What to look for in a local tuner?

08AlloyGT

forum member
Reaction score
Just a few quick questions for the SoCal mustang guys. I know that reputation and the experience of the tuner is the big thing when someone is shopping around for a shop to work on there car. What else to do you guys look for, or more importantly look out for? I.E.- What throws up red flags and makes you say, these people aren't touching my car. I know that ST Motorsports in San Bernardino has a great reputation. Who else in SoCal stacks up with them? Thanks.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
You nailed it... reputation, and personal referrals are the best, IMO.

Personally, I wouldn't use anyone in San Diego to tune mine, that's why I trek up to San Bernardino. I know several excellent engine builders and tuners at the local tracks, but they aren't mod motor guys. JBA Racing down here seems to have a small following, but I haven't seen any JBA-tuned S197s at the track that are the least bit impressive. And they couldn't even properly do a simple dyno pull for me way back in summer 2005, so there's no way they are touching my car.

I met Adam for the first time in late 2005 when he came down to San Diego to race. I also met Mark (ChevyKiller) then, too. Mark and I got to talking, and he introduced me to Adam. I watched Adam's bone stock car outrun me by about 4/10s that night (in the 1/8!!)... just because of his tune. I knew right then that he knew his shit.

08AlloyGT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Don. The reason I ask, is that I'm looking into going into business for my self in the near future, and I can't think of anything off the top of my head that sounds more fun, although in all likely hood a financial disaster. To be honest, I know jack about cars when it comes down to it. But lucky for me, I've got a few people around me that know a lot. I'm just trying to get a feel for the market. I know Southern California is full of custom car shops & tuners for all kinds of cars (how many are good, I don't know), but I think the s197's are still a niche market to some degree. So I guess the key would be to start out small, build a couple of fast cars the right way-take em to the tracks/shows and spread the word. I know the economy has been heading south lately, but rent is cheap right now if you're looking for a business lease.There's a lot to it I know. Any decent tuners out there looking for a job?:idea:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back