What have you done to your mustang today?

Miker

Reaction score
Miker

Anyone on here can tell you I'm no mechanic. But your entry about mixing the premium with the regular gas peaked my interest. When I bought my 2012 GT convertible, I read an article that said don't mix the two octanes. My car has the Coyote engine with 412 HP. The article said don't mix the two as the computer adjusted the car to run on one or the other.
I don't think that mixing octane would be a problem. It seems they would just blend and be a compromise of each because of it. I was only trying to get to where I could run the canned 91 tune on my programmer which for whatever reason was a dud. I think that tune added too much timing advance and the knock sensors were pulling it out. The car seemed very confused and at one point seemed to not pull at all. Back to the 87 tune and all is well.

crjackson

Reaction score
Mixing octane hurts exactly nothing. Mid-grade octane fuel is obtained by mixing (50/50) high-octane and low-octane right at the pump.

Unless your tune is locked down to premium grade, there’s no issue.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Installed a Ford Performance A-arm brace (standard fitment on 05-09 convertibles & 07-09 GT500 but not on 05-09 V6 or GT coupe), and I also finally finished off fabricating and installing my custom composite K-member undertray for a further reduction in aerodynamic drag.IMG_20230909_141845.jpg IMG_20230909_160124.jpg IMG_20230909_161555.jpg IMG_20230909_162455.jpg
Note the cutout for the sump to allow oil changes without removing the undertray. :D

GriffX

Reaction score
did you attach a heat shield on top? For the heat of the catalytic converters?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
did you attach a heat shield on top? For the heat of the catalytic converters?

There's plenty of space between my undertray and the cats so a heat shield isn't necessary.

My 08 GT coupe, bought new by me, had that brace.

Interesting. Is yours a Premium model? I don't know why Ford didn't just fit the brace to all 05-09 models. It's not as if it's an expensive part for Ford to penny pinch on.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Got back to checking out my BAP issues.
Removed it, took off the end plates to see what it looks like inside, and was disappointed to find just hard black goo and nothing else.
Apparently Kenne Bell covered up all the guts in that stuff, and all you see is a few wires coming out of it:

20230909_a.jpg

I found 2 iffy connections, one for the 17V wire going to the wire at the fuel pump driver module, and one at the main power wire going into the BAP.
Took them apart, re-did the connections with fresh wire and solder, heat-shrink tubing and electrical tape where needed, and also cut back, stripped and re-connected the wires for the un-used Hobbs switch and adjusting knob, since this setup is wired so the BAP is always putting out 17V.

Put it back together and tested it, and got a solid 17.09V out of it.
So there's a chance that all my fuel issues were caused by bad connections.
I'm not 100% sure of it, but at least one of the connections was pretty crappy, and it's now 100% solid.

While I was at it, I re-located the grounds for the relay and the BAP, and added a quick connect/disconnect setup for the 17V wire going to the FPDM from the BAP, so if I have to remove it in the future, I can easily unplug things and pull it.

20230909_d.jpg

In the above pic, the blue wire on the right/bottom is the upgraded power wire coming direct from the battery (with a 30A inline fuse near the battery), the thick red wire provides power to the BAP, and the black wire with the yellow connector close to the FPDM is the one providing 17.1V to the FPDM

yote0

Reaction score
Interesting. Is yours a Premium model? I don't know why Ford didn't just fit the brace to all 05-09 models. It's not as if it's an expensive part for Ford to penny pinch on.

No, it was a deluxe with one option (spoiler delete). I'd take a pic but sold the car years ago.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I don't know why Ford didn't just fit the brace to all 05-09 models. It's not as if it's an expensive part for Ford to penny pinch on.

I think that brace was one of the few chassis changes made for '07.
I remember reading that the additions made for the GT500 trickled down to the rest of the models

GriffX

Reaction score
There's plenty of space between my undertray and the cats so a heat shield isn't necessary.

When I remember correctly, from 05-07 they used it only for the convertible and for all beginning in 08.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Finished up going into rear axle & replacing both the diff carrier & pinion inner\outer bearings & races w\ Ford Performance M-4210-MB kit (Hi TQ inner pinion bearing designed to run w\o the spacer) then set up (started this work Friday afternoon).

I should've done this last year when I replaced the whining Richmond EXCEL 3.90 gears (Ford 9" pattern 3.89 ratio 9 pinion\35 ring non-hunting) w\ a set of Motive Gear F888390 3.90 gears (3.91 ratio 11 pinion\43 ring full hunting). Used Motive Gear Ford 8.8" kit when the Richmond 3.90 gears were initially installed by a local shop & had low miles, so I decided to reuse them..........

The evidence I found showed this to not have been a smart idea........even though I actually checked them over prior reuse but obviously not close enough.

Too worn out & sore (also dark......finished up just past midnight) to put car on the ground to test drive. Tested all while car was still on jack stands (had rear axle relube all bearings & checked rear axle for any undue noise while under no load operation........all good w\ no leaks, runs or errors) & let it run in gear while I was picking\cleaning up for the night.

Test drive coming in AM............

PS--Put car on the ground & test drove her this morning.........am happy to report that all this is now resolved.

Last edited:

JC SSP

Reaction score
On the KB boost a pump that gooey stuff is actually elostometer used to pot the electric connections. It’s there to protect the internals from vibration and moisture.

If it was just wires and a circuit board I would have been very disappointed in KB!

Miker

Reaction score
Installed a Ford Performance A-arm brace (standard fitment on 05-09 convertibles & 07-09 GT500 but not on 05-09 V6 or GT coupe), and I also finally finished off fabricating and installing my custom composite K-member undertray for a further reduction in aerodynamic drag.View attachment 89370 View attachment 89371 View attachment 89372 View attachment 89373
Note the cutout for the sump to allow oil changes without removing the undertray. :D
Is that plastic piece that says "remove for oil changes" in front of your new part a factory part? My 2005 does not have that.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Is that plastic piece that says "remove for oil changes" in front of your new part a factory part? My 2005 does not have that.

That engine splash shield (Ford part no. AR3Z-6C038A) was only fitted on 2010 models but it can also be retrofitted to 05-09 models. It's a simple bolt on affair and that, together with my custom K-member undertray, really cleans up the front underside of the car and reduces aerodynamic drag. The main benefit is improved highway fuel economy.

GriffX

Reaction score
That engine splash shield (Ford part no. AR3Z-6C038A) was only fitted on 2010 models but it can also be retrofitted to 05-09 models. It's a simple bolt on affair and that, together with my custom K-member undertray, really cleans up the front underside of the car and reduces aerodynamic drag. The main benefit is improved highway fuel economy.
I try to do a DIY rebuild of that shield, OEM not easy to get here. If you have the opportunity, can you make pictures of the mounting points? E.g. are there nuts in the holes above the bolts of the steering rack? How is it mounted at the K-member? Thanks!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back