What to buy 2014 Shelby GT500 or 2014 Corvette?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Now I invested into a new business/career. I started a plastic mold injection company/3D printing business. All equipment is at my house and I just sell stuff eBay/Amazon etc work from home.

That was one helluva smart move.

I've actually been buying stock in Hewlett-Packard lately because of all the promise of 3D printing. They've been buying up a bunch of the smaller companies to gear up for it.

I'm actually about to shoot you a message real quick. I'm actually looking to get some stuff 3D printed.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
That was one helluva smart move.

I've actually been buying stock in Hewlett-Packard lately because of all the promise of 3D printing. They've been buying up a bunch of the smaller companies to gear up for it.

I'm actually about to shoot you a message real quick. I'm actually looking to get some stuff 3D printed.

Looks like ACTUALLY is the word of the day?
LOL

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
I have a vette and mustang, two different cars. You need to drive both. Vette is smaller inside, rides rougher, isn't as practical, no back seat, etc. I had a 2014 fully loaded z51 vette for a week. I enjoyed it but it was cramped inside and slow. Nothing a $5k supercharger doesn't fix but still I couldn't stand driving it stock.

As for attention, vette got plenty of it, and even when they become common vettes tend to turn more heads and get more attention in my experience. That being said if I had to pick one car to daily drive I would take a mustang over a vette. Just fits my driving style better. If you wanted something as a race car, autox, road course, then go vette.

Either way go drive them. Some people can't stand how the vettes drive and others love it.

As far as insurance, Vettes are stupid cheap to insure. Insurance isn't based off power/etc it is based off claims made/actuary tables. Average vette owner is something like 66 years old and drives it 3x a month. Hard to wreck or get one stolen when so many of them are garage queens. Vettes are strangely one of the cheapest cars to insure because of this. I pay $600 a year on my z06. It is 1/2 of what my 2012 mustang is.

Bought my z06 when I was 28 and the mustang when I was 29. Mustang was only slightly cheaper than the vette. Vette was $40k mustang was $35k.

Last edited:

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Apples to oranges.

I kept my GT when I got the newest Vette. Two different cars altogether; only things in common are rwd, black interior, and convertible top. Yes, wife eventually pushed me into it, but she had her own Vettes, and didn't want me to get rid of the GT.

Last edited:

07silvergt

Reaction score
This.

My vote is actually get a "standard" Mustang GT for $30K and put a bunch of high-end suspension stuff on it with the remaining $35K, but I'm weird.

me too ^^

but $15000 would pay for the entire Griggs setup and the rest can be the supercharger.

XJCasper

forum member
Reaction score
I am a born and raised Corvette kid. Took naps on the way to various events in the back of my Dad's 71. Until last June have always been a Chevy guy with stints playing with Dodge, Jeep and Nissan.

I am also too tall to drive a vette with an ass too wide to want to sit in it.

But I just can not stand the appearance of the new vettes...

I have to vote GT500

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
I think it is awesome that one would even consider the GT500 and the new Vette to be equally competitive...

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
GallopingFord love your car. That is literally exactly what I am looking to get if I don't go the corvette route...!

I appreciate it... so just buy my car.

I think it is awesome that one would even consider the GT500 and the new Vette to be equally competitive...

I agree... It's because the fun factor is there for both of them... but derived in different ways.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If Ford would put the 6R80 in the GT 500 I know what my next car would be.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
100% agree with ^^^^^

Lack of auto in GT500 sucks. I'll never have a 500+rwhp car without an auto again. c7 z06 with auto is looking badass. That or even a 2014 c7 with an ECS blower kit, solid 550rwhp, mid 10 second car with 6 speed auto. Or wait for the 8 speed in the 2015 and that would be even better.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly. I can swap an auto into my vette but it is $13-14k in parts, and then add labor so about the same. $16-17k. No thanks. 700rwhp on a good drag radial is ok, but get into the 900+rwhp range and sticks just become a hassle. I rather have a stalled auto because trying to launch a 1000+rwhp stick car is damn near impossible.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
^ Agree. Drag race = auto, road race = manual is my philosophy.

shawnxrox

forum member
Reaction score
If I got vette I would have to get auto. Its just too dam small for me to drive comfortably with 7 speed.

I also considered a GTR. But the insurance and cost to maintain it is absolutely ridiculous. I was reading about 8K for a dam brake job.

I think I'm going to order the 2015 Vette in red with Carbon Black Stripes. They are way behind on building them. I'm 6'6 325 (football build). I'm going to crash diet after I order the car as a motivation lol...

Attachments

• Shawn11.jpg
    Shawn11.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 9
  • redvette.jpg
    redvette.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 14

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to order the 2015 Vette in red with Carbon Black Stripes. They are way behind on building them. I'm 6'6 325 (football build). I'm going to crash diet after I order the car as a motivation lol...

Do try sitting in one first. I'm 6'4'' and don't fit. My knees/legs rub against the dash, and I've tried several C7s.

If you are buying a 60K car, the 2 grand in insurance a year should not matter.

..the fuck?

shawnxrox

forum member
Reaction score
Just because a car cost 60-70k doesn't mean I wanna crap away 2K extra a year for insurance so sure it matters! A Nissan GTR is $4000 a year to insure. Its one of my favorite cars, but I will never own one because of its insurance and maintaining expenses.

Ve

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back