Wanna boost an 05 Gt Daily Driver but have some questions

Mustang Jake

Reaction score
Are there any other options besides rebuilding or buying a new 5r55s? Would any other used tranny’s be a better option? I’m a student so money is a valuable thing hahaha

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I drove mine for years on the street with 490rwhp, just stay out of the gas unless you want to smoke the tires and the car will drive almost like stock.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
Leave the car alone it is your daily which I assume gets at least 10k in miles a year- your a student finish school- the car is 13 years old with a 120k and increasing every day. Save your money for the next two years and buy a newer coyote platform- Why do you want to sink 7-10k into a car that is worth 5500 and decreasing daily- All cars depreciate if your going to throw a large chunk at something you should start with a better base. This is my opinion

Mustang Jake

Reaction score
Understand, but I finish school within the year, I landed a job within my degree field that will pay for my masters degree and I had a full ride scholarship so I have virtually no debt. I love my car and have enjoyed every second of the Mustang community and am just trying to make it a more enjoyable car. But I appreciate y’all looking out for me

46addict

Reaction score
Leave the car alone it is your daily which I assume gets at least 10k in miles a year- your a student finish school- the car is 13 years old with a 120k and increasing every day. Save your money for the next two years and buy a newer coyote platform- Why do you want to sink 7-10k into a car that is worth 5500 and decreasing daily- All cars depreciate if your going to throw a large chunk at something you should start with a better base. This is my opinion
Or buy something that is already built so you don't have to take the initial hit. Since mods do not add value to the car it would benefit you as the buyer.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
As someone who was once in your shoes, wait. I blew 20k on upgrading my car in college and while it was fun at the time, economically it wasn't worth it. I spent the first year and a half in the work force putting all my extra cash towards paying off my debt and now live the debt free life, minus my mortgage, at 27 years old. Financial freedom is amazing and allows you to throw what you want at your hobbies and not worry about it. Seriously consider it.

Aerofinz

Reaction score
Do you have any supporting suspension and braking upgrades? That's what will help keep the car a safer daily driver. As a side note, I agree with others that have suggested it's not worth the money.

Last edited:

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
If it makes you happy and you know you will not regret it or ever say goodbye to it then do what you please.

This is what I am doing with my 3v. I love the thing to death and love driving it as well as the wife. It's one of my babies aside from the wife and 2 boys. It's my daily cause I don't want to drive anything else from day to day, it's too enjoyable for me. I have had mine since stock from the original owner and have added ever mod so far. Yes I wish I saved and went right to a vortech lol. But I didn't. OH well, I'll be there sometime.

But just so you know your car can make 480-500rwhp but that doesn't matter. It "can" make it but that will be 5500rpm and above. If you are making that power it will live forever as long as you aren't smacking the redline. If you like to pull to 6000-6500 then have it make 450ish to be on the safe side and the tq is what really stresses it. If you make 450rwhp and tq is at 400-430 you'll be perfect and have no worries.

The life if the car is truly up to you and how you treat it in all aspects. But check out a dyno chart and you'll see where that bottom end harmful power is made. Normal daily driving you'll really only use like 200-300hp maybe. Also it's at WOT where you make all the power. I rarely ever got WOT and when having fun I pull to 3-4k but not WOT while daily driving. Only time I do is when I "need" to and I'm pulling out and "need" to get up to speed but i'm still shifting at 5000-5500rpm.

Aerofinz

Reaction score
An auto, IMO, is impossible NOT to live on the redline. Mash and go. Mash to pass. Immediate 1-3 gear down shifts, instant redline.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Hahaha not sure why I thought he was looking at centri and was 5 speed. Still same concept. You control the life of the car.

PonyBoy

Reaction score
I've got an STS remote install twin turbo kit to put on my 2010 GT with 65k on the car. Putting on a ford Racing intake manifold, with plate adapter to use a big 5.0 Ford Racing mono-blade throttle body. Also have BBK shorties, high flow cats, racing fuel pump, fuel rails. I'm not planning on going crazy with the boost - not yet. Any words of advive besides suspension and clutch to handle the power? I've been told CAMs are not necessary or worth it. I am considering all cast internals if I'm going to crank up the boost.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
FYI if you want to crank up boost you want forged.

But you want the fuel system that can handle the power and on the stock internals keep the power in the 450 range or you'll be playing knock knock who's there

Aerofinz

Reaction score
Hahaha not sure why I thought he was looking at centri and was 5 speed. Still same concept. You control the life of the car.

I agree with the centri and a manual. I have/had Vortech's on two 4.6's and 90++% of the time, the boost barely breaks over 5psi, with a manual. I'm guessing the only time mine have been 9-10psi and redlined were during dyno tunes.

My factory Lightning, on the other hand, was the opposite. Immediate full-on boost, full-on redline with an auto. And a factory warranty, lol.

Thinking back to my college days, yea, I'm not seeing a college "kid" putting that much money in a car and not having fun with it. My vote, BIG mistake to dump that much cash into an aging/higher mileage car, more so with an auto. The two just don't go together.

He'll be back in 2 months asking for ideas to rebuild his grenaded block. Or trans. Or both. No offense! Just saying. Concentrate on your degree, a job and then go buy a low mileage GT500 for lower $20's that also has the supporting suspension/braking/safety features to go fast and not break.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You sound like a young fellowwho doesn't know what he's getting into: in life, in his career, and in building a fast car. (That was not meant as an insult; please don't take it as one.)

I've been exactly where you are right now, with a job lined up, the dreams of "earning real money" in my head, and a turbocharged car that I could start dumping that money into.

Don't.

Real life outside of college costs more than you think it does, and unless you already know what you're getting into with the forced induction thing (and based on your questions, you don't), you need to step away for a while, figure things out, and then get a second car: either a DD so you can play with the Mustang or another platform and use the Mustang as a DD.

Listen to us "old guys." We've been around the block a few times.

Mustang Jake

Reaction score
Yeah, I think I’m gonna throw some gears in the rear end and dress it up a little and call it done. I really appreciate y’all being real and honest with me!

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I’m gonna throw some gears in the rear end and dress it up a little and call it done. I really appreciate y’all being real and honest with me!
Most overlooked bang for the buck improvement you can make. Go to 4.10s and never look back. The best advice you can give a guy who is building his first hotrod is to start from the back. Gears then converter THEN power.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

You da man.

I wish someone had told me, when I was a senior in college, that saving up money from a summer job and paying someone to do a half-assed engine swap was not a good idea.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back