What are these things?

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I saw these things on a guy's S197 a few years ago, but didn't get a chance to ask him what they did or why he had them. It was a Saleen and sounded pretty mean.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? And I'm talking about the horn looking devices on top of the motor for clarification.

Thanks!

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
Those are independent throttle bodies. One for each cylinder. Its a pain to set up the first time and you have to run a stand alone. But you will never have better throttle response than with a setup like this. Also, it looks just plain awesome.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those are independent throttle bodies. One for each cylinder. Its a pain to set up the first time and you have to run a stand alone. But you will never have better throttle response than with a setup like this. Also, it looks just plain awesome.

Is there anyway to keep water out of the engine or do you just not drive in the rain?

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
You know, ive never really thought about that. Ive seen them for many years on cars but never thought if theres no breathers on them and water is able to get to them, what it would do. We need SD or someone who has problem had them on there older cars at some point. ITB are cool as hell though.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
Is there anyway to keep water out of the engine or do you just not drive in the rain?

They make filters that cover them, or else you wouldn't have an air filter. What kind of Saleen? It would have had to have been a carb set up unless it had a box surrounding it for the MAF. VERY expensive set ups.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They make filters that cover them, or else you wouldn't have an air filter. What kind of Saleen? It would have had to have been a carb set up unless it had a box surrounding it for the MAF. VERY expensive set ups.

I'm not sure what kind of Saleen it was. He had the seats, body kit, badges, etc. Could have been a replica; who knows. This guy looked like he had some coin, but I don't know. He was at a taco shop when I saw him.

Rich folks gotta eat too I guess.

Last edited:

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't believe it is any more of a pain than setting up any other manifold with a stand-alone. This system (Hilborn Style) is more than likely made by Kinsler.

http://www.kinsler.com/page--Ford--16.html

http://www.kinsler.com/Cat_31_Web_HTMLs/0201234_screen13.html

Liberty911

forum member
Reaction score
Look like carbs w/ velocity stacks to me. That is in a 65 Stang. Too much rain in the velocity stack will drown the motor. Ever get water in your gas?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Looks cool for sure, but seems more of a show piece than a daily driver.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back