W3bb3r04 build thread

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Hey, those look familiar! I have the Manley flat tops in my current engine...granted they are only .020 over. What I like about the Manley ones is their spec is for tighter clearance so there is less chance of cold startup piston slap noise. I have zero noise on mine when I start it.

How low do they go with the side skirt coating? At least one piston manufacturer says .0015 with 2618 and a skirt coating. Can't remember if it's Manley or not.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
I just got a chubby
duvyremu.jpg

america-boner.gif

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
How low do they go with the side skirt coating? At least one piston manufacturer says .0015 with 2618 and a skirt coating. Can't remember if it's Manley or not.

We just went off their tech page... .003

I believe diamond wanted .004-.005 in my last aluminum block engine and those had a fair amount of piston slap at startup.

http://www.manleyperformance.com/dl/tech/piston.pdf

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
We just went off their tech page... .003

I believe diamond wanted .004-.005 in my last aluminum block engine and those had a fair amount of piston slap at startup.

http://www.manleyperformance.com/dl/tech/piston.pdf

My Diamonds have .003" for a 3.7" bore. I have no cold motor noise. IIRC they speced .0035" for na and more for boosted. So far the 2618 pistons haven't been bad at all. I let the motor warm up to 80 degrees indicated coolant temp before driving.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Any updates RJ?

Nothing major right now. I dropped the pistons off last week but havent heard anything from the machine shop. Im thinking of buying some different heads too so I can make sure theres no chance of any sand getting back into the motor. Also the cam caps are worn some

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I got a call from the machine shop yesterday to let me know that the engine work is done. I will probably pick it up the end of this week or the beginning of next week. Any body have input on if they think I can clean the heads enough or if I should just buy some.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
So a little update. It's probably going to be awhile til the car is up and running. I just pulled the heads apart to see how everything looked and they are trashed
4ezy3y3a.jpg

ebugunem.jpg

ma4uvu3u.jpg

3y4umapy.jpg

na6y5ezy.jpg

Note the sand in the pcv line
pe4u6ehe.jpg

Also need opinions on using a head with this gouge in it. The lash adjuster area Is smooth. 1 of the followers locked up on this one head. I can get them both for $100. Only damage is this shown. I figure the good head alone is worth that.
ysuqety2.jpg

Last edited:

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I have another question as well. I have the oppertunity to get a free 8 bolt forged crank to use on the motor. The stock crank I have is already turned .020 and I have bearings to match. I can either have one rod bearing journal welded and polished to factory spec and buy new bearings, or I can turn the forged crank to match my bearings and run that. Is there any loss of structural integrity when turning a crank .020 and would it be worth it to go ahead and make the switch to the 8 bolt forged crank versus the cast crank on a 700 whp build? Thanks!

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
RJ, do you think you are going to stop at 700? Things you have to consider, how much more will it cost you to add the free crank(since you are doing a budget build), do you really want to buy a 8 bolt flywheel, etc. I personally am happy I picked up a cheap forged crank. If you don't put it in pick it up and sell it to a forum member here looking to do a build.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I'm with Jason on this one. It depends how much you have left in your budget if you are willing to buy the other peripherals required for the 8-bolt crank.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
RJ, do you think you are going to stop at 700? Things you have to consider, how much more will it cost you to add the free crank(since you are doing a budget build), do you really want to buy a 8 bolt flywheel, etc. I personally am happy I picked up a cheap forged crank. If you don't put it in pick it up and sell it to a forum member here looking to do a build.

I'm with Jason on this one. It depends how much you have left in your budget if you are willing to buy the other peripherals required for the 8-bolt crank.

I don't think it will cost me much to do a flywheel and stuff or get the crank done but I don't think I'll go back over 700. I want to keep it reliable. I am also going to be purchasing the S&H stealth single kit and sell my current kit to a buddy so that will help with the power too. I'm planning on 15 psi. And maybe bump to 18 on the dyno just for numbers. I just don't know if there will be any return on the extra money spent or if it would just be a good piece of mind to have a forged crank.

Last edited:

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I talked to Bruce and he thinks I should just roll with the stock one since I already have the rotating assembly balanced and they would have to redo that again too

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back