What is this annoying tick?

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
This noise came out of nowhere a few months ago. Its only audible between 1200-2000 rpms. Mostly heard around 1600-1800 rpms. Here is a video, its compressed to a zip file.

Attachments

• ticking.mov.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 96

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
Take the valve cover off and inspect your valve train. Good way to start

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Is it possible to removed and change the cam phasers without compressing the Valve springs or lash adjusters?

I plan to get the tool.

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
Is it possible to removed and change the cam phasers without compressing the Valve springs or lash adjusters?

I plan to get the tool.

Yes you can. There is a video on YouTube that will show how to change them. I can't link it right now I'm on my phone. Just search mustang cam phaser. Good luck

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
You can remove the phasers without messing with the valve springs, lifters, camshaft, etc. The phasers are held on by a special one-time use 15mm bolt.

The one tool, or suitable substitute you will need is the timing chain wedge:

http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/3V-Timing-Chain-Locking-Wedge-303-1175-Alternative-ST-100.htm

This prevents the teeth from slipping at the crankshaft and allows you to carefully remove the phaser(s) after doing another couple of things.

The procedures can be found in these files:

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=158

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
..a good section of hose works as well...something to keep the chain from moving down on the crank sprocket.
mark the chain in relation to the L and R marks on the phasor, and make sure the replacement is put in the same chain link locations, and torque the phasor bolts per spec.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
Do I need a special tool to hold the phaser so I can torque it?

American muscle only sells the full kit now. Should I put the kit on instead? Removing the timing cover is easy it's just going to be difficult to align and time everything

Last edited:

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
No. What I've done many times is hand thread it, lightly tighten it, remove the wedge so that tension is on the phaser & chain, and then torque it to specification.

Never had a problem. If you do want the "teeth" tool, I've got one new and unused I'll sell you...

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
No. What I've done many times is hand thread it, lightly tighten it, remove the wedge so that tension is on the phaser & chain, and then torque it to specification.

Never had a problem. If you do want the "teeth" tool, I've got one new and unused I'll sell you...

Where are you located? Where can I buy a cam phaser and how much are they? American muscle doesn't sell them.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
I'm located in Killeen, Texas.

If you buy a Cam Phaser by itself, expect to pay $150-190. However if you order the entire cam timing kit, you'll pay $230 and end up with spare parts you could use later.

This is what it looks like:

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-racing-camshaft-drive-p-1208.html

If you Google the Part Number M-6004-463V, you'll find other outlets and prices.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
I have a homemade wedge you can borrow. As long as you send it back when you are done.
I used a vise grip to hold onto the cam while I torqued down the phaser.
Really easy job as long as you mark the chain and phaser and transfer it over to the new one.
Took me 45 mins a side to complete.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I have used the wedge and the hose method and trust me no way I would use the hose again. The wedge is so easy to use.

To torque just use a 18 mm socket on the crank bolt and a 15mm on the phaser bolt.

Mattr89

Cars>Woman
Reaction score
How do I mark the new cam phaser properly and to be sure it's in the same place as the old one?

How do I take the tension off the phaser to lift the chain?

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
There are marks on the front of the phaser. You can used those as a guide.
I would recommend taking a few pictures of the orientation before you take the old one off. With the alignment pin in the back of the phaser there really is no chance of messing it up. Just have to make sure the chain gets back on the same tooth on the phaser ( importance of the markings). There are several YouTube videos that show you how to do this.
The phaser will slide off the cam with little effort.

RLF9409

My blood runs Ford blue!
Reaction score
you can see the can wedge tool and the marks on the phaser and chain in this pic. I used a black paint marker but would recommend using a grease pen for visibility sake.

20130806_124037_zps54d9009e.jpg

And a birds eye view...I marked the cam as well just in case. If the cam is under pressure it might move when you remove the phaser...happened to me on the drivers side.

20130806_123908_zps2a56374c.jpg

I know it is something to be nervous about but if you know which way to switch your ratchet to losen and tighten bolts, you can do this!

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff422/wiggywigton/Mustang%20stuff/20130806_124037_zps54d9009e.jpg

Last edited:

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
How do I take the tension off the phaser to lift the chain?

With the wedge having the chain locked into place, you'll have just enough slack to push the phaser off the camshaft. Make sure you remove the cam position sensor to give you the room to slide it off without pushing on the "fingers" on the front of the phaser that you can see in the pictures.

Oh yea, using the vice grips is a must. Most times you pull the phaser off, there's a bit of tension on the camshaft because of valve position. When you get that last bit of the phaser off the cam, the cam will go left or right about .25-.50 inches. Nothing to worry about.

Locking the grips on the camshaft is a near-necessity when realigning the new phaser to the camshaft by rotating it to match the pin. It's not like you can rotate the chain to line up...

RLF9409 is right, once you do it, you'll see just how easy it is.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Do not forget that you have the timing chain wedge in place and try to rotate the engine. If you do, it will pull the tool down to a point that will lock it and it is a bitch to get out.

I learned this the hard way this past weekend. :(

Sent from iPhone

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Check out this .pdf on Freedom Racing.com should have all the info you need.

http://www.site.shopfreedomracing.com/uploads/3V_Cam_Installation_Instructions.pdf

If not browse their site for other instructions on the 3v engine.

EDIT: But to answer your question torque in two steps. 30 ft. lbs then an additional 90*. See the last page of the instructions above. Make sure you use new phaser bolts!!!

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back