Trailer Hitch on an 05-09 GT/CS and Shelby

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
I needed a way to haul my junk to the track sooo... Made my own, kind of...

Searched and searched, and no one make a hitch for these cars with rear bumper covers that wrap around and forward, more than a GT bumper cover does... I did not want to cut the bumper cover in any way, so...

Basically we need to move the receiver forward, down and back. Took a few hours, but it turned out damn near perfect!! Check it out!!

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
I feel like you will want to box that or at least put support pieces on that 90 degree bend. That's a lot of weight for 1/4 steel with no support.

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
Oh, I dont pull all that any more.
Just 4 wheels and tool box,
But there is no room to box anything. It's sandwiched up there between something, and something else...
But its welded all the way around, aint goin nowhere.

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, I dont pull all that any more.
Just 4 wheels and tool box,
But there is no room to box anything. It's sandwiched up there between something, and something else...
But its welded all the way around, aint goin nowhere.

Oh gotcha, I wasn't worried about the welds, mainly where you bent the steel into a 90 unbending lol.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Very glad you posted this...I was almost to the point of cutting my rear valence.

Did you update your sig today with that quote from Ingrid Steffensen's article in Speed Secrets?

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
I was not 100% sure we could find a way to make it work, so i bought the cheapest one i could find, also since most places would not take a return

i bought this one on ebay
valley industries, mustang hitch receiver, #58441

Reloader

Reaction score
Old thread, new information (sort of). 2005 GT 4.6.

Here is the hitch: https://www.walmart.com/ip/05-09-Mu...eplacement-Auto-Part-Easy-to-Install/35536687

The only modification needed is to remove the passenger side rear most muffler hanger and cut off the vertical portion of the hanger that bolts to the frame rail. The hanger will then slide through the opening in the trailer hitch and re-install in the original mounting hole.

I used 6" bolts and washers rather than the carriage bolts provided with the hitch.

ef39f98a-b65a-44a6-946f-6370952b0651_1.73a961a9a90c0bb042a58b9c1e7b9b02.jpeg

Hitch clears bumper cover without any modifications.

Reloader

Reaction score
Now that the wiring install is complete, here is what worked for me.

As most know, early s197s use a low voltage system for the brake/turn/parking lights.
I bought the Tekonsha ModuLite® HD Plus Protector w/Integrated Circuit & Overload Protection Trailer Light Power Module Part #119190kit. There are many other versions of this, plus knock offs, but they did not have the same specs. I know this unit works.

Wiring to a flat 4 pole for the trailer looks like this:

IMG_20230615_073143947~2.jpg

The module is secured on the lower fuel pump driver module stud. There is a ground bolt right above.
Trailer is wired on standard two wire system. Brown to parking lights. Yellow to left turn/brake. Green to right turn/brake. White is the ground.

The Tekonsha must have 12v. There is no 12v source in the trunk of my car (not the trunk light either). I tapped the 12v wire (Red/White) from the power seat connector since my stock seats are gone. Ignition must be on or car running for lights to work. The other option is to run the power wire straight to the battery, but that would have meant fishing through the entire interior and out of the firewall.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back