Vert pimpin...

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Got my Cervinis Speedster covers mounted. Now off to my paint guy for some nice UA black. Striping ordered. Looking forward to the finished product.

Attachments

• 2013-02-19_18-58-45_223.jpg
    2013-02-19_18-58-45_223.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 2013-02-19_18-58-24_887.jpg
    2013-02-19_18-58-24_887.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 166

xocolleenox

. likes it topless .
Reaction score
I'd love a nice tonneau to clean up the look with the top down. Should look great once is painted. :)

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Very cool... I have a set awaiting install and paint as well. What is the brand of your styling bar?

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Very cool... I have a set awaiting install and paint as well. What is the brand of your styling bar?

It's made by AeroForm. http://afmustang.com/2005-2009mustangsportbar.aspx

When I prefit the Speedster covers I had to elongate the slots on the styling bar mounts about a half inch and move the bar forward that same amount because it fit too tight against the covers crushing the urethane on the bar. Now it fits like a glove. The AeroForm bars have more a swept back lean than most other bars. The styling bar you have (CDC?) looks like it should work no problem. I will say the Cervinis bar is really sweet with these covers but at over 500 bucks I passed. I like the way their bar fits right up to the covers. Other bars I've seen leave quite a gap. I like my red bar that matches my interior anyway and was glad I was able to make it work right up against the covers.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Since the tops are off to paint I'm trying to figure out how to best stripe these covers. The striping on my car is 3M reflective vinyl. Reflective unlike standard vinyl is very hard to work on drastic contours. Trust me, I've striped many an ambulance over my last 20 something years. When worked around sharp bends or contours you can stretch it to a point with a heat gun. But the problem that will creep up on you with this type of film since it has micro glass in it is that eventually in those tight bends and turns it will crack over time. I've come up with two Photoshopped rough designs that will keep me out of the major contours so I can avoid distortion. Feel free to give an opinion on them or make a suggestion towards another design.

That first pic I could let the taper end there. OR.....I could basically flare the taper back out again where the tops curve down behind the driver seat and make a black widow hourglass design.

Attachments

• tops2.jpg
    tops2.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 95
  • tops3.jpg
    tops3.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Most likely what I'm going to have to do is a separate piece first to fill in that deep one inch contour in the middle of the tops. You can see what I'm talking about in the beginning of the thread showing the raw tops. Then I can take the full length stripes over the top of that area and trim it out. Our ambulance manufacturer has had to do this on some of our ambulance bodies as well as myself because of some of the decreasing radius lines of the trucks. Looks like I will have to that with these as well. No way I can run the continuous stripe over that contour in the center with it being an inch deep because it will increase the gap way too much between the left and right stripes if you try to pull it into that sunken contour.

I do believe though that the striping will handle the humps of the covers in this third Photoshop I did below.

tops4_zps1989cef7.jpg

javdog07c/s

forum member
Reaction score
I like the 3rd picture, its going to look awesome, you must post pictures when it done and on the car

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. If I can't get the stripes to flow easily over the contours like the photo in post #10 I may do something like this below and stop the stripe at the humps. But I really-really hope I can achieve the full stripe in post #10.

tops5_zpsb892f8f9.jpg

saleenman

forum member
Reaction score
Either way. That's going to look awesome!!

Hopefully the second pic works out though

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
You should do this Doug! I would if I had a vert.

Totally agree Chris... already have a set awaiting paint in the basement:beer:

I figure seeing Timmbo's set complete would help motivate me to get my set in for paint.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Updated pics??

Painter dropped the tops off at my house Sunday and they look great! It's been snowing and cold here but today and tomorrow are sunny and in the 50's. I could choke that damn groundhog. Winter never lasts this long in TN. I could put the tops on for a photo but the painter is coming back today to help me pull my new Trufiber hood off the car and will be taking it to the shop for paint. So the pic you'd see would be of a car with sweet tops, no hood and large holes in the front quarters for the 3D carbon fender vents that I haven't installed yet because of the temps being too cold for the 3M adhesive. Kind of sucks because he already painted those and did the vent screens in red so it's really going to look bad ass. If you want a photo anyway I'd be happy to do it.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
No worries on the pics as it sounds like you have a very cool exterior transformation underway, so looking forward to the completed shots. But I hear you on this weather as we just returned from a spring vacation down in the Gulf Shores area of southern AL and to say it was unseasonably cold was an understatement... 42 degrees Monday morning when we left for the airport!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back