what are your thoughts on the 2011 aluminum block?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
This is my favorite part from that link:

Wondering about durability? We did, too. Ford claims to have taken taken beat-to-hell durability-cycle engines with the equivalent of 250,000 miles of wear and, upon inspection, discovered that the initial hone patterns appeared brand-new — the piston rings hadn't polished them away. That freakishness is due in large part to Weustite's molecular qualities. Its crystalline structure, in conjunction with microporosity created by the layering process, acts as an oil sponge, allowing pistons to slide smoothly while reducing oil consumption

Knowing what Ford puts these engines through during their testing, this is a big deal.

blade

forum member
Reaction score
How were you disappointed? It's lighter, it makes more hp, it handles better, it get's better mileage, it's more efficient...Well, I think you get the point.

I don't think you're considering all the things that need to be in place to have a 600 hp car from the factory. We're pretty much there already, with less displacement. Why would they go with more gas guzzling cubes when they're getting the job done with less already? They have emissions standards to stick to, they have fuel mileage to keep in mind (they were able to eliminate the gas guzzler tax ($1000) this year which is awesome.

When it comes to the Mustang, Ford already owns the market. Also, remember they need to keep things in the bag for upcoming models. 2012 will have something else, or something more to make it better.
man i am mustang fan to the bone but i really want this company to best .i used to own 94GT and 00GT I will never forget losing to LT1 and LS1 chevy and do you know why because lack of HP from the mustang GT on both car i had i will never forget either losing to 92GT mustang when i had my 94GT back then(same hp and more weight)even the new stock 3v can not keep up with an m6 camaro and the camaro been there since 99 or 00
go check motor trend article about the 07 GT500 stock from the factory ,the car can barely keep up with m6 c6(no wonder people still like 03 cobra)500hp with 2tons (pavement cracker).my friend some people can not buy an after market racing part or they do not like them ,they want a fast car from the show room
anyway i hope that 2012 will be a good year for FORD

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i used to own 94GT and 00GT I will never forget losing to LT1 and LS1 chevy and do you know why because lack of HP from the mustang GT

I speak from experience whe I say, the new Chevrolets are not cars that you or anyone else will own forever. Simply put, they are cheaply made, disposable automobiles. I will bet that your old cars are still on the road and those cars that beat you, have been in a junkyard for sometime now. See, you do win in the long run.

nice step from FORD finally but i was really disappointed,i was really hoping for bigger cub in than 5.4L (it been there for a while now)

The nice step was putting the 5.4L DOHC, that we all saw first in the Navigator, in a Mustang. This happened in 2000 with the R model. Then they placed it in a production Mustang with a blower in 2007, the Shelby. It was a slow move and I wish they had introduced it in 2005, but you can't win them all.

I like cubes as much as anyone else, but the small Ford modulars with FI are where Mustangs kill the others with drivability. The Mustangs, get killer fuel economy, and IMO are more reliable, hands down. Try camming a new LS3 engine (removing the DOD), adding a blower and see where your MPG is. Also, with the small bore spacing and an enormous stroke already, how would they add more cubes? They could have done a big-bore, but the additional labor probably would have driven the cost higher and may have required a new or more expensive casting. I think everyone knew that the Shelby would get a derivative of the GT's aluminum block eventually and are more than happy with that. These are the cars I dreamed of when I bought my first 4.6L (a 1996 Mystic Cobra) in 1997. I have no complaints, nor am I in any way disappointed. GO FORD!

Thanks! I found the threads. Very cool for Ford! Great to see an American manufacturer leading the way in this type of technology.

They have been "leading the way," for some time now.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/138_0402_boss_351_v10_mustang/engine.html

Does anyone remember this car?

Last edited:

blade

forum member
Reaction score
I speak from experience whe I say, the new Chevrolets are not cars that you or anyone else will own forever. Simply put, they are cheaply made, disposable automobiles. I will bet that your old cars are still on the road and those cars that beat you, have been in a junkyard for sometime now. See, you do win in the long run.

The nice step was putting the 5.4L DOHC, that we all saw first in the Navigator, in a Mustang. This happened in 2000 with the R model. Then they placed it in a production Mustang with a blower in 2007, the Shelby. It was a slow move and I wish they had introduced it in 2005, but you can't win them all.

I like cubes as much as anyone else, but the small Ford modulars with FI are where Mustangs kill the others with drivability. The Mustangs, get killer fuel economy, and IMO are more reliable, hands down. Try camming a new LS3 engine (removing the DOD), adding a blower and see where your MPG is. Also, with the small bore spacing and an enormous stroke already, how would they add more cubes? They could have done a big-bore, but the additional labor probably would have driven the cost higher and may have required a new or more expensive casting. I think everyone knew that the Shelby would get a derivative of the GT's aluminum block eventually and are more than happy with that. These are the cars I dreamed of when I bought my first 4.6L (a 1996 Mystic Cobra) in 1997. I have no complaints, nor am I in any way disappointed. GO FORD!

They have been "leading the way," for some time now.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/138_0402_boss_351_v10_mustang/engine.html

Does anyone remember this car?
ford should come up with a new different engine and new super car or return the FORD GT (i love this car) again with different looking and horse power , i would say 700hp

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
ford should come up with a new different engine and new super car or return the FORD GT (i love this car) again with different looking and horse power , i would say 700hp
LOL, maybe you missed the new 5.0L? Or the new aluminum block 5.4L that makes 550 hp in a car that's, again, better, lighter, faster. I think you're missing those KEY elements.

Ford needs to sell cars and make money. Did you know they lost money on every Ford GT they sold? Not a good business plan, but it sure got people looking at Ford in a different way.

Again, Ford needs to sell cars, and make money. To do that they have to walk the fine line of giving us what we want, but building it within a certain financial budget so they can still sell them for a reasonable amount. I have no doubt they could build us a 3300 lb 700 hp mustang, but it would probably cost well over $80k, and they'd have a hard time selling them in the volume they need to sell them to make money.

So while we'd all LOVE Ford to build our dream car, they have to draw the line somewhere. A 400 hp 4V Mustang GT, and a 550 hp 5.4 GT500 should be pretty satisfying. The fastest and most powerful production mustangs built to date.

Still not sure why you're disappointed. Sorry you got beat by all those cars 15 years ago, but times have changed. As for your mention of the '03 Cobra... Have you ever driven a bone stock one? They're not exactly rocket ships in stock trim, but they didn't have to be, as there was no competition at that time, but was still considerably faster than any of the prior mustangs.

Last edited:

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Me too, but I couldn't afford it anyway so it's kind of a moot point. Get a Shelby, a whipple, and a few bolt-ons... 700hp.

Last edited:

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
!

These are exciting times. I can't imagine why anyone would be disappointed in a 412 hp Mustang GT as a starting point. Back in '05 I was happy starting with 300 hp! Now I own an '06 and getting 350 hp out of my GT is a fairly common achievment with bolt-ons. While 450 hp with a blower is no problem. Now imagine where the 5.0 guys get to start with and where they can end up at! Maybe 470 hp with bolt-ons and 600+ hp blown???

Very exciting indeed...

Gerardo

blade

forum member
Reaction score
These are exciting times. I can't imagine why anyone would be disappointed in a 412 hp Mustang GT as a starting point. Back in '05 I was happy starting with 300 hp! Now I own an '06 and getting 350 hp out of my GT is a fairly common achievment with bolt-ons. While 450 hp with a blower is no problem. Now imagine where the 5.0 guys get to start with and where they can end up at! Maybe 470 hp with bolt-ons and 600+ hp blown???

Very exciting indeed...

Gerardo
3v was in 05 with 300hp while LS1 320HP been there since 99,so it took ford six years to come up with 300hp engine and still get beat by an LS1 engines
they should have made 3v with at lest 350hp to beat LS1 engine
i own 3v mustang and can not beat 00 camaro no matter how hard i try

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
3v was in 05 with 300hp while LS1 320HP been there since 99,so it took ford six years to come up with 300hp engine and still get beat by an LS1 engines
they should have made 3v with at lest 350hp to beat LS1 engine
i own 3v mustang and can not beat 00 camaro no matter how hard i try

Diagnosis:
You're belly aching about the past.

Cure:
Save some coin, sell your 3v, and buy the 2011 Mustang. Mopping the floor with any SS that crosses your path should alleviate any past resentment you've been injustly subjected to in the past.

Gerardo

blade

forum member
Reaction score
Diagnosis:
You're belly aching about the past.

Cure:
Save some coin, sell your 3v, and buy the 2011 Mustang. Mopping the floor with any SS that crosses your path should alleviate any past resentment you've been injustly subjected to in the past.

Gerardo
i can not get rid of 3v now ,my car is doing 700whp and i am going for more
i will definitely buy the 2011 GT500

blade

forum member
Reaction score
Based on the post earlier, I'd say no.
that was in past when first bought my 05 mustang , i wanted to know how fast is the stock 3v against other stock cars
read my post in 05 mustang GT FORUM name of the title is :HELLION T76:

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm a little bummed I didn't know about the aluminum block GT500 a month ago...I might have waited and not bought my 2010 GT500...but 10 hp isn't all that much more...how much lighter will the car be in front? 100 lbs?

My GT500 handles WAAAYY better than my 07 GT/CS did with Gt500 wheels/tires and an H&R rear sway bar. The 2011 will handle even better because of the lower front weight.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm a little bummed I didn't know about the aluminum block GT500 a month ago...I might have waited and not bought my 2010 GT500...but 10 hp isn't all that much more...how much lighter will the car be in front? 100 lbs?

My GT500 handles WAAAYY better than my 07 GT/CS did with Gt500 wheels/tires and an H&R rear sway bar. The 2011 will handle even better because of the lower front weight.

Having said that, I can't imagine needing more power...I have to be careful in 1st and 2nd gears or the rears break loose and its bye bye traction, regardles of the surface. I guess its important to remember that there will always be someone else with a faster car, a car with more HP or less weight (or both).

Last edited:

2007 GT/CS

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Reaction score
I guess its important to remember that there will always be someone else with a faster car, a car with more HP or less weight (or both).

Years ago I am sitting behind a couple of VPs in our brokerage firm watching the hockey game. The "Budweiser Girls" are on the ice doing their little cheerleading thing. Coincidentally one of these girls also works for one of the VPs.

One VP says to the other, "You do know that ditz you hired can't even answer your phone correctly, right?"

The first VP doesn't skip a beat, "Yeah, but LOOK at her." :beer:

Guys, I've decided to TOFTT on this and just order one. Black ,SVT, Electronics (*no* glass roof). Waiting for the DORA on Monday and then hopefully a VIN assignment with a few weeks. Watching some of the bullshit that members here and elsewhere have been through with some of the engine builders, tuners etc. and I decided I may personally be better suited to "buy" vs. "make" in terms of the possible aggravation.

That's not to say there won't be some upgrades....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back