Valve Springs

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
I found the PAC springs at Livernois a better deal/value. The PAC’s fall in between the Comp 113 and 125’s meaning they are stiffer than 113’s but not as stiff as 125’s. A bonus for the PAC also is you can re use your stock spring retainers and keepers, lessening your cost and they require no special machining or shims

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
I found the PAC springs at Livernois a better deal/value. The PAC’s fall in between the Comp 113 and 125’s meaning they are stiffer than 113’s but not as stiff as 125’s. A bonus for the PAC also is you can re use your stock spring retainers and keepers, lessening your cost and they require no special machining or shims

Finally getting around to putting my big blower motor together. I’ve had everything but springs sitting here for 3 years.

Let me ask this...

Do I need to do anything to the heads other than change springs? Should I have the heads decked for a smooth mating surface? Change valves? Port/polish?

I feel I should change seals since I’ll have it apart and they’ve been sitting. Other than that...I really think I’m good to go.

302 iron block
Kellogg crank
Oliver rods
Diamond pistons
KB 2.8 blower
Comp Cams 127550 cams
ID1000
Fore fuel system

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Let me ask this...

Do I need to do anything to the heads other than change springs? Should I have the heads decked for a smooth mating surface? Change valves? Port/polish?

While it is all apart, I'm a big fan of "port matching", there are good gains to be had for next to nothing but some labor. On my 91, the ports of the crate engine and the Systamax intake the port match was piss poor. lol I just 'gasket matched' them. I don't have dyno info on before/after, but I did think it was an improvement I could feel.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
Finally getting around to putting my big blower motor together. I’ve had everything but springs sitting here for 3 years.

Let me ask this...

I feel I should change seals since I’ll have it apart and they’ve been sitting. Other than that...I really think I’m good to go.

302 iron block
Kellogg crank
Oliver rods
Diamond pistons
KB 2.8 blower
Comp Cams 127550 cams
ID1000
Fore fuel system

You will need stiffer springs than the ones I got from Livernois with the 550 cams, call them, they should be able to match you with a the proper spring. Never hurts to run your head and shave a few thousands off to ensure its flat/good mating surface

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you do go with the comp springs, I have a set of New in Box steel retainers that I will let go for cheap.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Something I noticed when I had my stage 3 heads assembled with 125 comp springs, the springs have enough walk to contact the bosses around the spring. I had movement measured and the pockets around the springs opened up as a few were contacting aluminum at rest. I think this is probably why a few in the past have had failure with these springs. The dimensions of these springs are wider than oem. And if I’ve been unclear, the pockets I’m referring to is the actual head pockets around the springs

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
So what did you end up going with or doing?

Something I noticed when I had my stage 3 heads assembled with 125 comp springs, the springs have enough walk to contact the bosses around the spring. I had movement measured and the pockets around the springs opened up as a few were contacting aluminum at rest. I think this is probably why a few in the past have had failure with these springs. The dimensions of these springs are wider than oem. And if I’ve been unclear, the pockets I’m referring to is the actual head pockets around the springs

redsnake

Reaction score
if you have the heads off do everything you can to make them flow better. gasket and header/exhaust matching, Stainless valves and new springs and valve guide seals, post the heads and smooth the inside of the heads runners. And deck 030 to 0.40 to make sure the heads are flat and bump the comp ratio, tq in fords order to tighten them down. kevin

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back