Tub the 05

woodcock

Reaction score
can someone tell me how I can post my own question? I'm looking to tub my 05 mustang and need help

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ask your questions............

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
seems like you figured it out.

You can run at least a 315 wide tire on an s197, how much wider do you want/need to go?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying, how much bigger does he need to go?

I haven't looked at this car in regards to tubbing it, but it's not as easy task. I just got done mini-tubbing my '66 coupe and gained a lot of room, I don't know how much room there is to gain on this platform that way.

I know you can remove the bump stop bracket from the car and run an 11" wide wheel, which would handle that 315. Way easier than tubbing, and the rest of the car stays stock.

I moved up to a 305/35/20 this time and it's super super close, but no rubbing. No idea what the backspacing/offset is on my wheels, they don't make them in that size anymore so I'd have to measure.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess the question is why? I have seen Mustangs go low-9's on 10" tires, so what is he trying to accomplish? Is it an old school Pro Street look with a narrowed rearend and 6-71 sticking out of the hood?

Either way, he doesn't seem to have the KSA's to pull this modification off... so off to a chassis engineering shop for a quote. FYI I don't know how to do this either, so I too would farm it out to a local reputable shop.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
6523-21_4.ashx

44bcdeec3aa2fd8aedfe455d76e39a75.jpg

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Just looked up in the wheel well of my 12. You can gain about an inch by removing the bump stop bracket, but then the limiting factor would be the shock, you would have to relocate the shock to somewhere else.

Then there's the frame. Don't think you can mini tub these like previous year cars.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I have the same Milwaukee Sawzall. Superb. Front (black portion in the pix) end can be clocked 360 degs, in 8 x settings. Then you don't have to turn it sideways, to cut sideways...or upside down, or any other position. I think it has either a 10 or 12 amp motor.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
'Dimora' who hasn't been on S197, did a writeup on S197, called...'operation steamroller'. He had 10" wide rims widened to 11.5" and then installed 335 mm tires on it. Bumpstop bracket modified, and that oem bracket with the hole in (used at the factory, to lower the car body down onto the chassis) is cut off. Correct offset must be used, and either an adjustable PHB or whiteline watts link (or any other brand of watts link) must be used to center the tires .

Instead of tubbing, Terry Fair at Vorshlag racing went the other way, and modified the wheel well flarings..so they protrude out further. I believe Shelby offers a kit to do the same thing.

I use MPSS 305-35-19 tires on 19x10 rims...with a 48mm offset. Tucked in nicely, and bucketloads of clearance, with no other mods, except for the shorter Roush bump stops + Roush rear springs + shocks. (1.25" rear drop). This is on my 2010 GT...which shares the same body style as the 11+12 cars.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back