Turbos - How much do they lower the exhaust note?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dumped gate is the way to go. Can't really do it easily when the gates are up in the engine bay though.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Right, all the exhaust would just be filling the engine bay lol.

Where should I dump it? I'm thinking about just running open downpipe to see how loud it is and if I get smells in the interior. And I got that video Jeremy, lol! It'd be neat to run open wastegate but I couldn't of course with the engine bay setup :tdown:

If it's not retarded loud and I don't notice any fumes then I may just leave it open downpipe and drop the rest of the exhaust. Huge weight savings and I could eventually put a cervinis rear valance (the one from the side exhaust kit) to cover the whole where tips used to come out :thumb:

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Wouldn't dumping them right at the end of the down pipe be the same as running open wastegate on the stealth setup (fume and noise-wise)

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nah wastegate is much louder. I'm not sure fume wise I have never had a fume issue.

justinsstang

forum member
Reaction score
Okay cool, would you say the turbo kit you're using sit near where the downpipe would connect to the mid pipe on my on3? Just trying to get a mental visual if it could even work xD

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Jeremy, you mentioned that you have 3" all the way and a free-flowing straight-through exhaust, and as such, you keep the cutouts closed at all times. Have you checked the difference on your setup with the cutouts open vs. closed?

I'll be running a non-chambered dynomax 3" muffler with 3" piping all the way (separate, no crossover); hope to get some videos soon of how it will sound.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jeremy, you mentioned that you have 3" all the way and a free-flowing straight-through exhaust, and as such, you keep the cutouts closed at all times. Have you checked the difference on your setup with the cutouts open vs. closed?

I'll be running a non-chambered dynomax 3" muffler with 3" piping all the way (separate, no crossover); hope to get some videos soon of how it will sound.

Nah haven't checked it on my setup. It does step down to 2.5" from the downpipes to the over axle pipes and then back up to 3" magnaflow over axle pipes and the magnapack mufflers. I planned to change that to straight 3" one day like ya'll but haven't got around to it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back