what product to use on a exhaust leak??

SVTsupremecy

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so, i have a offroad X pipe on my car and i can hear it rattle when i start the car and stop semi-hard. When the car warms up it goes away for the most part except when i brake aggressivly. Is there any product i can use to put on the top of the x pipe that connects to my stock manifold. I know this is where the noise/leak is coming from on my passenger side. I was thinking about J-B weld but it says specifically do not use on exhaust manifolds or exhaust. So what kinda things can i do to maybe tighten up the leak? maybe some gasket or something else?

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I actually have the same problem of hearing a slight leak when I start my car up and having it go away in a few seconds, sometimes it does it and sometimes it does not. However, it was real bad when I first installed my x pipe and the leak was actually in the slip fit connections but I am using the Bassani x pipe that you can switch between cats and off road so I just had to seal them up better. So if you are using this pipe as well check that since I thought it was also the header flange leaking. If you are using a one piece x pipe and are sure it is coming from the headers, just get under there one day and make sure the flange is sitting flush because if it is slightly crooked then it wont seal well.

SVTsupremecy

forum member
Reaction score
ya i have a pypes offroad X and i just think the top part doesnt seal flush with the stock manifold. every other part of the exhaust is on perfect, its just the passenger side xpipe and stock manifold that arent fitting 100%...its close as it goes away 80% when the engines warm, but i just wanna fix it with something that wont give me the annoying tapping when i start my car. any products that hold up to heat that could help me?

biz4765

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I dont think there is anything to actually put up there to seal it up that I know of. Id be willing to bet that the flange is just up there a bit crooked, that happened on my old fox body GT....I just backed the bolts out and tapped the flange on there evenly with an extension and a hammer then re tightened the bolts...it worked.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
this has been discussed before. over time, the pypes off road H pipe is no longer round and warps. this causes the leak. someone did have a solution but i think for the hassle it would have been easier to buy a new pipe or take the stock pipe and gut the cats

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back