What have you done to your mustang today?

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
Would have been easier to install if the hood didn't already have the other hood pins. Having already holes in the hood made it difficult to install the AeroCatch hood pins, but I finally figured it out.

Good to hear! I got rid of my first set of hood pins because they looked like ugly warts on the hood. These looked really clean and as a bonus they covered the holes from the first set of hood pins.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Been busy on mine, it all started while I was in the cell phone waiting area at the airport waiting for my wife's delayed flight. I had an hour to kill so I grabbed a microfiber out of the trunk (no, I'm not that narcissistic that I always keep one with me...just happened to be there) so I wiped down my dash and IP, vents, etc. Phase 2 started on Saturday with a wash, clay bar, Meguiar's Ultimate Polish (first time using it...actually works pretty good), and then a coat of wax. Shiny.

Today I did my spring/84,000 mile tune-up, and I'd guess it was long overdue judging from the results.
--cleaned the TB (I was surprised how much gunk it accumulated after only 10k since the last cleaning)
--cleaned the MAF sensor
--New spark plugs. My dealer told me they were fouled when I brought it in for an oil change/mulipoint inspection --SHADY, BTW. :wtf: Why the hell were they pulling my plugs for a damn oil change? AND they wanted $100 per plug...fucking stealerships man, that's why. Still, it'd been tripping occasional P0172/175 codes (running too rich) the last couple months and it'd been ~40k since the last time I changed the plugs so I figured I was due (my '06 has the bad plug/head design so I don't let it get anywhere near the 100k service interval).

I told them I can handle it myself, and I picked up some E3 plugs off Amazon. Had nothing to do with supposed performance --it was all about the 1 piece design (again...mine has the bad plug/head design). Turns out that was probably a waste of money. When I changed my last set of plugs at 47k, I used the hi-temp anti-seize --WHAT A FRIGGIN' DIFFERENCE THAT MAKES. Not one plug fought me! They were pretty dirty though for only 37k on them

Anyway, I pulled the battery for 30 min and one 15 mile test drive later... ear to ear. Idles so much smoother, pulls so much stronger, and even the gas mileage is up 5 mpg. I'm pretty sure its a combo of new plugs, cleaning the TB, and pulling the battery.

Last edited:

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Cam (Grandma) please do, let someone enjoy that car.
Scott, priorities change...........i get that.
Jeff, you just got your fucking car, someone kick him in the balls!!!!!

Funny coming from you. You're always threatening to sell yours. Lol

I can attest that Cam does not always drive his like a grandma!

I stopped kicking the idea around anyway. Its paid for and fun to drive. I just can't afford to do all the shit I want to do to it right now so I grow bored with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
Book time is 1.8hrs. Most dealer charge 1hr/$100 per broken plug. To quote that up front is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Book time is 1.8hrs. Most dealer charge 1hr/$100 per broken plug. To quote that up front is insane.

A book time of 1.8hrs means they'll quote 2.5hrs for that job, plus the 8 plugs at $25-30/plug, labor of $100-120/hr, easily over $500 without assuming any broken plugs.

What I don't understand is how they'd know that the plugs were fouled (unless the tech's butt-dyno detected a rough-running engine and was recommending plugs based on that).
Also, they had no idea the owner changed them before and used the "high-temp anti-seize" on them, so they're quoting what they're quoting trying to cover their ass up front.

I was a writer for a while and told customers up front the least it would be, but also how much it could go to if all 8 plugs broke. So I gave the customer 2 different prices

shelbie67

forum member
Reaction score
Just installed my Koni's, gave her a bath! And for tonight it's the shifter bracket and whiteline transmission bushing

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Name the dealership. Everyone needs to stay away.

I don't wanna name names. Lets just say it was probably the biggest Ford dealer on 50 in Fairfax (VA). It's a shame too. I bought the car new from those guys and they'd been great to me ever since, never had any problems taking it there in the 8 years I've been doing business with them. I don't know if its the new service advisor (my old one changed service teams but sits 2 desks away) or a new mechanic or new management trying to get them to aggressively drum up service.

A book time of 1.8hrs means they'll quote 2.5hrs for that job, plus the 8 plugs at $25-30/plug, labor of $100-120/hr, easily over $500 without assuming any broken plugs.

What I don't understand is how they'd know that the plugs were fouled (unless the tech's butt-dyno detected a rough-running engine and was recommending plugs based on that).
Also, they had no idea the owner changed them before and used the "high-temp anti-seize" on them, so they're quoting what they're quoting trying to cover their ass up front.

I was a writer for a while and told customers up front the least it would be, but also how much it could go to if all 8 plugs broke. So I gave the customer 2 different prices

Not knowing about the hi-temp anti-seize is true and them doing some CYA is a fair assumption. And quoting best and worst-case prices is an honest and respectable way to do business, and I'm really sketched out that they wouldn't. Quoting $800 up front (their labor rate is $110, btw)...if it all went easy I doubt I would have seen any of the difference back in my pocket.

I left this part out too in my OP -- they also said my TB was dirty and recommended a $200 BG induction service. So apparently they also had time in their multi-point inspection to pull off my CAI and check the butterflies too (admittedly they were just starting to accumulate some sludge).

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I don't wanna name names. Lets just say it was probably the biggest Ford dealer on 50 in Fairfax (VA). It's a shame too. I bought the car new from those guys and they'd been great to me ever since, never had any problems taking it there in the 8 years I've been doing business with them. I don't know if its the new service advisor (my old one changed service teams but sits 2 desks away) or a new mechanic or new management trying to get them to aggressively drum up service.

Not knowing about the hi-temp anti-seize is true and them doing some CYA is a fair assumption. And quoting best and worst-case prices is an honest and respectable way to do business, and I'm really sketched out that they wouldn't. Quoting $800 up front (their labor rate is $110, btw)...if it all went easy I doubt I would have seen any of the difference back in my pocket.

I left this part out too in my OP -- they also said my TB was dirty and recommended a $200 BG induction service. So apparently they also had time in their multi-point inspection to pull off my CAI and check the butterflies too (admittedly they were just starting to accumulate some sludge).

No, its just typical upselling. They don't check any of that crap and just recommend it all on mileage. The service writers and management are quick to push the techs to recommend those snake oil treatments on a certain schedule. The last dealership I worked at raped every single customer that walked in the door with those flushes and treatments. Even when I refused to recommend them, my writer would do it for me. Pissed me off to no end.

06Rousher

forum member
Reaction score
Cleaned her up and took it on the streets for the first time since the blower install! Feels solid and strong

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Thinking of selling mine also for a cheaper classic.

Could always pick up a classic bike. Ones like mine typically go for $1200. And its cheap to repair. Just rebuilt my forks last month about for $40

DSC_0537A.jpg

Back