Transmission ?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Essentially: used to emphasize the basic, fundamental, or intrinsic nature of a person, thing, or situation.

Draw your own conclusions, I don't care.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I conclude you used the first definition google turned up

essentially (ɪˈsɛnʃəlɪ)
adv
1. in a fundamental or basic way; in essence

My conclusion is I am now reminded why I do not usuallyrespond to your posts.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I just haven't heard of any issues (nor have I experienced any) with the GT500 6060 transmission except for the first model that had a slightly oversized input shaft and would hang on the 1-2 shift. That problem was cleared up right away though.

Since I hadn't heard of anything I was hoping for some information from woody.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
no those transmissions are very different. 6 gears is about the only similarity.

The 6060 is a T-56 variant according to Tremec. I was under the impression that the Magnum was a 6060 with a different tailshaft and a non integrated bellhousing. The tailshaft allows for direct shifting and the bellhousing allows for sfi compliance.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I conclude you used the first definition google turned up

My conclusion is I am now reminded why I do not respond to your posts.

And yet here you are. And in other threads.

Does that make you a liar? Because you've been responding pretty regularly lol.

no those transmissions are very different. 6 gears is about the only similarity.

That certainly wasn't my understanding.

Anyone have any good sources on this? I'd be interested to know what the differences in the two are.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
I just haven't heard of any issues (nor have I experienced any) with the GT500 6060 transmission except for the first model that had a slightly oversized input shaft and would hang on the 1-2 shift. That problem was cleared up right away though.

Since I hadn't heard of anything I was hoping for some information from woody.
i had that issue in a 2012 model racing a built ws6. not up to date on the ford issues vs fixes but I've driven both, the 6060 doesnt like the powershifting, the magnum is awesome on the track especially with the direct short shifting. not dogging the 6060 but if the op is looking for 6 spd i would rate the magnum xl ahead of the 6060 by far for function, feel, and performance hands down but it does come at a steep cost so if money is a factor then 6060 is the way to go.
on a side note, a twin disc spec does help out alot on either front

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
The 6060 is a T-56 variant according to Tremec. I was under the impression that the Magnum was a 6060 with a different tailshaft and a non integrated bellhousing. The tailshaft allows for direct shifting and the bellhousing allows for sfi compliance.
the case is different also

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
i had that issue in a 2012 model racing a built ws6. not up to date on the ford issues vs fixes but I've driven both, the 6060 doesnt like the powershifting, the magnum is awesome on the track especially with the direct short shifting. not dogging the 6060 but if the op is looking for 6 spd i would rate the magnum xl ahead of the 6060 by far for function, feel, and performance hands down but it does come at a steep cost so if money is a factor then 6060 is the way to go.
on a side note, a twin disc spec does help out alot on either front

There is a difference in the 6060 that GM uses along with the one that Chrysler uses. I'm not sure what the differences are but the GT500 6060 hasn't had the same issues afaik. Just a wild guess would be that GM went for the cheapest internal components they could while Ford speced for quality. It's just a guess though. I know that the GM version isn't rated for as much torque as the GT500 transmission.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
wish i could give you the engineering details but i can just give you drivers opinion which we all know is like assholes, but i can say this also the magnum is a fucking boulder, even without the scattersheild bolted up it is ALOT heavier than the 6060 also and you will be hard pressed to muscle one in by yourself. ill have to compare as dallas' is on the lift getting a fuel system upgrade. I'll let you know what i find. i could be wrong but they dont feel near the same driving

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wish i could give you the engineering details but i can just give you drivers opinion which we all know is like assholes, but i can say this also the magnum is a fucking boulder, even without the scattersheild bolted up it is ALOT heavier than the 6060 also and you will be hard pressed to muscle one in by yourself

Bruce is buff from moving all his engine blocks around! :)

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I'm a pretty big guy, but it took me and a friend my size to get the 6060 in my car.

I could pick it up by myself, but that's about it.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
i said i could be wrong but i've got the oppertunity to get to both on the lift at the moment so ill go check it out and snap some pics and get back.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
wish i could give you the engineering details but i can just give you drivers opinion which we all know is like assholes, but i can say this also the magnum is a fucking boulder, even without the scattersheild bolted up it is ALOT heavier than the 6060 also and you will be hard pressed to muscle one in by yourself

This is Tremecs description of the differences:

Magnum XL 6-Speed Transmission

Introduced to the marketplace in 2012, the Magnum XL is a continuation of the popular Magnum 6-speed series. Featuring all the most important content from the original Magnum, the XL retains its brute strength and sophistication, but eliminates its multiple shifter locations and dual speedo outputs.
Refinements include a new extended length tail section designed to eliminate the semi-remote shifter found in many popular late-model applications.
Initially available for the 2005 and up "S197" Mustang, the Magnum XL was designed specifically to replace the OEM 5 or 6 speed transmission where performance improvements are desired. Simplifying the swap, the Magnum XL includes a SFI-approved steel bellhousing, crossmember, trans mount isolated shifter and shift ball and even reuses the OEM hydraulic clutch relase system.

Here is their description of the base Magnum transmission the XL is derived from:

Magnum 6-Speed Transmission

The kingpin of TREMEC's high performance line-up, the T-56 Magnum double-overdrive 6-speed transmission takes the very best from TREMEC's current OEM technologies and pairs it with the most popular features of the TKO 5-speed.
Able to withstand a massive 700 lb-ft. of torque while providing unbelievably crisp shifts, no other manual transmission on the planet offers as much combined strength, versatility, and general ease-of-use as the T-56 Magnum.
Known in its original equipment form as the 'TR-6060', the Magnum is an aftermarket version of the same transmission found in many of today's most celebrated factory super cars – including the ZR1 Corvette and ACR Viper – giving you refinement where you want it and strength where it counts.

I spotted this on the Tremec website. Maybe one day we will get paddle shifted dual clutch options.

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TREMEC_TR-9007.DCT.pdf

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I used a heavy duty transmission jack to put mine in. I was able to lift it off of the pallet and get it on the jack but it's not lightweight by any means. I think I'm fairly average sized at 6'1" and 217lbs. Not buff by any means, lol.

Tremec lists the 6060 at 135lbs.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back