TVS 2.3 VS Whipple 2.3

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
Eventually I will be adding a blower to my 5.0 I was hoping some one could explain the difference between the 2. My car will not be at the track all the time. Maybe 2 to 3 times a year. Any information you can give me will be helpful. Yes I did use the search function.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
The TVS is what's known as a roots type positive displacement supercharger. The whipple is a twin screw positive displacement supercharger.

I suggest you Google both, because each has its pros and cons, but basically the roots is an air pump that uses back pressure to generate boost, whereas the twin screw actually compresses the air while pumping it.

The whipple is regarded as being more thermally efficient than the roots blowers, but I'm not sure when it comes to the smaller whipples. The TVS may win there. The bigger whipples are usually the better ones.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Whatever you do...if you buy a used one.....

DO NOT BUY FORUM MEMBER "FAST3V's" USED WHIPPLE 2.3!!!
His name is Leo and he's from Austin TX area.
It may come up for sale on another forum, too.
You've been informed.

Not hijacking your thread.
Now, back to it.....

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
IMO they are fairly comparable as headunits. Different technology that looks almost identical. Whipple is even buying the intake manifolds from Roush for the 5.0. If I was in the market I'd be ok with either one. If buying a complete kit with tune I'd go FRPP Whipple and leave it alone, lol. It would provide enough power to push the limits of a good street car and that FRPP tune would insure it drove like stock and still be relatively safe for the motor.

What are you finding out?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
IMO they are fairly comparable as headunits. Different technology that looks almost identical. Whipple is even buying the intake manifolds from Roush for the 5.0. If I was in the market I'd be ok with either one. If buying a complete kit with tune I'd go FRPP Whipple and leave it alone, lol. It would provide enough power to push the limits of a good street car and that FRPP tune would insure it drove like stock and still be relatively safe for the motor.

What are you finding out?

This. Either get the whipple kit from FRPP or wait for the DOB setup to come out.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
If staying at 2.3 liters, I'd go TVS. I think the TVS will be slightly more efficient. If going bigger...you MUST go Whipple or Kenne Bell since 2.3 is the biggest TVS.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I can offer the opinion that I've had a 2.3l Whipple on my 5 liter since 2011. It looks oem, performs flawlessly and I would def recommend it for anyone not wanting to go over 750hp to the wheels. With that being said, my friend has tvs and loves it as well. Can't go wrong imo.

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
Both are great blowers but I will likely go with a gen 2 tvs, mostly based on my goals and price. The Whipple kit is more expensive and the tvs can make alot more power than I will be using anyways.

REDS197

Reaction score
If you are keeping the stock motor I would find the best deal and go with it. Either can pop a stock motor. TVS is a torque monster!

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
If you are keeping the stock motor I would find the best deal and go with it. Either can pop a stock motor. TVS is a torque monster!

Exactly, if I get one I will be pretty conservative to start with and once the funds are there for a built bottom end I'll likely turn it up. I haven't followed the tvs numbers that much on the 5.0's but on the gt500's the tvs will make a lot more torque.

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I have heard that the TVS and 2.3 Whipple are similar and was trying to figure out the 2.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Or you could go with our GT550 kit, save yourself a lot of money, have the best engineered belt system, and have the best intercooler ever paired with a PD blower anywhere by anyone.

Do not underestimate how important the intercooler is. All of the blowers make boost, that is not an issue. Not all combos on the other hand run cool enough to where you have full power all the time though.

IMO people should be shopping for intercoolers then decide what blower they are going to be putting on top of it.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
or you could go with our gt550 kit, save yourself a lot of money, have the best engineered belt system, and have the best intercooler ever paired with a pd blower anywhere by anyone.

Do not underestimate how important the intercooler is. All of the blowers make boost, that is not an issue. Not all combos on the other hand run cool enough to where you have full power all the time though.

Imo people should be shopping for intercoolers then decide what blower they are going to be putting on top of it.

alllllll of this^^^

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
Or you could go with our GT550 kit, save yourself a lot of money, have the best engineered belt system, and have the best intercooler ever paired with a PD blower anywhere by anyone.

IMO people should be shopping for intercoolers then decide what blower they are going to be putting on top of it.

Any eta on the kits for the 2011+?
Last I seen was sometime spring.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed. Intercooler, belt setup, etc is what makes or breaks a blower kit. Everyone makes a good blower these days. There are no bad blowers anymore, just bad kits.

Same thing in vette land, all run same head units or good headunits, just some kits bend brackets, break tensioners, can't hold a belt on, etc. You shop for a good reliable belt setup, not a "good" blower.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Any eta on the kits for the 2011+?
Last I seen was sometime spring.

Correct, spring. But if you live anywhere near Michigan we need a 2011-2014 car to do an install/take pictures for instructions, etc. I started a thread about it yesterday but I'm on my phone right now and can't manage the gymnastics of linking it. Check the thread out, it's a pretty good deal.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Agreed. Intercooler, belt setup, etc is what makes or breaks a blower kit. Everyone makes a good blower these days. There are no bad blowers anymore, just bad kits.

Same thing in vette land, all run same head units or good headunits, just some kits bend brackets, break tensioners, can't hold a belt on, etc. You shop for a good reliable belt setup, not a "good" blower.

That's exactly how we got into the car thing (we were doing motorcycle stuff before). I had a blower kit that was chucking belts so we fixed that. Then we came to realize the intercooler was a big problem, so we went down the road of learning about that and fixing things. And here we are now, no intentions of doing out own head units but we are going to take manifold, intercooler and belt kit design to the next level. Scratch that, we're skipping a few levels and going right for "as good as it gets".

PM me some info on the Vette issues. We are always interested in new problems to solve.

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a used 2.8L Kenne Bell liquid cooled kit for sale, PM me if you want details. I am also located in NC.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
DOB, companies like you fixed the belt/systems a while ago. ECS and A&A dominate the vette market because they went in and fixed the procharger/vortech brackets, made better ones, better inlets, better tensioners, better intercoolers, etc and so now vortech doesn't even make kits anymore for vettes, they just rely on those companies, and procharger dumps a ton into marketing trying to keep up, even though to make big power you land up replacing 90% of their kit and just keep the head unit.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
DOB, companies like you fixed the belt/systems a while ago. ECS and A&A dominate the vette market because they went in and fixed the procharger/vortech brackets, made better ones, better inlets, better tensioners, better intercoolers, etc and so now vortech doesn't even make kits anymore for vettes, they just rely on those companies, and procharger dumps a ton into marketing trying to keep up, even though to make big power you land up replacing 90% of their kit and just keep the head unit.

That's actually good news. I would love to get to the point where we are pushing the market around. Clearly it can be done.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back