When does fuel go bad?

08VistablueGT

Booyakasha!
Reaction score
I have about a 1/4 tank of 93 octane fuel that's been sitting my GT for about four months. Since the winter here was pretty harsh, it has been driven in about that long. Is the fuel still ok? I plan on taking the car out later tonight.

H

Hockeyman82

Do not start the motor!!! Put a hole in the gas tank from under the car and drain it and then plug the hole. The stale gas will ruin the motor or if you want. Take the intake out and turn the car on, with the bad gas, and put sand in your intake and rev up the motor. It will clean out all the crap in the motor and the sand will come out the exhaust.

H

Hockeyman82

just joking lol please dont do any of that. yes the gas will be fine.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
LMAO...i was reading your first post and thinking, "good god, this guy is laying it on pretty thick"

your gas will be fine. I would go to the gas station and fill it up that way you'll atleast have a mixture of new gas with the older stuff.

08VistablueGT

Booyakasha!
Reaction score
LMAO...i was reading your first post and thinking, "good god, this guy is laying it on pretty thick"

your gas will be fine. I would go to the gas station and fill it up that way you'll atleast have a mixture of new gas with the older stuff.

Yeah that's what I thought. I thought I would play it safe and not go WOT either until I get some fresh fuel in there.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I realize the search engine is a stranger to most... but believe it or not there is a thread on here with information on exactly what you are asking about

Search for "bad gas"

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
In case somebody stumbles across this post when searching...

If the car will be parked in weather that generates dew or frost, fill the tank. This will reduce the exposed surface area inside the tanks, preventing the formation of condensation on the tank. This condensation drains into the gas, settling at the bottom of the tank. Then the water is the first thing pumped into the fuel filter and the rest is history...:hi:

jimbo020

Reaction score
ethanol gas will begin breaking down after 4 short months. unfortunately.

Peaky85

forum member
Reaction score
Wikipedia Answer

When I raced Motocross years ago, we found that the octane level were very low after just 2 weeks. I found this on Wikipedia, highlighted a few key points, there is much more info there.

Gasoline tends to lose oxidation and deteriorate after 4-6 months of non-use and will be for the most part useless after 1 year. While it certainly will still ignite and burn, the octane content for any engines usability is severely diminished as well the gas at this point may have also become both moisture laden with water vapor, and or particulate matter if it was not in a full and sealed tank when last used.

To recondition your newly filtered old gas add in the purchased additives as mentioned earlier and add in brand new gas in a ratio of 4-1 new to old so as to thin out the old gas with new gas. You can now reuse this gas in your 4 stroke engine car, motorcycle, lawnmower, go-cart, ATV, boat, watercraft, etc. or could use it to make 2-stroke oil mixed gas.

Please note that it is NOT recommended that you use reconditioned gas in any fuel injected engines but only in carburated engines. This is due to the octane difference variables of your re-mixed gas and the computerized sensitivity of most all modern fuel injection systems.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
You aren't aware how to store a car for winter?

Next year dump in some fuel stabilizer, fill the tank, drive for 10-15 minutes, then park.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back