what is too lean for a safe DD tune for a turbo?

Forge

forum member
Reaction score
Right now, im using a 12.3 A/f at 7psi at 14 degrees of timing (hellion kit), is that too high?

Im ready to push it up to 9psi (after i figure out how to relocate the AIT), what A/F should i shoot for? is 12:1 to lean for a safe DD tune at 9psi?

Last edited:

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter DD or not. A/F is A/F in my view. I think 12.1 is rich enough. I'd check the plugs a few times. I hope you know 12.3 is "more lean" than 12.1. Or do you have it mixed around?

Runnig rich has it's drawbacks. I have heard some running 11.8 and happy with it....! Did you keep the knock sensors in the tune?

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Back in the day when I was building and racing and knew something, I made the most power with the A/F generally 12.1 to 12.4 but I suppose to keep the motor alive it's cooled a bit these days with more fuel. I suppose the combustion chambers are different and the spark etc. in these modern tmes. It sure seems rich to me.

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good question and here are some possible answers:

Higher compression

More power per cubic inch

Unleaded fuel (no exhaust valve lube)

Lower octane fuel

Fuel injection (uses less fuel)

Now for N/A 12ish may be ok, but I trust them folks at HPP with my Saleen Tune and Doc does too.:clap:

Mike

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Mine is 11.5:1 right now with 10 degrees timing. Typically, I would go no more than 12:1 with over 10 degrees timing. If you push into the 12:1 zone you better have some damn good fuel in there.

Clay

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Above 12 is nearing dangerous. Mine is 11.5-ish, which is 'safe' rich. Higher 11's is a good place to start. I wouldn't go above 12 :eek:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back