Turbo Saleen final steps

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Yeah I just cant decide where I want to keep it at! I dont want to put the 8.7 in and then it blow up lol

Plus I dont trust myself with a boost controller! haha

I ran 8.7 and it was fine bro. You'll be fine, just make sure Lito keeps the tune healthy and conservative. Which he will

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Couldn't help it, and my wife is all up for it but we are now looking into internals or a short block to turn up the boost. I heard from many people turbo power is addicting but damn, lol. I haven't even turned it up to 9psi but I'm ready for more. I'll be doing alot of searching to see which is the best route for me, I'm open to doing a 302 stroker and doing the engine work myself except machining, etc. since my engine has 80k miles. Time to use the crap out of the "search" function, lol. Maybe I can take JR Granatelli's offer and see if what we can come up with, who knows.

Granatelli

forum member
Reaction score
Thought this was relevant

05TurboS197002-1_zpsd962bcd0.jpg

05TurboS197001-1_zps52a654bc.jpg

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the noob question but, what does "dumped downpipes" mean? Just read throgh the whole thread, looks great!

Basically no muffler. The down pipe is what comes off the turbo towards the rear of the car to connect to the factory exhaust. Dumped down pipe would mean the exhaust would end before it splits off and goes to the over the axle pipes and axle backs.

warpig12354

too slow
Reaction score
So there would be no point in an axleback? Only for show? Thanks for the help, great build btw, just read through yours as well lol

Granatelli

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry for the noob question but, what does "dumped downpipes" mean? Just read through the whole thread, looks great!

Dump pipe - they are referring to the turbo by-pass. The turbo has a waste gate. The waste gate "dumps" exhaust pressure when the desired manifold boost is met. (Short answer) In many applications the "dump" pipe goes back into the exhaust and it is quieter. In the case of the Granatelli S197 kit when let the dump pipe “dump” to open air so when it goes into by-pass you can really hear it. If that is not clear enough I will try to go into more detail – just let me know

Granatelli

forum member
Reaction score
Basically no muffler. The down pipe is what comes off the turbo towards the rear of the car to connect to the factory exhaust. Dumped down pipe would mean the exhaust would end before it splits off and goes to the over the axle pipes and axle backs.

Copy2of980508-001.jpg

Above - Here are "dump" pipes that go to open air

Below - is a picture of what comes on the S197 kit

IMG_9762_zps25620e1a.jpg

Below you will see when the dump pipes go back into the exh system

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_4399.jpg

Clearer now?:crazy:

ctt326

Brenspeed Hater
Reaction score
That's what i thought, but its torque figures.

Oh shit lol, well I guess that would be very early in the rpm to make that much power! But hearing and seeing what everyone else has made with around that much boost I'd say mid 400s are easily obtainable.

Saleen S281

forum member
Reaction score
Oh shit lol, well I guess that would be very early in the rpm to make that much power! But hearing and seeing what everyone else has made with around that much boost I'd say mid 400s are easily obtainable.

Now that I think about it, I think this is on a bone stock car with the stock injectors with 91oct fuel. I have a Magnaflow/Saleen exhaust, cmdp, 39#injectors, 93 oct, Saleen udp, and Lito tuning it, so I'm guessing I'm at least @ 430whp @6#s. I'll know more when I go to the track.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back