what are your thoughts on the 2011 aluminum block?

SLOPONY

Gotta love Stangs
Reaction score
Just read a write up about the 2011 shelby, and its new aluminum block. Its got no steel sleeves, just a "Coating" thats.150" thick. no steel sleeves.

I am wondering if its going to be any good....

KenB

forum member
Reaction score
Should be better than any other aluminum block out there.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the same technology is used on the new nissan gtr

thats because nissan leased the technology from ford. nice to know nissan had to use ford tech to make the car

KenB

forum member
Reaction score
im just wondering about higher boost and 700+ RWHp that the 2010's easily make

The ford engineer said it will hold as much or more than the current iron block.

KenB

forum member
Reaction score
How does it stack up the aluminator?

Aluminator is the term for the shortblock. We are just talking about the new engine block on the shelby.

But if you are asking for the differences between the block used in the aluminator and th GT500, they are very different.

The big hype about the new block is it doesn't use liners which can be very beneficial in many ways. Should make it stronger. The block itself is probably stronger too and it's a 5.4 not a 4.6 like the aluminator block.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Aluminator is the term for the shortblock. We are just talking about the new engine block on the shelby.

But if you are asking for the differences between the block used in the aluminator and th GT500, they are very different.

The big hype about the new block is it doesn't use liners which can be very beneficial in many ways. Should make it stronger. The block itself is probably stronger too and it's a 5.4 not a 4.6 like the aluminator block.
The aluminator is a block. It's a the latest 4.6L aluminum block. An "Aluminator" is an engine (short/long/crate) based off the "Aluminator" block.

You can order a bare Aluminator block through Ford Racing for DIRT cheap right now. It's offered in n/a (knock sensor bosses), or supercharged (no knock sensor bosses).

KenB

forum member
Reaction score
The aluminator is a block. It's a the latest 4.6L aluminum block. An "Aluminator" is an engine (short/long/crate) based off the "Aluminator" block.

You can order a bare Aluminator block through Ford Racing for DIRT cheap right now. It's offered in n/a (knock sensor bosses), or supercharged (no knock sensor bosses).

Well I guess they are calling the block an aluminator but it's not all that much different than previous aluminum 4.6L blocks. When someone says aluminator everytime they call here, they are always talking about a long or shortblock. When someone needs an aluminum block, they order an aluminum block. That's what I was meaning.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the same technology is used on the new nissan gtr

thats because nissan leased the technology from ford. nice to know nissan had to use ford tech to make the car

It's not really new technology. If you have ever owned a 2-stroke dirtbike, it's relatively the same concept. Though, it is different from the "Nikasil," in that it is not electro-deposited on to the part. The process that is used to coat the liners into the aluminum block is similar to the one in the first link, but uses the a plasma arc instead of oxy/acetlylene fuel in the second link.

http://www.fusionhouston.com/prodserv_combust_wire.htm

http://www.fusionhouston.com/prodserv_plasma.htm

It is really pretty interesting; I do quite a bit of business with the shop in the links and so I am fairly familiar with the processes.

As I can see, there really is no downside to this process. Theoretically, any damage to the cylinder in a sleeved engine would generally require an overbore or a new sleeve anyway. Here, you can repair the damaged bore(s) as needed. I like it.

let me rephrase, how does it stack up against the current Ford GT aluminum 5.4 block?

Basically, it will be just as strong and the cylinders should dissipate heat more efficiently.

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score
Well I guess they are calling the block an aluminator but it's not all that much different than previous aluminum 4.6L blocks. When someone says aluminator everytime they call here, they are always talking about a long or shortblock. When someone needs an aluminum block, they order an aluminum block. That's what I was meaning.

+1 on calling "aluminator" the short/long block not just the bare block.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's not really new technology. If you have ever owned a 2-stroke dirtbike, it's relatively the same concept. Though, it is different from the "Nikasil," in that it is not electro-deposited on to the part. The process that is used to coat the liners into the aluminum block is similar to the one in the first link, but uses the a plasma arc instead of oxy/acetlylene fuel in the second link.

http://www.fusionhouston.com/prodserv_combust_wire.htm

http://www.fusionhouston.com/prodserv_plasma.htm

It is really pretty interesting; I do quite a bit of business with the shop in the links and so I am fairly familiar with the processes.

As I can see, there really is no downside to this process. Theoretically, any damage to the cylinder in a sleeved engine would generally require an overbore or a new sleeve anyway. Here, you can repair the damaged bore(s) as needed. I like it.

Basically, it will be just as strong and the cylinders should dissipate heat more efficiently.

I think this is the same thing as "metal spray" which has been around at least 30 years. It is generally used to to repair bearing fits. Instead of welding over a damaged area, you turn it down (on a lathe) .02 to the side. then it is metal sprayed to build it back up to approx .04 over sized and then turned back down to the proper diameter. takes a hell of a lot less time than welding and you don't have to worry about shaft warpage. I gues they have come up with a way to spray an I.D.........also metal spray used to be kind of porus. Guess they fixed that too.

blade

forum member
Reaction score
Just read a write up about the 2011 shelby, and its new aluminum block. Its got no steel sleeves, just a "Coating" thats.150" thick. no steel sleeves.

I am wondering if its going to be any good....
nice step from FORD finally but i was really disappointed,i was really hoping for bigger cub in than 5.4L (it been there for a while now) at least 5.8 will be fine with HP around 580 -600 ,the car then will be a beast just right from the show room ,just think about it for a while
1)no chevy can keep up with you any more
2)low 11s ride
3)FORD i will be taking over the market from chevy and doge
4)with some modification you will have 700whp ride
FORD engineer can simply do that if they really want it but they are insisting on same engine cub 5.4l

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
nice step from FORD finally but i was really disappointed,i was really hoping for bigger cub in than 5.4L (it been there for a while now) at least 5.8 will be fine with HP around 580 -600 ,the car then will be a beast just right from the show room ,just think about it for a while
1)no chevy can keep up with you any more
2)low 11s ride
3)FORD i will be taking over the market from chevy and doge
4)with some modification you will have 700whp ride
FORD engineer can simply do that if they really want it but they are insisting on same engine cub 5.4l

How were you disappointed? It's lighter, it makes more hp, it handles better, it get's better mileage, it's more efficient...Well, I think you get the point.

I don't think you're considering all the things that need to be in place to have a 600 hp car from the factory. We're pretty much there already, with less displacement. Why would they go with more gas guzzling cubes when they're getting the job done with less already? They have emissions standards to stick to, they have fuel mileage to keep in mind (they were able to eliminate the gas guzzler tax ($1000) this year which is awesome.

When it comes to the Mustang, Ford already owns the market. Also, remember they need to keep things in the bag for upcoming models. 2012 will have something else, or something more to make it better.

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score

Can you provide me a link to that information? I knew Ford and Mazda had a partnership, but didn't know about the Nissan relationship on sharing engine designs and technology. Thanks.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back