Wheel/tire recommendations for TVS car

crim5.0n

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a TVS install with supporting mods over the winter/spring, planning for roughly 600rwhp and 500-530rwtq. I have the track pack 19x9 wheels with 255/40R19 PZERO tires which will need to be replaced. I've been contemplating switching out wheels to 19x9 front, 19x10 in the back or going to a 18x9 front, 18x10 rear for more tire options.

As far as I know as long as the tires for the 18s are close to 27" the ride height will stay the same and the fender gap won't get any larger (still stock ride height) which is what I want. I don't want to lower the car unless it would look weird.

I've also considered doing a more drag oriented setup with the 15s on the rear but I don't know if lightweight drag wheels can be run 24/7. My car doesn't see the track, probably never will, it's a weekend warrior that I drive around town and on highway cruises sometimes. I just like the look of the drag setup.

It's a '14 auto with stock 3.15 gears. Opinions and knowledge from those who have changed setups welcome.

crim5.0n

Reaction score
Would 11" wheels fit without any rubbing? Seems like quite a bit of wheel to stick under there.

The only 11" wheels I've seen so far are Forgestars which are pretty pricey, not sure if I can justify the extra money but if they're gonna make a big difference, I can consider them.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Two combinations to consider, left MT ET Street Radials 325/50R15 on a 15 x 10 Race Star wheel and right 315/35ZR20 Nitto Invo on a 20 x 10.5 Vossen CV3-R wheel.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
i've got 20x10.5 on the rear of my car with 295 Nitto Invo's. Pretty sure there's enough room for another 1/2" of wheel in there.

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
Plenty of people running 11s on the rear of a 2010-2011. Offset needs to be 54 or 55 i think. It's tight but it works. I've even seen 11s up front, but that's a bit agressive for a street car.

crim5.0n

Reaction score
Yeah I would not want an 11" on a street car up front. I haven't really looked at offset too much, but that's probably pretty dumb on my part. I don't want something sticking out past the fenders.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Use a 10" on the front, with either a 275 or 285. Use a 11" on the rear with either a 305 or 315. A 11" with a 315 fits just fine on the rear.

You don't want too much stagger, or it will induce even more understeer.

crim5.0n

Reaction score
Use a 10" on the front, with either a 275 or 285. Use a 11" on the rear with either a 305 or 315. A 11" with a 315 fits just fine on the rear.

You don't want too much stagger, or it will induce even more understeer.

Thanks for the tip! I was figuring 30mm difference between front and rear is about as big as I would want to go so that lines up.

Do you have any recommendations in terms of wheels that come in a 10"/11" staggered combo or would they need to be sourced separately? Still haven't found anything that comes in 11" besides the Forgestars lol

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Would 11" wheels fit without any rubbing? Seems like quite a bit of wheel to stick under there.

The only 11" wheels I've seen so far are Forgestars which are pretty pricey, not sure if I can justify the extra money but if they're gonna make a big difference, I can consider them.
In the overall scheme of things, Forgestars are on the inexpensive end. Not cheap like the American Racing Razor wheels on $99 closeout at Tire Rack, but not $,$$$.¢¢ each like fully forged wheels can run either.

With the right offsets, 18x11 wheels fit anywhere on a S197 with at least 285/35 tires. With no rubbing, no matter how hard you drive. Up front, tires with at least 10.2" tread can get all of the tread under the sheetmetal (the sidewalls and the outer wheel flanges do stick out a little) . . .

but in the back, there's room to spare.

It's actually my road course track day setup, but they see anywhere from 100 to 1000 street miles driving to and from each event, all of the driving in between closely scheduled events, and I ran them for a whole summer a couple of years back. There's somewhere over 3000 street miles on them as of today with zero downsides so far.

picture.php

picture.php

Norm

Last edited:

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
With 600+hp you're also going to want to run a tire more aggressive than your average mid-range summer tire. Nitto Invos definitely wouldn't be on my list. You'd want either a top teir max perf summer tire, an extreme perf summer tire, drag radials, or r888s.
I'd be leaning towards the extreme perfs or above.

crim5.0n

Reaction score
In the overall scheme of things, Forgestars are on the inexpensive end. Not cheap like the American Racing Razor wheels on $99 closeout at Tire Rack, but not $,$$$.¢¢ each like fully forged wheels can run either.

With the right offsets, 18x11 wheels fit anywhere on a S197 with at least 285/35 tires. With no rubbing, no matter how hard you drive. Up front, tires with at least 10.2" tread can get all of the tread under the sheetmetal (the sidewalls and the outer wheel flanges do stick out a little) . . .

but in the back, there's room to spare.

It's actually my road course track day setup, but they see anywhere from 100 to 1000 street miles driving to and from each event, all of the driving in between closely scheduled events, and I ran them for a whole summer a couple of years back. There's somewhere over 3000 street miles on them as of today with zero downsides so far.

picture.php

picture.php

Norm

Thanks for the input Norm, much appreciated

With 600+hp you're also going to want to run a tire more aggressive than your average mid-range summer tire. Nitto Invos definitely wouldn't be on my list. You'd want either a top teir max perf summer tire, an extreme perf summer tire, drag radials, or r888s.
I'd be leaning towards the extreme perfs or above.

I've spent some time looking at tires, R888 was definitely on the short list for the rears. Also considering NT05/NT05R, 555 Gen 2 (front), and some others. I'll have to re-investigate to see what mates up well with an 11" wheel and how the tire heights compare

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I think you'd like a NT555r but they don't come in 19s. You either need to go to an 18x10 or 20x10 out back to get good tire choices. M&H makes a nice radial for a 18x10 wheel, and the NT05r comes in a couple sizes that work well too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back