Vortech V2-SQ Bad Bearing?

silverspec

forum member
Reaction score
So I get in my car today after work - 06 GT. Car has been parked for about 8 hours. Start it up and this is what it sounds like:mad2:

Vortech V2-SQ Bad Bearing

Car has never sounded like this before. Idle is perfect, and it runs smoothly. Bad bearing maybe??

I can check to see if the impeller is touching the cover or something, but again the car was parked the whole day.

I'm not sure as this is my first experience with forced induction so I'm not really sure what the next step is.

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty loud.
You know how it sounded before, right? And this sound is very different?
Check to makes sure the oil tube isn't plugged and starving the blower of oil..that'd be bad.

FWIW, the first time I started the car with a newly-installed Vortech, I thought it had a bad bearing, but that was just the way it sounds. Yours, however, doesn't sound good.

silverspec

forum member
Reaction score
It's never sounded like this before.
It was raining all day yesterday, so I'm hoping it was just condensation or something. Will check the oil tube to make sure it's plugged and the blower is getting the oil it needs.

Going to fire her up in about 30 minutes...keeping my fingers crossed

silverspec

forum member
Reaction score
Well, fired her up and the blower sounds the same.
Next step is going to be taking the car to a local shop for inspection, most likely getting the blower removed and then getting it shipped to Vortech
My plans for new wheels just went out the window:furious:

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Def. sounds like a bad bearing.

Give Vortech a call and see what they think.

Good luck man.

silverspec

forum member
Reaction score
I plan on getting in touch with Vortech first thing in the morning. Any ideas on what a rebuild or repair might cost? I'm hoping not much more than $1000.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Is it self contained? If it is, drain the fluid and inspect it. Maybe it all drained out? If it's not, you don't want that bad bearing crap running through your engine oil, so don't run it any more than you have.

But yes, it sounds like a bearing failure on the main drive bearing (belt too tight?).

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A bearing job will be about $350. You should also give serious thought to having the seals replaced at the same time, another $350 or so. And +1 what Lightblade said about upgrading the impeller to the Si trim... I like mine.

silverspec

forum member
Reaction score
I did see some oil around the casing after inspecting things a little closer. Got it inspected at a local shop and they are fairly certain it's the bearings and/or seals.
How much did it run to upgrade the impeller to the Si trim? Will be calling Vortech first thing Monday morning.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It was not cheap but Vortech gave me a credit toward the rebuild for the upgrade when I did mine last year; to upgrade from to the Si trim and have everything inspected/repaired/replaced it was $1420.93 shipped from Vortech in CA.

Found the receipt; upgrade was $2392 and they gave me a discount/core charge of $1000.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Info I received from Vortech when I asked what was the difference between the S and Si trim:

V-2 Si-Trim 52000 RPM 22 PSI 1150 CFM 775 HP 78%
V-2 S-Trim 50000 RPM 20 PSI 1000 CFM 680 HP 72%

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What did they say when you called?

I am kicking around the idea of upgrading to a YSI, if you are interested in buying my Si trim so you don't have any down time let me know.

silverspec

forum member
Reaction score
They said I would have to ship it to them. They will assess the scope of the repairs once they have it. It's getting shipped today.
PM what you're wanting for the Si trim

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
my idler pulley bearing went bad on mine and sounded AWFUL. i was taking it apart and after i got the belt off the tensioner i started turning things by hand and the idler pulley was very rough and notchy feeling. replaced it and went back to being quiet...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back