Transmission problem or something else??

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trick flow is just that. It has a dipstick and isn't much thicker at all. My headers hang lower.

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, mine is Trick Flow and holds 2 extra quarts and is finned aluminum with a dipstick.
I would show you the spot at Summit if I knew how to post a web site... I'm old.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
No, mine is Trick Flow and holds 2 extra quarts and is finned aluminum with a dipstick.
I would show you the spot at Summit if I knew how to post a web site... I'm old.

Age is just a state of mind W1ldcat :)

Is this it?
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tfs-1012

Looking at your signature we both have a simular setup. B326 stage 3 with kooks and other goodies ;)

Tnx Pentalab for the confirmation on that angle. Was really worrying about that so it's a relief that's normal.

Not so many shops around here that are willing to work on mustangs so almost no expertise also.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, make damn sure you replace the gasket with a brand new one !

07 Boss

Reaction score
Also think about the filter. You should get a longer one to insure it draws from the bottom of the pan. Deeper pans with no baffles are going to slosh the fluid around and a short filter might not be able to pick up the fluid with it moving around. I'm not sure on the fill procedure either with a deep pan.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
I want to go for the PA pan with the stock dimensions but that has a dipstick.
So don't think I need a new filter then.

And I ordered a new gasket as well to be sure.

Last edited:

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The fill procedure is you use the dipstick....
If you have a Brenspeed stage 3 engine and all like I have, you have one badass car.......

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
If you have a Brenspeed stage 3 engine and all like I have, you have one badass car.......

Its nice to drive it :)

B326 with stage 3 heads fully dressed, E-force S/C with 3.00 pully, Afco dual fans intercooler with gt500 fuel pump. Meziere waterpump.
Kooks long tube headers with 3" collector and high flow green cats.
TCI SSF with a Circle D pro 3 torque converter. Dynotech alu driveshaft, Torssen dif, 4.10 gears, watts link, moser axles, BMR control arms, adjustable Koni shocks with steeda springs. With some more smaller upgrades of course but I can't mentino them all.
And some Toyo R888 20" 315 rubber on the rear to keep it on the ground :)

And my self made headlights

https://youtu.be/5assUOjKEBo

W1ldcat

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The new pan will help only a little. It's been 90 and humid here and if I go 20 or so miles I'm at 190. My transmission guy says that's ok and I should change my guage to watch something else and just drive it.
Thanks for the pics, that is bad ass....

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
The new pan will help only a little. It's been 90 and humid here and if I go 20 or so miles I'm at 190. My transmission guy says that's ok and I should change my guage to watch something else and just drive it.
Thanks for the pics, that is bad ass....

The new pan is not for keeping the oil cooler but to have an easy way of checking the level with the dipstick.
My trans fluid hasn't been over 186 so far, and that extra cooler hasn't been installed yet. The install was planned for next week but i'm going to postpone it a bit until the new pan arrives.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
hmmm, did 4 WOT runs yesterday quickly after each other to log the current tune and saw the trans temp rise till 227 after the last one ...

My brakes also started to fade after the last run :(

07 Boss

Reaction score
If you watch your transmission temps it can be scary. They tend to fluctuate a lot in any kind of traffic. The big swings used to scare me but it is pretty normal.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
hmmm, did 4 WOT runs yesterday quickly after each other to log the current tune and saw the trans temp rise till 227 after the last one ...

My brakes also started to fade after the last run :(

227 deg F is way too hot. >200F, and you will cook the ATF.
Once you have the 2nd auto tranny cooler installed, it won't move much above 170 F. Install the JDM catch can as well. Then you won't be puking ATF all over the ground, losing more ATF.

It appears that PA doesn't make the deeper pan for the 05-10 cars anymore. But at least they still make the oem size pan...with the dipstick.

Last edited:

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
the catchcan is already installed. That was pretty easy. The cooler is a bit more difficult so that will be done by a shop but now I'll wait till the pan comes in.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Cooler installed, pan with dipstick installed, all that's now left is to find the correct way to check the fluid level.

So many opinions on how to do it correct.

Everybody says with hot fluid but some say about 100°F others 170°?
Engine running in N or in P?
Even read it should be in D with the wheels spinning. Car on stands off course :)

It sometimes still acts strange :(

Stopping for a trafficlight while in D and the car wont move. Give some extra gas and than it suddenly kicks in. Same when I go to R, it sometimes takes a sec of 5 before it moves.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Yet another question that pops to mind.
The manual states to position the vehicle on a hoist and set is as close to level as possible.
Do they mean the car as close to level as possible or the oil pan that is normally under an angle when the car is leveled on the ground???

07 Boss

Reaction score
Cooler installed, pan with dipstick installed, all that's now left is to find the correct way to check the fluid level.

So many opinions on how to do it correct.

Everybody says with hot fluid but some say about 100°F others 170°?
Engine running in N or in P?
Even read it should be in D with the wheels spinning. Car on stands off course :)

It sometimes still acts strange :(

Stopping for a trafficlight while in D and the car wont move. Give some extra gas and than it suddenly kicks in. Same when I go to R, it sometimes takes a sec of 5 before it moves.

Yet another question that pops to mind.
The manual states to position the vehicle on a hoist and set is as close to level as possible.
Do they mean the car as close to level as possible or the oil pan that is normally under an angle when the car is leveled on the ground???

I did it with the engine running and in D with the wheels turning. I believe that is the way it is "supposed" to be done.

With the car level.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Tnx 07 Boss.

Yesterday I was at a meeting and there a mecanic told me that "D "was out of the question because that would cause to much movement in the fluid to measure it correct.

So many different opinions :(

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back