Whats the difference between the 05-07 4.6 to the 08-09 4.6

whippledpony

forum member
Reaction score
i have this question because i blew up my motor and found a good deal on a motor out of an 07 for my 2008, i have herd that there is something different in the motors from one year to the next....any help would be greatly appreciated

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
2008 1/2 had a head change, uses different spark plugs.
From an entire-engine assembly swap perspective, should be no differences.
There were a few engine harness connector changes here and there, but mostly in terms of the connector ends themselves; some of the kinds of connectors were changed over the years. But since you're probably using all of your bolt-ons and accessories, there would be no difference.

FWIW, I'm running a 2009 motor in my 2005, with various 2005-2008 accessories and parts bolted on. Modular indeed!

whippledpony

forum member
Reaction score
well i have a whipple that i will be throwing on there and i wouldnt be using the heads off of the 08 as i would be buying a long block set up with the heads already on the motor and stock internals from an 07 gt....i jst want to pull the old one out and drop this one in and install my supercharger and get a new dyno tune is that possible

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Also, in 2008, the thermostat moved to the crossover between the heads. The 05-07 had an inline thermostat. I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that the crossovers are different. If you still have the crossover from your old motor, you can simply use that and keep your inline setup. Otherwise, you'll need to procure the new hoses and covert to the thermostat in the crossover setup.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Also, in 2008, the thermostat moved to the crossover between the heads. The 05-07 had an inline thermostat. I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that the crossovers are different. If you still have the crossover from your old motor, you can simply use that and keep your inline setup. Otherwise, you'll need to procure the new hoses and covert to the thermostat in the crossover setup.

05-06 thermostat was down low.......starting in 07 they moved it up high to the crossover.

well i have a whipple that i will be throwing on there and i wouldnt be using the heads off of the 08 as i would be buying a long block set up with the heads already on the motor and stock internals from an 07 gt....i jst want to pull the old one out and drop this one in and install my supercharger and get a new dyno tune is that possible

only difference could possibly be the different spark plugs, mid 08 they changed the design....so if you had a early 08 then everything would be the same.....if you had a late 08 then that would be the only difference.....as long as the 07 comes with cops then it wouldnt matter either way, if the 07 does not include cops......and you have the late 08 head design then you will need to either replace the boots on the cops or the cops to the older style.

so do you know which heads you have on your 08 or a build month on your car?

Last edited by a moderator:

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
The accessory location is ever-so slightly different for something (mounting brackets? Pulley diameter? I don't know.) - Roush told me this is the case, thus having three different belts for M90's on the various year cars. We're talking ~ 1/2" total FEAD belt length, but nevertheless it is a difference. I've never isolated what the difference actually is.

2005/2006 FEAD M90 belt: RPP# R07020015 -13-AA / PN 401967 / 131.732"

2007/2008 FEAD M90 belt: RPP# R07020032-13-AA / PN 402065 / 132.441"

2009/2010 FEAD M90 belt: RPP# R07020063-13-AA / PN 404078 / 132.638"

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
05-06 thermostat was down low.......starting in 07 they moved it up high to the crossover.

only difference could possibly be the different spark plugs, mid 08 they changed the design....so if you had a early 08 then everything would be the same.....if you had a late 08 then that would be the only difference.....as long as the 07 comes with cops then it wouldnt matter either way, if the 07 does not include cops......and you have the late 08 head design then you will need to either replace the boots on the cops or the cops to the older style.

so do you know which heads you have on your 08 or a build month on your car?

Correct...05/06 used a hose setup / thermostat housing that many refer to as "The Octopus" (although it only has four legs):

DPP_TVS_Supercharger155-vi.jpg

2007 and up use this, and the thermostat is on top of the engine (coolant crossover)

DPP_TVS_Supercharger124-vi.jpg

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
COPs changed with the head/plug redesign too. Not sure if they are interchangeable or not.

My car is an Oct 16th 2007 build 2008MY and has the 'new' T-stat setup, but the old head/plug/COP design.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The COPs are interchangeable...been running pre-08 COPs with '09 heads/plugs w/o issue for 2 years. Ideally you'd get the different boots to fit the smaller plugs, though; the boots are a little loose. The coil contacts seem fine.

whippledpony

forum member
Reaction score
my car was built in february of 2008, so what is all needed to be done to make the swap is what i want to know, or who would be the best shop to call to get the most info from

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back