When are the breaking points of a stock 8.8

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This. Several pix of the Torsen, blown apart, from drag racing have been posted to S-197 and other forums. The eaton tru-trac is 1/2 the price, and holds up..and also has a 3.5:1 bias ratio.

Exploded%20Torsen-L.jpg

From my review of the Eaton TrueTrac:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3494/Project-Grey-Mustang-50-Part-5--Putting-the-Power-Down-with-Eaton.aspx

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Is that the 31 or 33 spline diff?
I heard the 33 are a lot stronger, if I'm thinking of the correct diff

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd Truetrac, I beat on the first one for 2+years and probably 200 hard launches on slicks. It was still going strong.

The reason I replaced it was when I went to swap gears, I found the case had been hammered into the C clip from the force of the gears slamming into the case, the clip was not coming out,

I had to use a dremel to grind the ridge off around the c clip channel so it would come out.

The one I'm running now has the same issue.

I thought about machining the case/gear and having a hardened steel washer installed but I'm not tracking the car as much .. I'll replace it at some point.

Attachments

• TrurTrac_Case_Passengerside_Hammered.jpg
    TrurTrac_Case_Passengerside_Hammered.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 14

ChuckyRick

Reaction score
Sorry guys been away for a few days. I appreciate everyone still chiming in with their opinions and experiences. When i started off and made this thread i was thinking of doing my rear end in two "stages", 1) being welding my axles tubes, Support cover, new clutches in my track-lok and fresh bearings/set-up all around as kind of a "budget" improvement for now and then 2) a few years down the road just throwing the book at it. But after reading everyones thoughts i'm thinking it'll be better to bite the bullet and do more than i was planning now- to save me having to do it again in a few years (Or maybe even less). I do enough rear ends in trucks at work i don't want to come home and be constantly working on my own.

Right now i think i have an idea of what the rear end build will look like: Welded axle tubes and LPW cover like previously mentioned. ARP main cap studs, ARP wheel studs, Crush sleeve elim kit from Strange, Strange axles, set-up kit from strange, and Eaton TruTrac (Plus axles bearings and seals obviously). Hopefully it'll hold up for atleast a few years so i can focus on my motor build.

SkyRender- Thanks for the review, definitely learned things i didn't know about the Eaton vs Torsen. These are all certainly alot different than an air-locker you need to move around with a forklift or shop crane lol

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Sorry guys been away for a few days. I appreciate everyone still chiming in with their opinions and experiences. When i started off and made this thread i was thinking of doing my rear end in two "stages", 1) being welding my axles tubes, Support cover, new clutches in my track-lok and fresh bearings/set-up all around as kind of a "budget" improvement for now and then 2) a few years down the road just throwing the book at it. But after reading everyones thoughts i'm thinking it'll be better to bite the bullet and do more than i was planning now- to save me having to do it again in a few years (Or maybe even less). I do enough rear ends in trucks at work i don't want to come home and be constantly working on my own.

Right now i think i have an idea of what the rear end build will look like: Welded axle tubes and LPW cover like previously mentioned. ARP main cap studs, ARP wheel studs, Crush sleeve elim kit from Strange, Strange axles, set-up kit from strange, and Eaton TruTrac (Plus axles bearings and seals obviously). Hopefully it'll hold up for atleast a few years so i can focus on my motor build.

SkyRender- Thanks for the review, definitely learned things i didn't know about the Eaton vs Torsen. These are all certainly alot different than an air-locker you need to move around with a forklift or shop crane lol

Why in the world would you replace the axles? If you have enough power to break the stock axles it's time to look at a 9".

IMO you are spending money that doesn't need to be spent.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Thats my plan.

If I ever wind up twisting the housings, breaking axles or whatever, just go balls deep into a 9" and possibly minitub the rear for room/full drop on air :D

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thats my plan.

If I ever wind up twisting the housings, breaking axles or whatever, just go balls deep into a 9" and possibly minitub the rear for room/full drop on air :D

IMO any time you tub a street car you have crossed a line and are no longer considered sane. Just thinking that tubs are a good idea is reason to seek counseling or to start visiting YB for more than the "Photographic" section.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
Have any of you played with the Auburn Ected or the Eaton E lockers? I loved having push-button lockers on my old jeep rubicon... It seems they eliminate the clutch wearing, spider gear destroying, "am i spinning both tires equally", but yet not quite a spool, part...

Any weaknesses to them? Seems they don't cost quite that much more than a good LSD...

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
IMO any time you tub a street car you have crossed a line and are no longer considered sane. Just thinking that tubs are a good idea is reason to seek counseling or to start visiting YB for more than the "Photographic" section.

ahahahahahahahahaha

07 Boss

Reaction score
Have any of you played with the Auburn Ected or the Eaton E lockers? I loved having push-button lockers on my old jeep rubicon... It seems they eliminate the clutch wearing, spider gear destroying, "am i spinning both tires equally", but yet not quite a spool, part...

Any weaknesses to them? Seems they don't cost quite that much more than a good LSD...

I thought about the Ected but my drive line guy (Adams Driveshaft) said he wouldn't install it. He said there was a pin in there that was prone to failure. This was many years ago and I would think that they have worked around that issue by now but I always thought that that was the best of both worlds.

The only problem with E lockers is that they run as a open diff when not engaged. If you don't mind that I think it makes for a logical choice on a strip/street machine.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score

Anyone on this website still considers themselves sane??

Hah

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Wanting a locker is my sane/grown up alternative to running a full time spool like i did on my old mach1... :D

^^^

Yea im not talking tube frame full blown tubbed.

Just cut a little out for clearance, and a guy did it to his gt500 to clearance the axle's to lay the entire length of the car on the ground with air :p

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
After having a locker in my car and driving it on the street, only to break it, then switching to an LSD from Auburn, I'm much more happier. Car still 60's in the 1.4s with an almost stock suspension and it's much easier to drive on the street. I guess if it was only a track car I may consider changing it back of i broke the LSD. But the unit seems to hold a lot of power and withstand multiple launches off of the transbrake.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score

My 65' is back halved and tubbed. It is interesting driving it around. I don't take it to town but drive it around the neighborhood from time to time.

07 Boss

Reaction score

Do Mini tubs count? Just ordered some for my second gen F-body.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Do Mini tubs count? Just ordered some for my second gen F-body.

This is just my opinion based on what I've seen others do. Mini tubs are a gateway to complete insanity and sacrificing any extra money to the car.

I realize that I've spent a great deal of money changing things out on my car over the years. That is it's own insanity. Being a track rat with tubs is a whole different kind of addiction imo, lol.

It's all meant in good fun.

07 Boss

Reaction score
This is just my opinion based on what I've seen others do. Mini tubs are a gateway to complete insanity and sacrificing any extra money to the car.

I realize that I've spent a great deal of money changing things out on my car over the years. That is it's own insanity. Being a track rat with tubs is a whole different kind of addiction imo, lol.

It's all meant in good fun.

So in Your humble opinion I should seek professional help before I go fully insane? Lol. I think I'm already there. If I had the funds and ability I would tub, and back half the car. I guess I'll look into a 7-step program in my area. Maybe I will find Jesus.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back