Unreasonable engine build timeline?

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
I am not looking to throw a prominent company under the bus so no names shall be mentioned. However I order a be forged stroked 326 3v 5.0 blokj fully dressed note with stage 3 ported and polished heads with cuwtom grind cams and behive springs , a mugnum xl transmission upgrade kit, full suspension, ford racing intake manifold, a 3.12 Paxton pulley for my 2200 ho Paxton supercharger, upgraded twin gt 500 fuel pumps with twin 40 amp boost a pumps and 78lb deitwork injectors, along with full BMR tubular kemembers and under chassis bracing for weight reduction. Upgraded engine cooling kit, varex remote mufflers with kooks long tube headers and vatted x pipe. New McCloud ext clutch and lightens steel flywheel with new slave cylinder and throwout bearing.

That's pretty much everything I can remember off the too of my head.

Now lies the problem. I placed the order on December 4th and it is now February 18th I have received almost everything except the most important piece the motor.. I am being told the machine shop is not done With the heads yet and that's delaying finishing. Am I unreasonable to thing that 2 and a half months is a very long time for heads to be complete? They have been nice and pleasant to deal with I am just concerned..

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice build. The winter is when everyone is building their stuff and good machine shops are usually backed up 2-3 months. I don't think your situation is an unreasonable time frame. On this forum this is not considered a tech question, it belongs in Chit Chat.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
If it were 6 months i would be worried. Its an engine, pretty detailed build from the looks. I would be patient and not want to rush with that kinda coin involved.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Went through similar crap with my first engine build. Engine build, 28 spline input shaft in my 3650, heads worked on....was supposed to be 3-4 weeks and ended up being like 13-14 weeks and thousands more than the original estimate.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
As other have mentioned this is pretty normal. There are quite a few of us that that have gone 6 months to a year... Hell I'm at 10 months but I know the level of work that is being done as well. Quality shops will take some time because quality shops are very busy!!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Went through similar crap with my first engine build. Engine build, 28 spline input shaft in my 3650, heads worked on....was supposed to be 3-4 weeks and ended up being like 13-14 weeks and thousands more than the original estimate.

I thought that was the law of physics concerning all automotive work.

2013sTang

forum member
Reaction score
Nice build, seems pretty normal when if comes to machining. Its better they take there time then do a rush job

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you guys very much. I appreciate it and apologize for posting in the incorrect thread. As far as NHL team ,far as I went was P-Bruins. The build has been a long time in the planning or changing of plans. Many peoples original assertions are correct. Plan for end goals before but in parts and bolting on or you will be parting out a ton of stuff later.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Even the best shops have things out of their control. Simple things like someone getting the flu or a piece of machinery going down can screw up timelines for a long time.

It will be over at some point and the delay will become a distant memory.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
In all the various things I've done and ordered for business or pleasure, machine shops have consistently taken 3x longer than anticipated. I mean really has anyone ever got something from a machine shop on time?

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
I haven't heard mine run in almost 2 years!

But that's on me. I know the stock heads flow well enough for my pretty standard build, but I want that little extra that comes with having heads worked over. I have everything sitting here to put mine back together.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
In all the various things I've done and ordered for business or pleasure, machine shops have consistently taken 3x longer than anticipated. I mean really has anyone ever got something from a machine shop on time?

The shop I use is pretty good about timelines. It can take awhile but they are upfront with how long it will take. The only time they were off by more than a day or two (I've had things done a few days early and a few days late) was when a machine operator was out for over a week with bronchitis. It screwed them up for quite awhile afterwards too.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Or parts that never show up that were promised months ago.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My longest wait was the machine shop as well. 2-3 months iirc.

Had experience working with a cnc machining shop this past year as well. Was quoted 3-4 weeks to get custom plates designed and built and ended up taking a little over 4 months to get them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back