what you know about 302 to a 306ci???

Herrmann315

forum member
Reaction score
what you ppl know about a 302 bored to a 306...compared to 351 windsors..im looking at this 90 fox with a rebuilt engine..but im being told they are the "junk" engine compared to the 351s..but i would have to sell my s197 to get this..just dont know if id be thowing money at the 306...might i add it does have a 125 shot nos and dont know how many times hes sprayed..he says 4 times. but gotta take that with a gain of sand....

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
I'm probably wrong, but isn't a 306 just a .30 over 302?
Not real sure what issues you'd have with it, but just be warned, the Fox is a fun car, it's not a nice car.

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
We had a guy at work with 230k on his 90 lx laying down 480 rwhp out of a 306. Lol he sold it to buy a cop car, and to go back to college.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
302's have been proving themselves as very stout for that last 25 years at least.

My single turbo 306 made 732lbs of torque and ran a 10.55@133. Stock block, stock GT40's, and a cobra intake. They're bad little bastards that can be hard to beat. And Fords done it all over again with the new 5.0L.

SRTthis

Reaction score
302's have been proving themselves as very stout for that last 25 years at least.

My single turbo 306 made 732lbs of torque and ran a 10.55@133. Stock block, stock GT40's, and a cobra intake. They're bad little bastards that can be hard to beat. And Fords done it all over again with the new 5.0L.

stock block?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
stock block?

Yes stock block. It was a '93 Cobra, I had an F303 Cam, $300 forged pistons through Summit, and ARP head bolts. Stock block, stock rods, stock crank, stock GT40 heads (GT40 valve springs), stock Cobra intake, stock throttle body. Car made 622 hp, 732tq at the wheels on 21 lbs.

Custom single T-70 turbo at 21 psi, intercooled, alcohol injection. Tremec 3550, Spec 4 clutch, 31 spine rear with 3.27's.

That was in 2004-2005.

Oh, and this was in Utah at 5000 feet!

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
so the olders 302s ok???/jusat asking cuz i dont want to be spending tons of money on this thing if i buy it

Older compared to what? We are talking about older 302's. The '85-01 302's are roller cam which is better/easier, but the older ones (68-84) can be converted easily. There are Mexican castings through the 70's/early 80's that are supposed to be stronger because of their higher nickel content, but aside from that, they're all equal.

RickG9

Reaction score
FYI, the Mexican blocks are not higher nickel, they were desirable in the 70's-80's because they were the only 302 block to have thicker main bearing caps, similar to the 289 Hi-Po blocks.

They looked beefier, so most people considered them to be stronger, but many machine shops (at least in my area) prefer the roller cam 5.0 blocks, which actually do have higher nickel iron compared to late 70's, early 80's blocks.

To answer the OP, there is nothing inherently wrong with a 302 compared to the 351w, other than being a smaller and lighter block. As others have said, it will make a ton of power with the right parts. The 351w will stay together while making more power simply because it has 49 more c.i. and the block itself is stronger with thicker main webs and bigger main bearings. However, I can't go along with a blanket statement like "a 306 is a great engine." Being a 306 means the engine has been rebuilt, and as is the case with any rebuilt engine, how good it is depends entirely on the quality of the parts used and skill of rebuilder/machiner. You can have a 306 built from a '77 core by boring the block and stuffing it with stock replacement .030 over cast pistons and stock crank, rods, bearings, with little to no care in the machine work. Try adding power parts to that and it's going to cost you. If the rebuild started with a roller block, included quality machining, forged pistons, ARP rod bolts, etc., you can build power with no worries. It boils down to two things, what is the seller telling you the engine has in it, and do you trust/believe him?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
FYI, the Mexican blocks are not higher nickel, they were desirable in the 70's-80's because they were the only 302 block to have thicker main bearing caps, similar to the 289 Hi-Po blocks.

They looked beefier, so most people considered them to be stronger, but many machine shops (at least in my area) prefer the roller cam 5.0 blocks, which actually do have higher nickel iron compared to late 70's, early 80's blocks.

FYI, Mexican blocks do in fact have a higher nickel content. Not sure where you're getting your info, but it's incorrect. Yes they have beefier mains as well, which overall makes them one of the stonger options. And they do actually have more nickel than any of the late roller motors. This is pretty well known about the Mexican blocks. The reason your local machine shops prefer the late model blocks is more likely that they're already setup for roller cams. That means less work for them.

Not to be confused with the other regular 302 blocks through the 70's/80's. Those were nothing special.

RickG9

Reaction score
FYI, Mexican blocks do in fact have a higher nickel content. Not sure where you're getting your info, but it's incorrect. Yes they have beefier mains as well, which overall makes them one of the stonger options. And they do actually have more nickel than any of the late roller motors. This is pretty well known about the Mexican blocks. The reason your local machine shops prefer the late model blocks is more likely that they're already setup for roller cams. That means less work for them.

Not to be confused with the other regular 302 blocks through the 70's/80's. Those were nothing special.

I got that info from a machinist who's been building Fords for over 20 years. Just because a lot of people share the same belief about something doesn't make it true. I had heard the same story about the Mexican blocks for years, but it was always from other people who (like me) had heard it from someone else and just accepted it because it seemed to be common knowledge.

When I was having an engine built for my '73 a few years back, the story I was told is that Mexican blocks were made with the same lower nickel iron that was typical of most engines in the 70's (because it was cheaper), and of Mexican manufacturing specifically. Since these "Mexican" cast blocks were destined for trucks and vans, the mains were beefed up to compensate for the slightly less hard iron that they had available so the blocks would hold up to the harder use a truck engine may encounter. In the mid 80's when Ford started upping the HP in the 5.0 they began a program to enhance the strength of the block to keep up with the increased output (and higher abuse level that goes with it), one of many changes was to introduce more nickel to the iron which made improvements in several areas to justify the added cost, not only was the block stronger and more durable, it had better ring seal for improved oil control, reduced emmissions, and increased efficiency. All of these are good reasons to choose a late model block, the roller cam compatibility is just icing on the cake.

Now, since I haven't done any metalurgy tests myself, I can't dispute your assertion that the Mexican blocks do have more nickel, but until you can produce the documentation to back up your claims, I chose to believe 1st hand info from a machinist who has worked on enough blocks of different vintage to make an informed opinion.

BTW, you didn't say where you got your info. If you're going to say my info was incorrect, how about backing that up with something other than "This is pretty well known about the Mexican blocks".

SRTthis

Reaction score
ive heard it both ways... mexican blocks have higher nickle content which is why they weigh more... and ive heard they just have thicker mains and gussets, which is why they weigh more. some one send me a chunk of both and ill put it to rest

Back