VIR full course coming up. Everyone welcome

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Ive looked into Autopower through MM before and they DID NOT offer a convertible option, howver the description says

"Autopower Roll Bar, 2005-09 Convertible, 4-point"

Ill have to give them a shout

Thanks Duster

Did you click on my link above for the convertible roll bar?

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Did you click on my link above for the convertible roll bar?

Yes i did, Thank You. Ive actually looked into Autopower before, this particular model is UGLY and makes the back seats unusable and it is used on occassion.

But if you gonna be doing 140+ miles an hour, the more bar the better, haha. i was really surprised at how much that 4 point gave in that Tulsa carfx Grabber Blue Mustang that flipped recently.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
When that one flipped, the bar itself didn't fail, it was the mounting pad of the main hoop punching through the floor. Plus, it wasn't really a road-course bar, but a 4-point drag bar with no diagonal or horizontal harness bar.

Any road-course bar that will pass tech will also eliminate usage of the back seat at the same time... The diagonal runs from upper-left to lower-right of the main hoop, and there's a horizontal harness bar running across there as well. If you use the Autopower bar, you should reinforce the floor where it (or any other that bolts to the floorpan) lands the main hoop pads. A 3-sided steel bracket will be all that's required, with one plate on the floor, one on the rear seat pedestal, and the other on the rocker hump. Weld all three to the car and each other, and land the bar on that. John (Philostang) is doing up the extra bracing on mine.

The alternative is to have a custom bar made, and welded in. Either way, if it'll pass tech, it'll cost you the rear seat.

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
I like the Grigg's bar. It mounts to the floor/side right in the front corner of rear seat. It replaces the factory clevis and bolts to the reinforced side and floors areas. The top bolts to the seat belt attachment point which is also a reinforced area.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I like the Grigg's bar. It mounts to the floor/side right in the front corner of rear seat. It replaces the factory clevis and bolts to the reinforced side and floors areas. The top bolts to the seat belt attachment point which is also a reinforced area.

Can you post a link to the Griggs roll bar? Mike

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score

Ah, I see. This is NOT a 4 point roll bar - only bolts to the floor in two places, which is less safe than the Autopower 4 point roll bar which cost almost 50% less. Griggs says, "...you can add two tubes to rear frame section and it will meet most 4 point roll bar requirements..." It's already $895! Now you have to add parts and labor to weld in two additional steel tubes, etc... I'm surprised Griggs would offer such a bar in the first place. Looks more cosmetic than functional to me.

_MG_9692.JPG

Last edited:

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Ah, I see. This is NOT a 4 point roll bar - only bolts to the floor in two places, which is less safe than the Autopower 4 point roll bar which cost almost 50% less. Griggs says, "...you can add two tubes to rear frame section and it will meet most 4 point roll bar requirements..." It's already $895! Now you have to add parts and labor to weld in two additional steel tubes, etc... I'm surprised Griggs would offer such a bar in the first place. Looks more cosmetic than functional to me.

_MG_9692.JPG

The only advantage i can see is their mounting points, they seem to be a much better design, most just include plates that the tubing mates with.

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
It's already $895!

But it's Griggs! :)

For that kind of money you can get a custom bent and welded in 4-point if you shop around. Or get the MM piece and make up a couple tabs to tie it in to the pillar, which I am thinking about doing..but how Griggs does it just doesn't look that beefy from what I can see. In a moderate accident I could see them bending pretty easily. All that said I think Collin has one, maybe he can fill us in if he's paying attention here..

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
Ah, I see. This is NOT a 4 point roll bar - only bolts to the floor in two places...
Actually it is a "4 point" roll bar. It attaches at 4 points, 2 on the floor and 2 at the upper seat belt locations. The floor mounting is much safer than standard plate weld which can blow through the floor. The lower flanges use all the stock mounting bolts (8 or 10 each side).

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Actually it is a "4 point" roll bar. It attaches at 4 points, 2 on the floor and 2 at the upper seat belt locations. The floor mounting is much safer than standard plate weld which can blow through the floor. The lower flanges use all the stock mounting bolts (8 or 10 each side).

The Griggs roll bar does NOT meet SCCA or NASA legal specifications for a 4-point roll bar, and would likely fail most HPDE club technical inspections. Also, any quality roll bar fabricator would laugh you out of their shop if you claimed this to be a 4-point bar safe for the track. From a safety perspective, there are NO advantages to their mounting points except ease of install.

I know you use Griggs parts and all, but come on, this expensive bar is one of the worse designs I've ever seen over the past 5 years of road course events. I believe a driver is actually in more danger using this product should the impact shove/push it forward. Even Griggs doesn't describe it as a 4-point in their product description. They say this:

"For race car use, simply weld in and add two tubes to rear frame section and it will meet most 4 point roll bar requirements, or become the foundation for a full 6 or 8 point roll cage meeting SCCA/NASA Spec."

For that kind of money you can get a custom bent and welded in 4-point if you shop around. ....In a moderate accident I could see them bending pretty easily...

I agree. I had Piper Motorsports custom fabricate AND install (weld in) a 4-point roll bar for my Celica GT for less than $895. Sorry guys.. I take safety very serious. I have a NASA/SCCA legal roll cage in my Corvette and race legal 4-point roll bar in my Celica GT.

OP, sorry for the hijack. Back to your regularly schedule programming...

Last edited:

pcdrj

forum member
Reaction score
The Griggs roll bar does NOT meet SCCA or NASA legal specifications for a 4-point roll bar...

Yeah I agree but my point is it does mount in 4 places. I do think it's safer than some of the cheaper bars which simply bolt or weld to floor boards as we've seen these fail because they rely on floors boards for strength.

I almost did custom but most guys around here are more familiar with NHRA than SCCA standards. I did find $900 should buy you a nice custom setup.

FWIW, don't mean to sound like a Griggs salesman or suggest they have the best value here. Just trying to provide info.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
just to clarify, any roll cage that will be legal for actual racing will not retain the rear seat? i plan on having kids one day and i guess if im going to try and get serious about racing, im gonna have to buy another car to race with. i want to be able to drive around with them in the car

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
just to clarify, any roll cage that will be legal for actual racing will not retain the rear seat? i plan on having kids one day and i guess if im going to try and get serious about racing, im gonna have to buy another car to race with. i want to be able to drive around with them in the car

You shouldn't have people in the back with a cage/bar regardless if you are able to retain the back seat or not..bare noggins meeting .120" DOM in even a minor accident could result in severe injuries or worse. Looks like you're gonna be looking for a new race car! :p

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
You shouldn't have people in the back with a cage/bar regardless if you are able to retain the back seat or not..bare noggins meeting .120" DOM in even a minor accident could result in severe injuries or worse. Looks like you're gonna be looking for a new race car! :p

Great advice - very true! That's why many people go with something simple like a Corbeau harness bar for HPDE type events. While it won't provide you roll over protection, it will allow you to run harnesses (a good 5 or 6 point if you have a race seat) to hold you into your seat so you can focus on feeling and driving the car without having to use your legs, knees, etc. for to brace you in the turns.

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
Great advice - very true! That's why many people go with something simple like a Corbeau harness bar for HPDE type events. While it won't provide you roll over protection, it will allow you to run harnesses (a good 5 or 6 point if you have a race seat) to hold you into your seat so you can focus on feeling and driving the car without having to use your legs, knees, etc. for to brace you in the turns.

My understanding is that some organizers won't let you run only a harness bar without roll over protection as with it and a double shoulder harness you are not able to lean over and get below the body line in event of a roll over.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
My understanding is that some organizers won't let you run only a harness bar without roll over protection as with it and a double shoulder harness you are not able to lean over and get below the body line in event of a roll over.

That's correct for convertibles (I forgot the guy was asking about his convertible earlier....) they will need roll over protection to participate in HPDE. My statement above would only apply to coupes and hard tops. :beerchug2:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back