What's the best way to upgrade 05+ headlights?

phorty

forum member
Reaction score
I've had my 06 GT since new. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and after long days at work I'm left wanting more out of my headlights. I had a 2003 Nissan Maxima before my GT that had Xenons from the factory that worked great.

What is the best method to upgrade the factory lights? Is it a bulb swap, HID conversion, or something else? I don't want to spend $500+ to convert to the later mustangs HID set-up but don't want a cheap HID that will break.

Thanks for the help!

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Currently, the only option is the OEM HID's.

I may get into the manufacture of clones sometime, but that's a ways off.

I have Sylvania xtravision bulbs in my OEM housings (said to provide a whiter light and a minor increase in output,) I could tell there was more light but this was only because my old OEM bulbs had hazed over. The filaments burn and make deposits on the inside of the bulb - some fresh bulbs may help you out.

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Or a hid retrofit. Those can be a few hundred $$ but cheaper than oem

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
...and blind everyone

Petitions are going around up here in the land of the less free to ban such things. People have had it with lifted trucks and their hoopty ching chong lights.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
No.....retrofits....putting a projector inside the housing. Not just throwing a bulb in.
It's literally the same as OEM setup, only in a diy format.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Finding someone to retrofit the lights for you is the best way to increase light output without blinding everyone.

Cheap route is to just buy an HID kit and slap it on your current lights. However as stated this is frowned upon by most as it can really bother oncoming traffic if they're not aligned correctly.

Scrat

forum member
Reaction score
if you decide to stay with your oem setup i suggest either the sylvania xtravision bulbs (the clear glass not the tinted glass) or philips xtreme visions. (again the clear glass) I run the philips and i love them.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I was on my phone at work, i swear i didnt know.....

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thats no excuse!!!!!! You are in time out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phorty

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I grabbed a set of Slyvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs on EBay and we will see if that helps. The original bulbs are in there now so I bet I notice a difference. The Yutes kits look amazing but I'll see how far my $22 "upgrade" bulbs goes before diving into that. Now to find some yellowish bulbs for my fogs so people stop flashes their brights at me!

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Are you driving around with fog lights on at night?
That is a lot of light, that spreads far which is why you get flashed with them on.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
As stated already retrofits are the most cost-effective way to get safe-for-other-drivers HIDs. I had the Silverstar Ultras, while they were much better than OEM bulbs they pale in comparison to the OEM HID in my 11

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Are you driving around with fog lights on at night?
That is a lot of light, that spreads far which is why you get flashed with them on.

Of course we drive with the fog lights on at night. Bitches need to know we rollin'!

Honestly, they must spread a lot because I'm lowered a bit from stock, and I'll have jacked up diesel trucks with the HID bulbs only (I call them the "Blue Light Special" crew) flash me for the fogs. However, I only get flashed on one particular street. Anywhere else at night, it is no issue.

Exley

forum member
Reaction score
Yea projector retrofits would be the best light output followed by OEM 08-09 HIDs

I just saw a set go for around $200 on the classifieds. Paid $600 for mine :sigh1: Only cried a little inside. Had mine for over a year. Worth every penny :2cents:

also isthatguy those look sweet!

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Selling my stock lights and putting on tinted lights are my biggest regret. Really wish I hadn't sold the stock ones. I've seen one guy do retrofits and he can also make those little louvers inside the housing light up. Just finding it difficult to pony up that kind of cash.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back