey Don, Hows the Stock tranny hold up? Im about to buy off Ron's (94tbird) 2.4 off of him.. Just wanted an idea how much beating the stock auto tranny can take... My car is a DD as well

???? what is going in ron's car?

don_w

Reaction score
Well, the Art Carr parts I had in there were POS, so I'm surprised it never completely grenaded. Last summer, Tony at Larry's Transmission fixed the Art Carr problems, and a PI converter was installed. In total, the trans has 41K miles and over 930 runs at the track (630 of them with the KB), and it's still working (knock on wood).

But then again, there are guys who have had lots of problems (Mister Roper and msgt46270 come to mind), and they're pushing less rwhp than me. Hell, Roper is NA and his trans took a dump.

A John In NJ

Rice Cooker
Reaction score
Well, the Art Carr parts I had in there were POS, so I'm surprised it never completely grenaded. Last summer, Tony at Larry's Transmission fixed the Art Carr problems, and a PI converter was installed. In total, the trans has 41K miles and over 930 runs at the track (630 of them with the KB), and it's still working (knock on wood).

But then again, there are guys who have had lots of problems (Mister Roper and msgt46270 come to mind), and they're pushing less rwhp than me. Hell, Roper is NA and his trans took a dump.

Im scared....:shock:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
im going with a 2.6H. After speaking to Mike at KB today, we decided that this is the best option to take for the time being to deliver street reliability and track performance. These are not his words but from what i gather the 2.8H blower is designed for larger displacement motors, on a small 281 here there will be some lag and driveability issues on the street whereas the larger stroker motors, and obviously the 5.4 will have the displacement to make up for the lag.

He also said the difference will only be about 10-15hp at most

Eventually down the road when KB gets larger displacement blowers i will go larger once again but the 2.6H should feed all of my goals

Not to mention it bolts to my existing lower manifold haha

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
with the exception of a dud tranny frokm the factory, which you ould have more than likely seen problems with already, you dont have anything to worry about
Besides Mr. Roper has always had trouble with trannies... His "they all look the same from behind" policy keeps getting him in trouble when the plumbing goes wrong and the valve body gets gummed up... :samuri:

Seriously though - frequent fluid checks and temp gauges on auto trannies are always a good idea when racing... You cook the fluid and bad things happen...

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the upgrade Ron!! :clap:

BACNBLAK

Old and Wise(guy)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
im going with a 2.6H. After speaking to Mike at KB today, we decided that this is the best option to take for the time being to deliver street reliability and track performance. These are not his words but from what i gather the 2.8H blower is designed for larger displacement motors, on a small 281 here there will be some lag and driveability issues on the street whereas the larger stroker motors, and obviously the 5.4 will have the displacement to make up for the lag.

Eventually down the road when KB gets larger displacement blowers i will go larger once again but the 2.6H should feed all of my goals

Glad you finally came to your senses, it's only money. :2cents:

Last edited:

MSgt46270

Reaction score
I had lots of problems with my trans and TC's. But since the last trans over haul from Larry's Transmissions and a three stage PI installed by Adam (ST Motorsports). The only problem I had was the trans throwing a code and after calling Tony with Larry's Transmissions, he told me what to do and cleared the code. Also a lot of other people had the same codes come up, so it WASN'T anything that Larry's Transmissions did. I also have an appointment with Larry's Transmissions for a check up on the trans. Tony does some mods to the trans and one mod keeps the trans from getting damaged even more if the trans fail. So the cost of repair would be a little lower. Tony is the man for the trans rebuilds/repairs and Adam (ST Motorsports) for your power mods/tunes.

LarrysCard001.jpg

STCard004CustomSmall.jpg

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I seen on there page on another forum that with the 2.6H they made 704 and with a 2.8H they made 804 and both were on a 281 cubic inch motor

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are you still picking up your car on Wednesday?

Adam is still MIA in Florida.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back