vinyl or C/S cloth convertible top???

wusthof

forum member
Reaction score
Some junkie fked up my convertible top and now has a nice 10" gash in it. It will be replaced by insurance, but am wondering if I should upgrade to a cloth top and pay the difference (I'm assuming there will be a $$$ diff. and is it worth it). I live in BC Canada where it rains A LOT and am wondering about the durability compared to the regular vinyl version as well as fit n finish, maintanence/cleaning etc - I'm kinda digging the matt finish as well of the cloth - anyone either has converted or has a cloth top have an opinion?? thx a bunch guys!

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
The cloth looks WAY better, however its not as durable, my top started developing wear holes and fading after 10k miles, im sure the mechanism was messed up but Ford refused to fix it.

If you see a Vynl top side by side a cloth top, youll make your decision in heart beat.

MoStang_Side_Right_River_2.jpg

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
I have the cloth top. Love it over the other 2 verts at my house with vinyl. Mine developed white wear marks at the hinges, but ford replaced the top with an updated one. Been holding up since.

To clean it, there are so many different ways. I uses a camel hair brush, then treat it with some scotch guard, keeps all the bird shit and crap off.

Good luck and I hope the douchebag that cut your top develops a case of elephantiasis of the nutz.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cloth looks nicer, but like said, wears 2 to 3 times faster and isnt as durable/easy to clean.

wusthof

forum member
Reaction score
yea, it's a tough call...........

cloth > looks nicer
vinyl > more durable, easier to clean and keep clean

cloth it is!!! lol
headliner, top replacement and all the particulars....installed would be $3400!!! holy fuck! thank god my deductible is $300. I always say, when you have a vert - it's not if, but when your top is gunna get slashed

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If necessary, don't forget the costs of getting the rear window re-tinted. I did and it was a PITA getting insurance to reimburse me.

wusthof

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have it tinted now, but if I go with a cloth, the black is so much deeper in color, so a tint on the back may be - i'll get it professionally dun..........thx for the heads-up!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think your right roper, also it was an option on the gt. But it was pricey.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Msrp is $2200 just for the cloth top trim.

Doesnt include glass, interior trim, framing, molding etc.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
just tell your insurance its a cloth top.. maybe they wont know the diff.. hehe

wusthof

forum member
Reaction score
hehehe maybe I'll do that, but they'll go by the VIN# and I 2nd the C/S and GT500 with the cloth tops. I'm gunna phone Ford tomorrow and see what the price diff. is - damn, hope it's not too much! hmmmm, I wonder if I can hose my insurance

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back