Tuning, a Coyote, by Owner

Silver11gt

Reaction score
Been looking at all tuners. I have a sct and Im thinking about getting the software and programming my car my self any one have pros and cons on this or does everyone let someone tune their rides

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
Pros? You might learn something.
Cons? You'll probably replace a motor or two.

This is not a good car to learn on, far too complex.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
What is your background with said topic?

Silver11gt

Reaction score
What is your background with said topic?

Wbt learning on this but I have tuned on cars with fast stand alone and big stuff3 stand alone and this was on twin turboed race cars

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Where are you, you could take a few calibrated success courses. I once bought a book on tuning using the SCT system - then bought a tune from a guy who published the book. He then could not eliminate a low rpm stumble my car had, and said he did his best and I could try to tune it.

Kind of discouraging.

Silver11gt

Reaction score
I'm located in Arkansas not my shops close lol. I also work on cars for a living so I'm familiar with all the computer stuff

Silver11gt

Reaction score
I see this book is from HP tuners mine will be sct will the tuning be the same

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I think it would be cool to tune for yourself, but "time" is my reason for not learning and surely having to rely on someone for tuning when the time comes. I just figure after the headache, time, and money of modding these cars. Just sit back, give one of the reputable tuners your business, and let them do what they do well, and also do all the time instead of me being tired and spent with all the wrench turning and then having to worry about making it all "jive" together electronically.

To me, mechanical labor is far too expensive to outsource the work. I'm sure a 250 dollar gear swap could easily double or triple in cost to have someone else do it, or a 7K supercharger kit, costing 9, because you didn't do it yourself, but 400-700 dollars to an expert tuner to make all of your bolt-ons work well together sounds like money well spent.

On the other hand, I've never been above using a handheld tuner to subtract a few degrees of timing to anticipate nitrous use, or add some fuel to enable me to turn the wick up on a blower, but that's literally nothing imo.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I see this book is from HP tuners mine will be sct will the tuning be the same

The concepts are the same but access ing the software and making changes will be different. I would personally steer clear of SCT and strictly go with HPT. Much better community support and a much higher quality product.

Silver11gt

Reaction score
I think it would be cool to tune for yourself, but "time" is my reason for not learning and surely having to rely on someone for tuning when the time comes. I just figure after the headache, time, and money of modding these cars. Just sit back, give one of the reputable tuners your business, and let them do what they do well, and also do all the time instead of me being tired and spent with all the wrench turning and then having to worry about making it all "jive" together electronically.

To me, mechanical labor is far too expensive to outsource the work. I'm sure a 250 dollar gear swap could easily double or triple in cost to have someone else do it, or a 7K supercharger kit, costing 9, because you didn't do it yourself, but 400-700 dollars to an expert tuner to make all of your bolt-ons work well together sounds like money well spent.

On the other hand, I've never been above using a handheld tuner to subtract a few degrees of timing to anticipate nitrous use, or add some fuel to enable me to turn the wick up on a blower, but that's literally nothing imo.

I'm not talking about the options on the sct I'm talking about the sct tuning software.

And wbt I have the hand held sct all I need is the tune software for 350 what is the cost to switch to go tuner stuff

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the options on the sct I'm talking about the sct tuning software.

And wbt I have the hand held sct all I need is the tune software for 350 what is the cost to switch to go tuner stuff

HPT VCM Suite retails for $650 for the pro and $499 for the standard. The difference is the pro has support for external sensors which can be handy when logging. I have the pro and have not personally used the external sensor support however will at some point.

You can recoop some of the difference in cost by selling your handheld and picking up the standard VCM suite. Should be pretty close to break even.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back