What to look for in chosing a new alternator?

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Well the time has come. My 05 GT has been kicking out P0340 codes. I know from digging into a number of threads about this code that this means the alternator is on it's way out.

Problem now is that I don't know anything about alternators (well except for basic stuff).

I do not believe I require any additional output than I had already with my factory alt but I am reaching out to find out if an upgrade will do me any good.

I have no real mods underway (few minor bolt-ons) and do not plan any in the future (possibly NOS). I am only using the factory amps that came with my Shaker 500.

What do I look for in a new alt and what are the best brands? ... oh God, I didn't just ask for the best brand did I?..... what I meant to say is... are there any brands to stay away from?

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
One word... OEM!!

Basically you only have one reliable option... OEM
Second option is PA Performance; I cannot recommend them as my experience was not reliable. But others have had good results.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
One word... OEM!!

Second option is PA Performance; I cannot recommend them as my experience was not reliable. But others have had good results.

Will a basically stock configuration take advantage of higher output or is it a waste of money (re: PA Performance). Thx AXR

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
The Department of boost has been rumored to be working on one but I don't believe it's available yet I would send a message to them and see if they're ready to sell.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
The Department of boost has been rumored to be working on one but I don't believe it's available yet I would send a message to them and see if they're ready to sell.

Do I need to know a secret handshake? lol

How do I contact them? *rushes off to use search

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I replaced mine with a lifetime warranty rebuilt. Since it's so easy to change out I decided to take a chance.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced mine with a lifetime warranty rebuilt. Since it's so easy to change out I decided to take a chance.

Where did you get it from?

Around here (In BC) they want to charge close to $400. This is one of the reasons I am seeking help. I will have to buy from a US vendor and my return/warranty options will be limited.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Where did you get it from?

Around here (In BC) they want to charge close to $400. This is one of the reasons I am seeking help. I will have to buy from a US vendor and my return/warranty options will be limited.

O'Reileys. How close are you to the border?

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
We are 45 mins away and are in the US at least once a week but the closest town in the US doesn't have any decent auto stores. We use a shipping address a place called Oroville WA. Once it arrives we run down and pick it up.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
We are 45 mins away and are in the US at least once a week but the closest town in the US doesn't have any decent auto stores. We use a shipping address a place called Oroville WA. Once it arrives we run down and pick it up.

I believe I've been there once when I went to Lake Wannacut. It sounds like you have a plan.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
I believe I've been there once when I went to Lake Wannacut. It sounds like you have a plan.

Ya I have to order stuff like this all the time. The problem is if I have to return it. The whole process can take so long. Bottom line is it is better to ask questions than it is to order the wrong thing.

I checked and the nearest O'Reileys is another 45 mins down the road in Omak. I think I will need to have it shipped.

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score

The 6g 130a oem alternator has proven to be problematic to say the least. I have the DOB 4g 200a alternator on my car now. Along with the wire upgrade it has proven to be a huge improvement to delivery power to my fuel pumps and accessories.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
The 6g 130a oem alternator has proven to be problematic to say the least. I have the DOB 4g 200a alternator on my car now. Along with the wire upgrade it has proven to be a huge improvement to delivery power to my fuel pumps and accessories.

How does it improve in a stock configuration though. I mean I get that if you have a blower or fuel pump upgrade then you need the extra amps but wouldn't the upgrade be an overkill for me? Not trying at all to be a smart ass. I'm just trying to understand if it is like putting in 94 octane gas without a tune

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I bought my alternator from Advance Auto Parts. With their internet coupon I saved a bunch, plus it was an OEM rebuilt. Been over a year now I think.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
A stock configured car will not need more AMPs... So an OEM or stock like alternator would be fine.

You only need a more powerful alternator if you have accessories, fans, pumps, stereo, lights, etc. Otherwise, stock is fine.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
There is no down side to having more amps. Also the 4g is a stronger alternator than the 6g. It simply last longer and has less failures. But getting a custom alternator does cost a bit more.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
One word... OEM!!

How far is Chase from you, there is a Napa there.

There are at least 10 Napa stores between penticton and chase. Penticton has around 30,000 people, Chase maybe 1,000.

I say order one from Tousleys, pick it up at betta's and go from there.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
135 for one from Napa and they are in your backyard. Any issues you have them right there to fix the problem.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back