Weighing the options...

dcm2010

Reaction score
I know I don't post here often, but I do try to read and learn as much as possible. I bought my 2010 GT last year, I simply got the 2010 because I couldn't get into a new 5.0 at the time.

I finally have time off and the money to either turn the car into a 10 second performer or put a decent down payment on a new 5.0 and throw a few modifications on it. I don't really have much experience with modular motors or Mustangs. All of my background is LSX based.

I would like to hear some opinions. I am wanting to run 10s, is it cheaper to keep the 2010 and do this, or buy the 5.0? Also consider I only have about 9 grand left to pay on the 2010.

Any thoughts?

PS- Please excuse that I'm a :newbie:

Last edited:

nasty281

MODIFIED STANG
Reaction score
I'd take the 5.0 b/c it has more potential out the gate. You can make the 3v run 10s on your budget but I doubt your bottom end could handle the abuse for long unless you go with a forged short block but your talking some dough. These 5.0s can get into the 10s with bolt ons snd sticky tires. The only 3v stangs I know running 10s on on low boost have serious suspension setups and weight reduction

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you're not tied to the car then go with the 5.0. The ONLY reason I have kept my 4.6 is because it's a Bullitt and I don't want a plain Jane Mustang.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
5.0 + cat delete + tune + 100 shot = 10's

sooo under $1500 your in 10's...the 2010 is goin to need more than that...+you get to start off with lower miles :D

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
this topic has been discussed in one way or the other a few times.

go 5.0

use the search to seek out other discussions on the topic

dcm2010

Reaction score
Well I just got back from test driving a 2013 5.0 auto. I have to say that I loved it. I have driven an M6 before but it was last year. I'll be going with a base model with an automatic, I love standards but they are hard on a bad shoulder. Plus Lafayette traffic really sucks with a standard.

We haven't finalized anything because I'll be going offshore for a month or better tomorrow. I'm hoping with the x-plan I can land the car around 26-27k. Would this be too much for a new base model GT? X-plan included.

Also thanks for the suggestions, and tips. I'll be buying one when I get back home.

Last edited:

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
$27k is a good price for a base GT with auto. If you're able to get it for that or a little less, you're doing well.

You're gonna love it. :highfive:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 2013 in Jan I got it for $30K OTD; base model, automatic and the sync package...with the 14's being out you should be able to get a 13 in the price range you indicated.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
If the 4.6 is paid for and you do the work itll be cheaper to get 10s. Otherwise it gets more debatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

dcm2010

Reaction score
The 4.6 isn't paid for, I still owe about $9,000 on it.

I'm going to try to find one with SYNC but it isn't a have to have item for me.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Since your not attached to your car, go 5.0.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back