What have you done to your mustang today?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
You can get Michelin Pilot Super Sports for that money. I can't believe how well they grip. I easily hit over 1.1 G's on the built in g-force meter on the dash doing a controlled stop with stock brakes and not skidding the tires.

Good tires but the available sizes just wouldn't work with my 18x9.5s ...

R1V3R5

5-Oh!
Reaction score
Got her back from dent removal place. I baby her but got caught in a damn hail storm at work, leaving 3 dime size dents in the roof. They removed them all for $250. Looks perfect.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Good tires but the available sizes just wouldn't work with my 18x9.5s ...
At least three MPSS sizes would be do-able on 18x9.5's.

265/40-18 (I'm currently running this size on specifically 18x9.5 GT500 wheels)

275/40-18 (this used to be a common S197 choice)

285/35-18 (just as do-able on 18x9.5's as the GT500 rear tire size of 285/40-18)

Norm

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
At least three MPSS sizes would be do-able on 18x9.5's.

265/40-18 (I'm currently running this size on specifically 18x9.5 GT500 wheels)

275/40-18 (this used to be a common S197 choice)

285/35-18 (just as do-able on 18x9.5's as the GT500 rear tire size of 285/40-18)

Norm

Yes those would fit on 18x9.5 wheels but just how much traction will those tires in those sizes get me when I launch hard with over 500 ft-lbs going to the rear tires?
I've had good luck with the 555R's in the past so I went with another set.

I plan on another set of tires, a square set-up, for my autocross 18x10 wheels, and those tires will be either 285/35/18, 285/40/18 or 295/40/18, but I'm some time away from making a decision there, since money's tight and I don't think I'll do any autocross this year, lack of tires being one of the reasons for that.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Yes those would fit on 18x9.5 wheels but just how much traction will those tires in those sizes get me when I launch hard with over 500 ft-lbs going to the rear tires?
I've had good luck with the 555R's in the past so I went with another set.

I plan on another set of tires, a square set-up, for my autocross 18x10 wheels, and those tires will be either 285/35/18, 285/40/18 or 295/40/18, but I'm some time away from making a decision there, since money's tight and I don't think I'll do any autocross this year, lack of tires being one of the reasons for that.
But you said the available tires wouldn't work with 18x9.5. Norm just pointed out the tire sizes WOULD work.

Then you brought up the power.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
But you said the available tires wouldn't work with 18x9.5. Norm just pointed out the tire sizes WOULD work.

Then you brought up the power.

I assumed that people would know my car was supercharged, I forget sometimes that signatures don't show on mobile, and a lot of people surf these forums on their phones.

Norm was definitely right, all those sizes would fit, and Brian was right too, those Michelins are great tires, but not great for this particular application.

Lol, true.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
I assumed that people would know my car was supercharged, I forget sometimes that signatures don't show on mobile, and a lot of people surf these forums on their phones.

Norm was definitely right, all those sizes would fit, and Brian was right too, those Michelins are great tires, but not great for this particular application.

Lol, true.
Yes, my thought is you said the available sizes wouldn't work with the wheels-- which has nothing to do with power.

So did you decide to not get them because they "couldn't handle the power" or because "the sizes wouldn't work with the wheels"?

Either way, no big deal. Just seems like the reason got changed when Norm pointed out that IN FACT there are tires to fit that wheel.

Jus' sayin'

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Yes, my thought is you said the available sizes wouldn't work with the wheels-- which has nothing to do with power.

So did you decide to not get them because they "couldn't handle the power" or because "the sizes wouldn't work with the wheels"?

Either way, no big deal. Just seems like the reason got changed when Norm pointed out that IN FACT there are tires to fit that wheel.

Jus' sayin'

Yeah I wanted something to help put down the power.
When I first replied I was on my phone in somewhat of a rush, so I didn't explain myself very well.

If I wanted any tire to fit the wheels, I would've bought 4 of the 285/40/18 Conti DW's when I bought 2 recently, which ended up on the front of the car.
But I've been using a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1s on the back for the last month or so, and am finding them extremely lacking in the ability to handle any kind of hard launches.
Kind of what I expected, but the sale I found on DTD's eBay store pushed me to make the purchase I was still gonna hold off on, for a while longer.
So I'm soon gonna have traction again.
Yaaaaayyyyyy ... :)

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm glad that I don't have a 5.0, I am going to try to make 12 psi on a cammed 4.6 stick with 295/40's. Yes it'll spin, but I've been dealing with that all my life, hopefully the truetrac helps as well. Maybe get a watts link next year.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'm afraid that the way the topic got started (vibrations, potentially unequal wheelbases, mention of several mods other than forced induction) steered me away from even considering power adders being involved.

Sigs aren't always kept up to date either, so I tend to stop reading past about where the middle of your sig pic lies (GT Track Pack, Recaros, Konis . . . nothing there that hints at big power like there is right there at the beginning of the description of her car).

Norm

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I'm afraid that the way the topic got started (vibrations, potentially unequal wheelbases, mention of several mods other than forced induction) steered me away from even considering power adders being involved.

Sigs aren't always kept up to date either, so I tend to stop reading past about where the middle of your sig pic lies (GT Track Pack, Recaros, Konis . . . nothing there that hints at big power like there is right there at the beginning of the description of her car).

Norm

True, I haven't updated my sig in quite some time.
Just fixed that.

And yeah, the car still has a vibration at 95+, starts to be noticeable around 90, really vibing by 100-110.
I don't go over that cuz of the vibes, and even those speeds I only touch very briefly, if/when I do.
She's a decently smooth cruiser at 80, so she's certainly usable, but I would really love to fix the high-speed vibes once and for all.

tightwhite08

Reaction score
started to install my rear suspension components but ran into a hiccup when the rear lca relocation bracket didn't line up with the panhard rod bolt hole. we'll see how long this takes me to figure out...

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Drove it to school, turned 40k miles on the way home

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back