Turbo Saleen final steps

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
I'm done installing the kit, Granatelli Motorsports kit on a 2006 Saleen S281. Everything fit fine, got my tune from Lito, got it on my xcal2, uploaded it to the car. Yesterday, I started the car, it didnt stay running at first so I gave it a little gas, kept it at 1k rpm for about a minute till it settled out, then it idled just fine on its own. I then shut it off, started it and ran fine. I couldn't get the first datalog session to work yesterday, so my buddy was going to come over and try to help me today.
This brings me to today, I tried to start the car again and same problem, wouldn't start, this time though, my car never started. I started smelling gas pretty good, checked under the car and sure enough, there was a small puddle of gas, it was dripping out of one of the joints on the hot side. So I'm guessing its flooded now, the car seems to want to start but then dies. I haven't changed my plugs yet, still running stockers, I didnt want to foul out my brisk plugs.
So as of now I have two issues, the car not starting because its loaded with fuel, and live link will give me "device initialization failed" when I hit the green button to datalog.
I am using a windows 7 64 bit laptop, Lito sent me link to live load. I am using an xcal2. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, sux balls. My need to disconnect xcal frommlaptop, and car, then try again. I've had to restart the laptop before. Floor the car when you start it. It'll
Start if there is still gas in the cylinders. If it doesn't, left the pedal for a second so the injectors turn back on to fuel on. When it sputters you should be able to floor it to keep it from flooding again. When it starts release and pedal ot to see if it starts. Or you could just email lito for a leaner tune.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, I'll try that. I just checked my motor oil and it definitely smells like gas, pulled the dip stick and it feels really thin and smells like gas too, there goes 5 quarts of Mobil one n filter. I'm guessing the motor oil is just bad now right? Should i take the plugs off and let some of the vapors out? Thanks, I'm tired of messing with this, I'm just ready to drive my car.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Jesus, surprised you understood that lol. New oil and filter is all you need. Most of the gas ended up in ur oil or exhuast. If you left it over night the plugs should be dry.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, it was late. I was told that i don't have to change the oil just yet, that since the first data log will be at idle. Just to try to get the car running and go from there. Lito's going to send me another tune with less fuel. So leave the spark plugs in and just try it again?
For a little pick me up, went on a short drive in my buddies turbo3v...holy wheelspin-in-third!
Thanks for the help

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
No problem. The plugs will be fine. If you can rotate the engine by hand you don't need to pull them. Just be prepared even w a good start up at this point, it's still going to run like shit and smoke at first.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
What's the purpose of rotating the engine? Push left over gas in there out the exhaust?
Also, do I floor the gas before i crank it or crank it then floor it?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Floor it and then crank it. Lito's tune should be close but you can try starting it with the MAF unplugged and see what it does.

Earl

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks Earl. My plan tonight its just to get the battery off, get it fully charged (went dead last night from trying to crank it), and crack the oil filler tube open to help get rid of vapors. I'll load the new tune he sent me to the xcal and wait till tomorrow to try to start it. Hopefully get it to start and idle. Thanks for the help guys. Any advise on livelink?

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I get that message sometimes in livelink also, just have to unplug everything and start over. Have had to restart the laptop once too, as mentioned before.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Rotating just makes sure it's not a stuck injector that may hydrolock the engine. Probably not, and if it sits long enough the gas will end up in the pan. But bending a rod like that really sucks.
Flooring it shuts the injectors off. So if you crank and it doesn't fire, floor it so it tries to lite what is already in the cyl's. When it starts or tries you can let off the pedal.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Floor it and then crank it. Lito's tune should be close but you can try starting it with the MAF unplugged and see what it does.

Earl

This. Startup tunes are rich generaly. You can unplug the maf to defualt to basic trims to make it easier to start the car, then let the car idle till it gets some heat in it, then plug the maf back in and restart it to overcome the flooding issue. Then take the idle datalogs for him.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so you guys think it'll be ok to run the motor with fuel in the motor oil in it? I took the battery to get charged/tested, I'll pick it up tomorrow and try this again. I tried to take the plugs off to see what they looked like, turned a 1/4 turn, sprayed with seafoam, and letting them soak over night so I'll try to get them off tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, and I'm trying to keep my cool...woo-saahh... I'll be off for a week starting this Friday, so I'll have more time too work on it. Come up with a plan on yours?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back