trutrack

Mickey

forum member
Reaction score
What is the difference between a TruTrack, a Detroit TruTrack, and a Detroit locker? Feel free to use the word 'stupid' in your reply.

Genius

Reaction score
TruTrack, a Detroit TruTrack.....samething.
A trutrack is a gear driven Limited Slip.
They lock up nice with very good street manners.
No clutch paks to wear out, no need for synthetic oil or friction modifier.
I had them in one of my Jeeps (frt & rear) and now my Bullitt.
Detroit locker is a locker! Stronger than a Trutrac with good manners
but not as well mannered as a Trutrac.
You will get some popping and ratcheting with the locker around corners.
The locker will also cause a bit of rear stress and tire wear.
And yes I've also ran D-lockers in my Jeep.
For most a locker is better suited for the dragstrip or off-roading.

kbchevlvr

forum member
Reaction score
i believe the main difference between the truetrac and the "locker" is the the true track has helical gears vs the "locker" having straight cut. becasue of this the true trac is smoother however the straight cut gears are superior in strength. that is not to say the truetrac is weak...i believe 600 h.p. is the max recomended???

RRRoamer

Reaction score
The trutracs and lockers are TOTALLY different beasts in how they operate.

The trutrac has the left and right axles connected via a series of helical gears. The gears are arranged in such a way that a wheel can be turned FASTER than the diff (such as going around a corner where the outside wheel has to speed up), but it is harder for one of the axles to go SLOWER than the diff is turning. The net result is you can apply lot's of torque to the slow wheel without spinning the fast wheel into oblivion like an open diff would.

A locker is a locker. Basically, each axle is connected to the diff through a spring loaded dog clutch type of arrangement. The teeth are shaped so that the diff can drive head axle without locker coming out of engagement. Both wheels will turn at the same speed. When you go around a turn, the outside wheel tries to go faster and it is able to pull that axle out of engagement with the lock ring and spin faster than the diff is turning. Of course, as it aligns with the drive dogs, the driven dog drops back into place due to the spring preload on it. That leads to the "click-click-click" you hear when going around a turn in a vehicle with a locker installed in it.

Going straight (drag racing for example), a locker does a very good job of putting the power to the ground. It doesn't put the power down smoothly going around turns (only one wheel or the other is driven at any given time), so it isn't as well behaved as a clutch or gear type diff in the twisties.

The trutrac is much smoother and consistent going around corners, but it is not as consistent or strong as a locker in a straight line.

Mickey

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. In the old days we had posi-traction is this the same as either the trutrack or locker?

ROUSH STAGE 4

ANIL8R
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. In the old days we had posi-traction is this the same as either the trutrack or locker?

The name "posi" originally was used by GM as the brand name for its original equipment limited-slip differential. The full name was "Posi-Trac." After a time, "posi" became a popular name for limited-slip differentials of any origin. This same device, first available in Chrysler products was called "Sure Grip." The Ford edition was called "Traction-Lok." "Twin-Grip" was AMC's version.

RRRoamer

Reaction score

No. Different breed of limited slip diff. Posi's basically have a spring loaded clutch pack sitting between the two ends of the axles, tying each axle together via the clutch. When there is enough differential force on the axles, the clutch starts slipping, letting the wheels spin at different speeds. And remember, sticking friction is always higher than slipping friction, so once they start slipping, the differential force has to come way down before they "lock up" again.

They work ok (they are stock on our Mustang GTs, not sure about the V6 cars), but you have issues with the springs getting weak (less posi effect), clutches wearing out (less to NO posi effect) and you have to play games with the diff additives to get the right friction in the oil so the diff behaves itself and doesn't either slip too much, or ratchet because it can't slip smoothly when it does start to slip.

Redwolf

Reaction score
Installing a Trutrac is by far better than the stock pieces we have? Quality and reliability?

dagamore

Poor Driver mod
Reaction score
I have been looking at upgrading my dif to a trutac, but was wondering if a Torsen style might be better, or a C-locker style, or powertrax no-slip? any ideas?

07 Boss

Reaction score
They also have an E-Locker which can be locked up electronically when you want it, and disengaged when you don't need it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back