Using a Bullitt strut tower brace with whipple

JCH2008GT

forum member
Reaction score
My buddy is wanting to put a whipple on his 08 Bullitt, but doesn't want to get rid of the factory strut tower brace. What modifications need to be done to the brace in order to make it work? I know it has been done, just not sure what he needs to do. Appreciate any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I wasn't able to use mine with the Roush M90, even after dropping the motor with the BMR K member. It cleared the blower but not the air intake/throttle body. I know a couple guys had theirs modified by carving out the bottom of the tube and welding it closed with a flat filler piece, then painting it. I wasn't willing to work that hard at it.

If you try to use spacers under the mounting tabs then it hits the hood. Even stock mine was rubbing the hood insulation. An aftermarket hood with more clearance would be necessary.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
My buddy is wanting to put a whipple on his 08 Bullitt, but doesn't want to get rid of the factory strut tower brace. What modifications need to be done to the brace in order to make it work? I know it has been done, just not sure what he needs to do. Appreciate any help.

If your buddy doesn't want to lose his OEM STB.. Another option would be Vortech, Procharger or Paxton as an alternative.. However if he still prefers the PD style roots (whipple) Chances are he'll need to modify the STB just as Skwerl mentioned in order to have enough clearance..

Your buddy may also want to look into Kenne Bell as a possible alternative as well.. It's still considered a PD type blower, but is a twin screw rather than the roots style whipple.. The Kenne Bell just might be the right size blower to clear your OEM Bullitt STB..

JCH2008GT

forum member
Reaction score
His best option might be to just ditch the bar. He's leaning towards a whipple, and modifying the brace seems like a headache.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Dunno about the bullitt hood, but steeda makes several stb's that will clear both a blower and the hood. My 2010 FRPP stb ( identical to the stb used on the 11+ V6 cars..and also identical to the Boss stb) would not clear my M90 . Steeda makes 2 x stb's that easily clear the m90 and also the TVS-2300 pd blowers..and clears the hood on the 10+ cars. But the 10-12 cars all got the 'power dome hood'. Steed makes several stbs that will clear any of the whipple blowers...... but may not clear the hood on the bullitt.

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Does the strut tower brace even do that much for you performance wise that it's worth keeping, or is it the fact that it came with the car so you leave it on?

JCH2008GT

forum member
Reaction score
Does the strut tower brace even do that much for you performance wise that it's worth keeping, or is it the fact that it came with the car so you leave it on?

He mainly wants it because it's something original on his Bullitt. I think I may have him talked into taking it off now to do the whipple. I told him he won't care about that stupid bar once he feels some power lol

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I ended up hanging mine in the garage next to the car. Makes a nice towel rack for hanging detail towels.

07 Boss

Reaction score
If your buddy doesn't want to lose his OEM STB.. Another option would be Vortech, Procharger or Paxton as an alternative.. However if he still prefers the PD style roots (whipple) Chances are he'll need to modify the STB just as Skwerl mentioned in order to have enough clearance..

Your buddy may also want to look into Kenne Bell as a possible alternative as well.. It's still considered a PD type blower, but is a twin screw rather than the roots style whipple.. The Kenne Bell just might be the right size blower to clear your OEM Bullitt STB..

Uhhhh...Whipple is a twin screw, not a roots style blower. Same as a KB.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score

as a bullitt owner I can understand his thinking.
the strut brace is a important part of what makes a bullitt mustang a bullitt mustang. there is a tag on the strut brace identifying it as a bullitt.
I cut the pipe and added a plate to mine to fit over my TVS 2300. i haven't checked to see if it fits yet.
as mentioned he could try adding shims to raies it a bit for clearance.
I have a drop k member and the brace clears the supercharger. it doesn't clear the throttle body.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
He mainly wants it because it's something original on his Bullitt. I think I may have him talked into taking it off now to do the whipple. I told him he won't care about that stupid bar once he feels some power lol

Then he'll have to determine which is more important.. Power or STB ! Or he can also look into a Kenne Bell just as I previously mentioned as a possible alternative..

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
It ain't happening without some custom modifications. The arch simply won't work with the throttle body. You either have to cut it or bend it. Period. A KB setup won't work, spacers won't work, lower motor mounts are required just to clear the blower body but won't fix the throttle body conflict. Spacers will make it hit the hood.

Sorry to contradict all the well meaning suggestions but a few of us actually own (or owned) supercharged Bullitts and have been through the same dilemma.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
It ain't happening without some custom modifications. The arch simply won't work with the throttle body. You either have to cut it or bend it. Period. A KB setup won't work, spacers won't work, lower motor mounts are required just to clear the blower body but won't fix the throttle body conflict. Spacers will make it hit the hood.

Sorry to contradict all the well meaning suggestions but a few of us actually own (or owned) supercharged Bullitts and have been through the same dilemma.

Then his only other options are Vortech, Procharger or Paxton... Otherwise if he's only interested in the whipple ? He'll have to make a decision as to which is more important.. Making more power or keeping his OEM Bulliit STB !

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

Adding a STB is like closing off the 4th side of a rectangle, yes it does make a difference to handling.

To clear a whipple, and clear the hood, + cai, tb, etc, it will probably have to be custom made. Put a go pro camera + strong light under the hood,along with steel rulers etc, to see what you are actually dealing with.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Adding a STB is like closing off the 4th side of a rectangle, yes it does make a difference to handling.

To clear a whipple, and clear the hood, + cai, tb, etc, it will probably have to be custom made. Put a go pro camera + strong light under the hood,along with steel rulers etc, to see what you are actually dealing with.

From my understanding.. He's not interested in adding an aftermarket brace, but instead wants to keep his OEM Bullitt STB that came installed from the factory..

So unless he's willing to make some modifications to his STB in order to clear the throttle body, intake tube and hood.. He's going to have to decide which is more important, making more power with the Whipple or remain OEM stock and keep the Bullitt STB..

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back