W3bb3r04's Coyote Swap Build Thread

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
So I have decided to go a new direction with the car since all of the issues I have been having.

Here is a rundown of the plans so far:
F150 Coyote Motor <60k miles (don't have exact motor yet)
Mustang Intake Cams
Boss Intake Manifold
JLT Cold Air Intake
Long tube headers and offroad x pipe
FRPP Control Pack
Power By the Hour Accessory Drive Kit (so I can keep the Power steering and AC)
Ford oil cooler lines
Downsize fuel system- still regulated return (Walbro drop in Hat with 465 pump, regulator, factory 5.0 rails and injectors, inline filter, etc)
Get Mcleod RST rebuilt
New low mile 3650 or get new input shaft bearing replaced

Goals:
My goal for the new build is to have a reliable 425+ whp car that I can drive anywhere and don't have to worry about being down 50%+ out of the year. I have missed being able to go to all the local car meets during the summer and have even missed out on some bigger shows since my car was down. I plan to have it done by the beginning of the car show season (Mid to late March).

Down the Road:
Eventually, I would like to get an Nitrous Outlet plate kit or even a direct port kit with the Boss Intake Manifold. I think a 150 shot will get me around or a little above 600 whp and should still be very reliable since the motor doesn't see additional pressure except when spraying.

I have such an attachment to the car that I don't want to sell it but this is the best option for me to still have interest in the car and be able to enjoy it the way I want to.

Since the car is already sitting with the heads off I guess you can say the teardown has already begun. I am going to try and have the short block and transmission out by the end of the week. Keep and eye out for the for sale thread I will be posting. A buddy of mine is already buying the turbo kit and fuel system but I will be posting everything else up for sale.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Here's some pics of how the car is sitting now
a326dd6657731c23aa5b4e30442a3636.jpg

0fe86f51047162818ac7765bc0560e05.jpg

723b0cab039f939a2b605bb00205ed1d.jpg

I also have a sale pending on the Forgestars. I will be purchasing gloss black SVE Drag wheels 17/15 combo after those are sold.

If anyone has any tips for the swap that would be appreciated. I know Lito has done a swap before but I only have a few questions as of now that anyone can but in and answer.

I know you have to wire up the gauges somehow. Any specifics on what needs to be done here?

If I expand the front of my cat back size up to 2.75" will it butt right up with a coyote long tube combo?

I'll post up progress and questions as I go

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Ever think of just putting an FRPP Whipple with the Whipple tune on? Very reliable and driveable. A swap seems fairly extreme when compared to your options. Not everyone has issues with a higher hp 3v.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Ever think of just putting an FRPP Whipple with the Whipple tune on? Very reliable and driveable. A swap seems fairly extreme when compared to your options. Not everyone has issues with a higher hp 3v.

I have thought about it but with the amount of work/money to swap everything back to a whipple set up would cost more than the 5.0 swap. All of my issues this time around has been part failure, some of which has been replaced on the first time I built the motor. Im going to have to pull this motor to check the bearings/oil pump anyways and at that point I may as well do what I want with it.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I am very very sorry to hear buddy! I hope this build goes well and I'm excited for what can be done with it!

Yuslowgt

Reaction score
You are the man, I'm sub'd I wanna do this to mine. You getting the one built for boost already?

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
05-09 styling + coyote motor = winning

I pondered about doing the same thing with my 06, sometimes I still think about what it would have been like. Props to you for going through with it! I look forward to your build and the end result.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Glad to see another swap happing. I'm on the fence myself as to what to do as far as motor upgrade/swap.

Seems like for the HP it takes to play these days a 3V upgrade doesn't always hold together as well as swap and 5.0 upgrade.

"Subd"

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good luck, seems like a costly swap when you can put in a stock 3v motor and get your goal of 425rwhp at 5-6psi.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad to see another swap happing. I'm on the fence myself as to what to do as far as motor upgrade/swap.

Seems like for the HP it takes to play these days a 3V upgrade doesn't always hold together as well as swap and 5.0 upgrade.

"Subd"

You have to put more money into the coyote motor itself and just the swap to support the same power a built 3v can make. I don't see the value. Grass isn't always greener. Everyone has issues with motor builds regardless of what motor it is. You can build a motor and it last 10 years without skipping a beat or have it go up in smoke on the dyno for no apparent reason.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
You have to put more money into the coyote motor itself and just the swap to support the same power a built 3v can make. I don't see the value. Grass isn't always greener. Everyone has issues with motor builds regardless of what motor it is. You can build a motor and it last 10 years without skipping a beat or have it go up in smoke on the dyno for no apparent reason.

I total agree with you man. :beerchug2:

The 5.0 swap is a bit of a cool factor also.

But would not a built 5.0 always out preform a built 4.6 when you get into the higher HP range?

Sorry not trying to derail this thread!

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score

I total agree with you man. :beerchug2:

The 5.0 swap is a bit of a cool factor also.

But would not a built 5.0 always out preform a built 4.6 when you get into the higher HP range?

Sorry not trying to derail this thread!
Thanks guys. I really have thought about another option too... I haven't purchased any coyote stuff yet so I'm not locked in but you guys can let me know what you think about this...

Other option is to put in a used 3v longblock and add some bolt ons (possibly cams) and add some low boost down the road. If I go this route though I would be putting Airlift on the car this winter! It would allow me to keep the clean wire tuck with the engine still add the airlift! This option is a little cheaper from stuff I can add up off the top of my head.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Stock coyote block is good for 600-700hp with out block modifications. A stock 3v block will support 1200hp+ without block modifications. So if your just dropping in forged rods and pistons and a billet oil pump. Which one has more potential and bang for your buck?

Power to weight is all relative when modding. A built 2v will run times and trap with a 3v 4v. Now stock for stock na obviously the 5.0L 4v will have more potential. When a forged motor and boost is in the mix its anyones game.

If you want a better base platform not just block strength get a 2011 and you got a car you can safely run 600rwhp in if that's all you want. That's more cost effectively than these swap's I see. Although it is a cool factor of course like you mentioned.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Have you thought about a Big Bore 3v? Bolt in with good power while na. I made 437/389 with mine on e85. How much are coyote motors making na? It's ready for whatever I want to throw at it. Like mentioned a coyote motor won't hold the power a 4.6 block will.

It's your money and time. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I'm wondering about your pistons. They didn't have valve reliefs so the deck height and cam lift become very important to prevent ptv contact. What was the deck height and what cams were used with it?

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about a Big Bore 3v? Bolt in with good power while na. I made 437/389 with mine on e85. How much are coyote motors making na? It's ready for whatever I want to throw at it. Like mentioned a coyote motor won't hold the power a 4.6 block will.

It's your money and time. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I'm wondering about your pistons. They didn't have valve reliefs so the deck height and cam lift become very important to prevent ptv contact. What was the deck height and what cams were used with it?
I have thought about it. Depending on what the bottom end of this one looks like I may just reuse it in NA form. I would think it could make 360+ whp with the compression.

I'm not sure on the deck height but cam lift is only .480. Where I had contact was on the side where the timing chain slack was. I should have this motor pulled in about 15 min. I'll update with whatever info I find.
72a9b54306420378cc8ce84558eb6c3c.jpg

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I just reread your multi build thread. Low lift turbo cams with lots of duration and Manley flat tops.

I really feel bad for you after rereading all the issues you had getting to this point.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Are you saying there was or was not any reason for PTV contact Bruce?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back