Uh oh...she asked...what about a convertible?

callahan318

Reaction score
So I am going to ask a few questions...

1. How hard is it to have gears swapped in the rear end of the Stang? They are 3.31s in the convertible, and I really want 3.73s

2. How is the convertible as far as holding up to body roll, handling, etc etc?

3. How noisy is the convertible with the top up?

4. How does the convertible hold up over time?

5. What about in the rain and living in a place like Oregon where it rains a bit.

6. Are the convertible tops expensive to replace?

7. Are heated seats a good idea with a convertible?

(I am thinking that if I get the Convertible, I will not be driving it a lot in the rain...)

BMWM3

Always Online
Reaction score

1. How hard is it to have gears swapped in the rear end of the Stang? They are 3.31s in the convertible, and I really want 3.73s

5. What about in the rain and living in a place like Oregon where it rains a bit.

(I am thinking that if I get the Convertible, I will not be driving it a lot in the rain...)

I have and coupe and convertible the only difference in them is the convertible have different suspension than coupe's , and require different springs , shocks, and bars. , you can still use the coupe springs and shocks, bu the ride comfort will suffer big time.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

$500 parts and labor - not a big deal

fine - you can stiffen it some with upgraded sway bars

if stock it's noisier then the coupe but not bad

the top? cant help - mine is garage kept and looks great, the top is hardly up.

what about it the car can get wet

the fabric is not too bad, the whole frame and pumps yes

yes if you'll drive it in cooler weather with the top down, I drive mine top down in 40* temps (no heated seats) and I'm ok with it.

/\ see red above

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
2. The chassis on the S197 convertible is stiff, mine had rear bolt on sub frame connectors from the factory.

3. Coupe is much more quite.

4. My top (Cloth) held up like shit, wear holes were developing and Ford did not want to warranty it, it also was beginig to fade in spots and it was only 3 years old.

5. Its fine in the rain

7. Get the heated Seats!!! I had them and now i dont on my coupe and i miss it. The vert does not provide as good insulation as the coupe, it tends to get cold/hot very quickly.

Verts are fun! dont forget the sunblock.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Verts are definitely fun!

Since my top is rarely up, so I could care less about additional noises. But I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was with the top up. And the heated seats do come in handy for those chilly days with the top dropped!

As with RedMosesSC, my cloth top started showing wear marks very prematurely. But I found out on another forum that Ford came out with a redesigned cloth top and has started replacing them (when requested) under warranty. Mine is in right now getting a new one, which was very timely as they approved the replacement about 2 weeks before my warranty expired.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
We have an 06 vert and an 06 coupe. I'm running Tokico D-specs and Steeda Competition springs on the vert.

2. Vert comes with the subframe connectors. The S197 chassis is stiffer than previous model years.
3. The coupe is quieter, but the vert is not loud as such. There is a difference, but it's not big. If you think replacing the stock mufflers on a coupe sounds good, wait til you do it on a vert and take a ride with the top down.
4/5. Cars get wet, and my top is yet to leak. The vinyl top is holding up great, and even keeps the water out in torrential downpours.
7. I live in NC, and I really don't miss them. When I lived in Europe I loved them.

I'd get a vert again.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score

My 05 GT came with 3.55's

No major issues that I have experienced

They have done a really good job with the top. There is a liner that makes it appear almost like it is a coupe from the inside

Mine is an 05 daily driver and it still looks new

I live in Vancouver and we get a shit load of rain here. No issues thus far

As mentioned the fabric is fairly inexpensive but the hardware is not cheap

Heated seats kick ass! I have driven in quite cold weather with the top down and heated seats maximizes the amount of top down time

^^ see comments

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Biggest difference I noted after driving a V6 Convertible was bodyflex, going over things like railroad tracks. I could definitely tell the chassis was not as stiff as a coupe due to the lack of roof.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the vinyl top, 3 years old, has held up great. Get your self a strut tower brace and a thicker rear swaybar. Heated seats ftw!

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any convertible is going to be a little "looser" than the coupe version... but I found mine (05 GT vert) to be pretty stiff, everything being said. Add the FRRP sways and it is even better.

The vinyl top has been great with no problems. I get no leakage from rain or anything. It can get chilly quicker in comparison, but that's why they make heaters for...

My 05 came with 3.55's as well...

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
The vinyl tops are great. Very tight, no leaks and really no wind noise at all when windows are up etc.

More chassis flex than coupe.... duh

Can't beat going topless while doing donuts! Zoom past the dyno pull.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaM2fjdX0LM

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

My car is set up pretty stiff and it rides great. Running 4 turns out in front and 3.5 in rear on the D specs.

Only real noise is the vert release handles (over the windshield) tend to rattle a bit on choppy road. My car is an 05 so they probably have improved them.

Oh yeah,
Tokico D specs
FRPP sway bars
Steeda Ultralites
UMI UCA w/rotojoint
Metco UCA bracket
Prothane UCA pumpkin bushing
Edelbrock LCA
BMR UCA relocation brackets
Edelbrock Panhard rod

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back