Trans not going in to any gear but 1st

jared davison

Reaction score
Question any ideas 05 mustang gt 4.6 auto
Won’t go in to any gear but 1st no light revers slips rest of gears no response would where should I start ?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
It's too bad Ford didn't equip the 5R55S with a dipstick 'cause my first instinct, from the symptoms you've described, is that the fluid level is low. There could be a leak and the most common source is the pan gasket.

I suggest you drain the pan, remove it, and change the filter as well as the pan gasket and fluid. Those simple measures might solve your problem. While you have the car on a lift, check if there are any other fluid leaks esp. output shaft housing gasket.

If none of that fixes it, there's a deeper underlying problem that's keeping the line pressure low e.g. valve body interface leak, oil pump (less likely).

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yeah who was the Engineer that thought a transmission dipstick was not essential?

GriffX

Reaction score
a trans without a stick......

Must have been someone from the marketing department ;)

Derf08

Reaction score
When did the problem start? gradually or all at once? What work was done before it started?

When a trans solenoid fails it will cause the yellow O/D light to flash on the dash.

Have you refilled the transmission to see if everything works ok again?

Check the linkage from the shifter to the transmission.

Only other thought is the input shaft is damaged or the trans pump is leaking internally.

jared davison

Reaction score
I put new solenoid in and new filter and flushed first gear works great but everything else is gone it started doing it slowly acting up not bad just not going to 4th then got it home fine then went to leave again and nothing except 1st gear

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
Is it commanding gears? I had a similar issue in a 4l60e (Chevy) trans. It would go into first and second but not third or fourth. Third and fourth acted as neutrals. It was a burnt up clutch pack. Just another idea.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back