Turbo Saleen final steps

Meikol02

Reaction score
Yup...Aluminator 4.6, stage 3 ported heads, LT's, high flow catted x, Comp stage 3 blower cams, big oil pan, and some other little stuff. Going to talk to get started next week I think. First one to run (again)wins!

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Take a break if you need. I wanna burn them to the ground sometimes.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not touching the car tomorrow, I think I'll do just that. I'm tempted to just go to town with my 1/2 in impact since one broke off anyway, lol. Ford really screwed up with this design.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I just had really bad luck with mine as well. Tried every trick other than the impact. Use deep creep and everything. Ended up breaking all 8 damnit!! Im doing the S&H Turbo kit...

Guess you gottta pay to play!!

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Gosh Jimmy, I have never broken a plug. Maybe you are just too strong. :oops1:

Looks like the original owner never changed them, Taxman's going to help me out with the tool to extract the plug.

W3-yeah, i guess so, some just more than others, lol. Good luck with your build.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
I just had really bad luck with mine as well. Tried every trick other than the impact. Use deep creep and everything. Ended up breaking all 8 damnit!! Im doing the S&H Turbo kit...

Guess you gottta pay to play!!

How did the tool work for you? Have much trouble getting the rest out?

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Well the tool works great! I can extract the remaining tip in about 5 minutes per cylinder including vacuuming the junk out. The only problem I had was getting the ones out that only the threads came out and off the plug. I had to pull 5 of them out with vise grips and pliers. Now I just have 4 more tips to extract and I'll be in business!!

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Well the tool works great! I can extract the remaining tip in about 5 minutes per cylinder including vacuuming the junk out. The only problem I had was getting the ones out that only the threads came out and off the plug. I had to pull 5 of them out with vise grips and pliers. Now I just have 4 more tips to extract and I'll be in business!!

The plug i broke did the same thing, split right down the middle, guess I'll put my irwin visegrips to work. The plan is to pull that one out, replace it with an old plug (I'll antiseize the tip), run the car, get it hot and then try to crack them loose, maybe have better luck with the rest.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely use a bunch of PB blaster or Seafoam Deep Creep. I didn't have the ability to start it up and warm the plugs. I feel like that made it harder

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Idk man, you hear all kinds if different shit about this, hell, the guy in motor week had it done in at least two different segments on the 3v plugs and said it different on both. I think they just say to do it on a cold engine so people aren't burning themselves on a hot engine and catching crap from it.

Last edited:

Meikol02

Reaction score
I have changed mine four times, (every year) and the trick is really to not leave them in too long in the first place. Make sure to use the nickel anti-seeze as directed to keep the sleeve/shroud from sticking next time as well. I have removed them after warming the car a bit (not hot to the touch) and at garage temp (~80deg). I have been lucky in the spark plug department.

Now rods are another subject entirely! haha

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
I have changed mine four times, (every year) and the trick is really to not leave them in too long in the first place. Make sure to use the nickel anti-seeze as directed to keep the sleeve/shroud from sticking next time as well. I have removed them after warming the car a bit (not hot to the touch) and at garage temp (~80deg). I have been lucky in the spark plug department.

Now rods are another subject entirely! haha

:beerchug2:

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
Agreed, trick is nickel antiseize and not letting them stay in long. looking forward to seeing the end product Jimmy.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed, trick is nickel antiseize and not letting them stay in long. looking forward to seeing the end product Jimmy.

I have some anti-seize but I'm not sure if it's nickel, so I'll just get some to be sure. I checked the oil last night and can hardly smell the gas in there any more, so just for the first datalog at idle, I'll leave it in there and change it after that. I'll get on my lap top today and upload some pics, my phone won't let me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back