TrueTrak Noise in decel

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
So the shop installed the trutrak,Strange Axle, 9" Housing ends and FRPP 4.10. The car feels and runs great, no gear whine no noise what so ever. But when i get on the gas pedal for a little bit and let the car coast down with no gear in just neutral, about 50-40 mph i hear a click click click noise. i took it back to the shop and we kind of think is the right rear Rotor, it has a little bit of play and the sound is just the same i hear when riding the car.

the installer thinks the wheel is not pressing the rotor good enough and it makes that noise. i am not that sure about it but i also read about trutrak making ratcheting noises on decel.

NOTE: Noise is only in neutral going down from 50 mph at a steady Rhythm with the wheels like if something was hitting something there and is not loud also...

Tak, Tak, Tak, Tak Tak...

Sorry for the funny description but i dont know how to do it better.LOL

If anybody can tell me if that is normal or what to look for in it i will appreciate it.

I forgot to mention that that noise was the same the rear end did the last time i took it to the track.

I got 2 passes and the last one by the end of the 1/4 mile i let of the gas in gear and it did the same clicking noise, that was in gear then it went away.

The shop did not find anything obvious on the old parts.

Last edited by a moderator:

frarmar

Killer boots man!
Reaction score
Not sure if we have the same noise exactly, but mine makes that kind of noise on decel sometimes. It seems like it only does it for the last 40 feet or so before I actually come to a stop. Can't hear it at all when coasting at speed.

It's not real loud and I have to really listen for it. I bet it wouldn't even be audible if I didn't have a rear seat delete.

I just had mine installed 500 miles ago and am going to have them change the fluid and give it a look.

Last edited:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I had a Detriot TruTrak installed in our 1977 Trans Am and it doesn't make any noise at all. I'd say since you had the same noise before the new diff install it has to be something else.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if we have the same noise exactly, but mine makes that kind of noise on decel sometimes. It seems like it only does it for the last 40 feet or so before I actually come to a stop. Can't hear it at all when coasting at speed.

It's not real loud and I have to really listen for it. I bet it wouldn't even be audible if I didn't have a rear seat delete.

I just had mine installed 500 miles ago and am going to have them change the fluid and give it a look.

exactly what i have but it doesn't stop until i come to a full stop but is very low noise it just pick speed if i was going faster then let of the gas and coast in neutral. Nothing in normal cruise or acceleration.

I had a Detriot TruTrak installed in our 1977 Trans Am and it doesn't make any noise at all. I'd say since you had the same noise before the new diff install it has to be something else.

I am going out of Kansas for training and i will be back later in September then i will swap wheels and see if that help with the theory about the wheel not pressing the rotor good enough and giving it a little play on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I am going out of Kansas for training and i will be back later in September then i will swap wheels and see if that help with the theory about the wheel not pressing the rotor good enough and giving it a little play on it.

Good luck buddy! I have enjoyed watching your build progress. You are building a badass ride for sure and doing it the right way. Oh and thanks for your service to our country.

frarmar

Killer boots man!
Reaction score
Found this post in another thread. Sounds like it's a normal thing.

Also, I just drove my car about 800 miles round trip to Brenspeed and it never missed a beat...

I've been running mine for 25K miles with no real issues. I do get a quiet wood sounding knock when im rolling to a stop. I called Eaton and they told me thats normal due to the design of the diff. Other than that I love it. It hooks well, no more groan on tight turns, and should be good to around 600-700 RWTQ.

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Found this post in another thread. Sounds like it's a normal thing.

Also, I just drove my car about 800 miles round trip to Brenspeed and it never missed a beat...

nice,, i hope is normal. They shop seams to do a good job but i will hate to have it redone if something is not good.

I guess i will call Eaton also to verify. Thanks for the info

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back