What have you done to your house today

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Makes sense. How does it do in the rain?

Does fine, we have copper pieces on the roof that direct water away from a door opening. Also we have in ground French drains to funnel ground water away from the house. Also both house and apartment are basically on knolls.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
My grass is barely showing a hint of green under the brown. Might be dry enough I can run the dethatcher through it.

Are you going to run your sprinkler system this summer?

Yeah i will be running it. I've got it fixed now.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
It is not steep thinking the rolled roof edge is what is driving up the price

this is a photo of our garage apartment; house is the same and roof a lot older

too many oak trees and too many leaves so we went with no gutters

I tried to research it more because I'm pretty interested. Do you know why they do a rolled edge? I tried to Google the purpose but couldn't find much. I'm going to ask my buddy who owns a big roofing company about it because I'm pretty curious now lol.

Most houses in Florida don't have gutters, unless they are added, and no one has rolled edged roofs.

I can't say I've ever seen a rolled edge roof before now.

This is only the second one I've ever seen but I've lived in Florida my whole life.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I tried to research it more because I'm pretty interested. Do you know why they do a rolled edge? I tried to Google the purpose but couldn't find much. I'm going to ask my buddy who owns a big roofing company about it because I'm pretty curious now lol.

Most houses in Florida don't have gutters, unless they are added, and no one has rolled edged roofs.

This is only the second one I've ever seen but I've lived in Florida my whole life.

We live in Asheville and the Grove Park Inn is a pretty old famous hotel and we had our reception there and wife loved(s) their roof. There are actually a couple of older other rolled roof houses in town ours is the "newest" and most modern.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Cut down 13 trees this weekend. Debranched and cut into 18" sections. Cleared and burned the cuttings and stacked the sections. Almost 4 cords once split. That will be another weekend.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Wife and I went to the New Nebraska Furniture Mart they just built in DFW. Place was awesome. Picked up a few things and then spent the day working around the house.

First I pulled out the couches I had upstairs in my game room and put in some media chairs:

Also hung this small chandelier in my entry way:

Pup up the hutch we bought last night

We also got some chairs for the dining room table we had made and got a cool centerpiece for it.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Got most of my flower beds cleaned of weeds and pine straw. Ready for some mulch. Also laid out all our outdoor furniture where the wife wants to put a paver patio to get some measurements. I'm not a big fan of the idea but there's no changing her mind. Looking like it will be a 20x14 area and yours truly gets to do the work

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got most of my flower beds cleaned of weeds and pine straw. Ready for some mulch. Also laid out all our outdoor furniture where the wife wants to put a paver patio to get some measurements. I'm not a big fan of the idea but there's no changing her mind. Looking like it will be a 20x14 area and yours truly gets to do the work

If you are not just laying out a square, pick up a chop saw and diamond tip blade. My wife wanted curves on our paver patio. I cut every paver along the edge and every paver that butted on the edge to make it look nice.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't think she cares if it curves, but I might like some curves. Depends on how fancy I feel like getting when the time comes

It is a lot of work, but looks nice when done. The tighter they are, the better it holds up. I laid these down 10 years ago. I resand them every few years.

DSCN1090%20Large_zpsuxklgw8b.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Last night I went to close the garage door that I just installed new sensors on, and it started to close then re-opened right away and blinked the light a few times, same behavior as when the eyes weren't working. Look at them and one of them's light is out. Moved the wiring around a bit and the light started flickering.

The other garage door opener stopped working from the switch in the house so now I can only open/close the door if using the remote.

So, I'm done with these Craftsman openers and am looking for 2 new units.

Any recommendations?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I have a Genie belt drive that I installed about 3 years ago. The Genies have some bad reviews but mine has been great, considering it's the cheapest of the cheap Home Depot crap. I would definitely recommend belt drive over chain drive though. It's a lot quieter and very smooth.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I have a Genie belt drive that I installed about 3 years ago. The Genies have some bad reviews but mine has been great, considering it's the cheapest of the cheap Home Depot crap. I would definitely recommend belt drive over chain drive though. It's a lot quieter and very smooth.

I've only heard about Genie not being great from sales reps for Raynor ... which makes me not wanna consider THEIR stuff once they start bad-mouthing the competition ... not the way I want somebody to sell me something ...

I saw Chamberlain, but they look just like the Craftsman ones, so it's probably who makes them for Sears ... so gonna stay away from them

Time to start checking out online reviews I guess ...

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I think mine was about $159 or so and took me an hour or two to install. I think it was the second cheapest because the cheapest only had one remote and had a smaller motor. The extra remote would have cost me more than the price difference. At that price point I willingly took a chance knowing I could replace it with another cheap unit cheaper than buying the high dollar fancy one. In this case it worked out very well.

I just checked, it's a Genie SilentMax 1000

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I think mine was about $159 or so and took me an hour or two to install. I think it was the second cheapest because the cheapest only had one remote and had a smaller motor. The extra remote would have cost me more than the price difference. At that price point I willingly took a chance knowing I could replace it with another cheap unit cheaper than buying the high dollar fancy one. In this case it worked out very well.

I just checked, it's a Genie SilentMax 1000

Liftmaster Jackshaft Opener end of story.

I'll check these out, thanks guys.

Was just looking at a $320 Marantec unit, but for that money I could do both bays with Genies, it sounds like ...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back