V6 Upgrades Opinions

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, the wife has given me a budget to spend on the car. Hoping to get an honest answer without the random "hu hu why don ya jus buy a GT?" trolls.

Ok. I'm getting the Stage II Procharger and the FRPP True Dual exhaust.....that's been decided

My question is, which gears come the MOST recommended by others who have bought them? The 3.73s or the 4.10s? I've heard nothing but good about the both.....i'm just curious if the members of the board had to pick ONE.......which one it would be.

Next........like I said....I'm on a budget that I have been begging for for a year now. So if I can save money on the install or not buying them I'm fine. What are views on headers......is it even worth the purchase/install fee to get them since i'm getting the procharger......i'm leaning toward NO, but would like a secound opinion.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Expect to need to buy more items, mainly, suspension and tires.

For that blower, I prefer 373's to keep from breaking the back wheels loose too easily.
But, the real question is, how do you intend to use the car? If you want the absolute best track times, 410's. Otherwise go with 373's for better overall driving.

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
At charlie, i didnt post it in there because the only thing people are going to say is to buy a gt instead of giving me an answer. Thats why i posted in the V6 thread

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
At charlie, i didnt post it in there because the only thing people are going to say is to buy a gt instead of giving me an answer. Thats why i posted in the V6 thread

You don't have a very high opinion of folks around here do you? :beerdrink:

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
Just basing my thought process off of every prior post that i have posted in general posts that involve the words "v6" and "performance". Honestly, Texas is one of the very first people to answer a question with an honest answer.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Charlie is correct in his suggestion. Moved.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
Is there a reason you don't want to trade it in for a v8? Just curious since the cost of a blower and supporting mods would probably be more expensive.

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
The exterior and interior is beyond the trade in point and im not willing to go back in debt on another car when im getting ready to buy my wife ANOTHER one

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Like Texas said it would depend on what you would like to do with the car but I would say 3.73s would do.

IMO headers aren't worth it since the sound that LTs make are a deep drone from what I have heard others say and shorties aren't going to give that much more power over stock since the stock headers do flow very well out of the box.

monk36

forum member
Reaction score
I would prefer a powerhouse turbo system if it were me. Also just thinking out loud, I'd also look into a 3.7 swap, though I don't know what it would take at all rights now.

Last edited:

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I would prefer a powerhouse turbo system if it were me. Also just thinking out loud, I'd also look into a 3.7 swap, though I don't know what it would take at all rights now.

4.6 would probably be easier, but if he goes that route he might as well go with the 5.4. The problem with moding the v6 is that your going to be limited since there isn't really a demand for it.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
But, it's your car. Adding 100+ hp to a V6 really brings it alive!
Sure it's not a GT or V8, but it'll give you more power that a lot of n/a V8's. You dont have to have a GT to have the fun!
That is, however, pretty-much limiting it out without putting a lot more work into it.

Also, with a V8 instead of a procharged/vorteched v6, the torque will be stronger sooner. There is a noticeable difference. Still though, putting a blower on a 4.0 is a very easy project with decent results.
Just be sure you get a GOOD tune for it. You can easily destroy the engine with a poor tune or a lack of fuel.

(don't listen to the v6-haters; it is very cool to have a v6 that can spank a lot of v8's!!!)

PvilleStang

Your tax dollars at work!
Reaction score
If paying the money to swap to a 3.7, why not just make the jump to a V8?

TexasBlownV8 HAD a V6 in it. He would probably be the best to discuss that with, although he broke down and came over to the dark side. If the budget is right, I'd look into a V8, built, and drop it in. NA should last you longer, and doesn't require near the maintenance / upgrading.

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score
Here is the list of mods from my V6 that I just sold for some ideas on performance items with a blower:

HIPO2.8 XCHARGER
P&P Throttle body
Pypes mid muffler duals
Shaftmasters 4"
8.8/3.55
wideband and Boost Gauge
HotParts LCAs/UCA
CHE K-member brace w/tq limiters
Roush rear springs
Drilled/Slotted rotors
DynoJet 318WTQ 307WHP...Stock clutch and T-5 no problems.

My 7.5 axle lasted about a year with 3.73s and a t-loc. I suggest you find a takeoff 8.8 with the gears of your choice. You will also need a cobra pinion flange to bolt up the V6 drive shaft. The 3.73s were fun, but I like the 3.55s better for street driving and would not have minded going back to 3.31s. I enjoy the top end pull of those gears on the street as the Xcharger had plenty of low end. Since you are going centrifugal, your boost will not come on as soon as my Xcharger did, but you should be making 40+ more hp/tq than I did. If you are manual I would go 3.73 or 3.55 if you get the 8.8. If you have an auto why not go with the 4.10s to let that blower spool up quicker and really throw you in your seat.

I never bothered with them, but shorty headers may net you some gains and deeper exhaust note. I do not recommend long tubes on the V6. From my experience, as soon as you remove the stock cats, the car sounds like a rice bag...FRPP duals are expesive but a good kit.

Good luck!

monk36

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know how well produced the procharger kit for the 4.0 is, but i can tell you their 3.8 kit had issues. I had a 2002 procharged v6, and (found out after purchace), that the kit was known to have a problem where the mounting bracket for the blower was slightly off, producing a better belt eating machine than car. If the 4.0 kit is better engineered then great, but i would be leary.

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
I met the owner of a supercharged 2010 V6 Mustang at a track day. He claimed to have about 350 HP to the wheels and the car moved pretty well for a V6. He did have quite a few modifications though. Intake, supercharger, headers, high flow cats, exhaust, custom tune, etc... He also had some suspension and brake upgrades. By the time he was done, he probably could have bought a G, but he was paying much less in insurance than he would on a GT.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back